Its all about the fans

This is a rare speech from Glen Johnson, so indulge me for a minute please!

I think too often we get all torqued up over this drum corps bubble we live inside of. We tend to lose sight of the fact that this is really just a hobby, and we're really here to entertain other people, and have fun doing it. Really, I'm writing this in honor of my brother, and I don't want people to forget about people like him. There are many more of him than there are of us.

My brother Grant died suddenly yesterday afternoon. He was my big brother and my only sibling. He got me in to this hobby. He took me to my first drum corps show ever, which was the 1972 Dream Contest in Jersey City, NJ. Don't ask me for any details, I was 11 :) Very few people here on DCP knew him. But he was a drum corps FAN for 40 years. Just a fan. He didn't know Hy Dreitzer from a can of paint. He wouldn't know Gail Royer or Jim Costello or any other person we consider to be legendary in this realm if he tripped over them. He was a ticket buying fan. Period. He went to DCA shows and DCI shows. Drum corps was his primary form of entertainment. He's the guy that would be sitting on a seat cushion with a thermos of coffee at the crack of dawn for DCI prelims years ago, and sit through the entire thing. He'd sit through small circuit contests with corps scoring in the 30s. He used to plan his family vacation around where DCI was being held that year and drive to it. He may have missed the Caballeros' Grand Prix maybe 3 or 4 times over four decades. He spent many many thousands of dollars over the years on tickets, t-shirts, bumper stickers, buttons, all kinds of stuff. He needs to have his picture in the dictionary next to "drum corps fan" . He would strike up conversations with complete strangers at shows, usually to ask where they got their t-shirt. He had t-shirts of dozens of different corps - junior, senior and alumni.

I could go on for pages but I won't. All I want to say is, without people like my brother, we don't exist. When you design your show, don't lose the people in the stands. When you perform, don't mail it in - there are lots of people in the stands that think you're just the greatest thing and they don't want to be disappointed. In DCA, we don't have the luxury of packing the stands with Moms and Dads who are there to see little Johnny play no matter what, like the band shows. We have people there who would rather sit there in the rain or the blazing heat and watch you perform than go to the movies. Its all about THEM. There are more Grant Johnsons sitting in those bleachers than you could imagine. Now there's one less. And if you remember why we're HERE, there'll be many more to fill his seat for years to come.

Glen

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think too often we get all torqued up over this drum corps bubble we live inside of. We tend to lose sight of the fact that this is really just a hobby, and we're really here to entertain other people, and have fun doing it. Really, I'm writing this in honor of my brother, and I don't want people to forget about people like him. There are many more of him than there are of us.

My brother Grant died suddenly yesterday afternoon. He was my big brother and my only sibling. He got me in to this hobby. He took me to my first drum corps show ever, which was the 1972 Dream Contest in Jersey City, NJ. Don't ask me for any details, I was 11 :) Very few people here on DCP knew him. But he was a drum corps FAN for 40 years. Just a fan. He didn't know Hy Dreitzer from a can of paint. He wouldn't know Gail Royer or Jim Costello or any other person we consider to be legendary in this realm if he tripped over them. He was a ticket buying fan. Period. He went to DCA shows and DCI shows. Drum corps was his primary form of entertainment. He's the guy that would be sitting on a seat cushion with a thermos of coffee at the crack of dawn for DCI prelims years ago, and sit through the entire thing. He'd sit through small circuit contests with corps scoring in the 30s. He used to plan his family vacation around where DCI was being held that year and drive to it. He may have missed the Caballeros' Grand Prix maybe 3 or 4 times over four decades. He spent many many thousands of dollars over the years on tickets, t-shirts, bumper stickers, buttons, all kinds of stuff. He needs to have his picture in the dictionary next to "drum corps fan" . He would strike up conversations with complete strangers at shows, usually to ask where they got their t-shirt. He had t-shirts of dozens of different corps - junior, senior and alumni.

I could go on for pages but I won't. All I want to say is, without people like my brother, we don't exist. When you design your show, don't lose the people in the stands. When you perform, don't mail it in - there are lots of people in the stands that think you're just the greatest thing and they don't want to be disappointed. In DCA, we don't have the luxury of packing the stands with Moms and Dads who are there to see little Johnny play no matter what, like the band shows. We have people there who would rather sit there in the rain or the blazing heat and watch you perform than go to the movies. Its all about THEM. There are more Grant Johnsons sitting in those bleachers than you could imagine. Now there's one less. And if you remember why we're HERE, there'll be many more to fill his seat for years to come.

Glen

Sorry for your loss.Many times we are blessed by the actions of others.We see that in the dedication of the people each week at rehearsal.We always have that to hold on to that.Again,sorry for your loss.

Well-said, Glen.

So sorry for your loss.

Fran

People like your brother are why we do this. It's not about the competition. You can compete in a bowling alley. It's about giving your brother a reason to stand up, and that's what he did, giving the greater gift back to the performers.

Along with offering my condolences, I salute the memory of your brother, and I salute you for your statement.

Glen

Glen - deeply felt and beautifully said. I assume the massed brotherhood (and sisterhood) are holding our collective breaths as we read your moving post. Some of us have lost brothers, sisters, mentors, but none of us has felt precisely what you're going through right now. Each experience like this is unique and life changing. Thanks for letting us in as you go through this.

Edited by rayfallon

Glen,

I must tell you that yours is the most moving post I've ever read on a drum corps news group - both from the point of view of a salute to your brother and as an exposition of why we're here and why we do what we do.

I didn't know your brother, but I'm certain that I saw him at one contest or another as a part of that audience that gave us all back what we were trying so hard to give them.

I give you my most sincere condolences on your loss, but I also give all of drum corps condolences on our loss.

Tonight many of us will say a prayer for Grant - not the usual prayer of sadness at someone's death, but rather a prayer of thanks for his having been among us for so many years.

Andy

Glen

Grant, I marched many times on the DCA field and saw the dotted faces of the fans. I know I glanced at you more than once. Thank you for being there for me. I know you are now enjoying the warmth and love of many who have gone before you.

Edited by Arena Corps Guy

Glen,

Very sorry for your loss.

your words speak volumes to the very core of why most of us are doing what we do. Personally i have always felt that it is for the fans first then the judges and the score.

I hope that in time people will remember where the real performances go to.

Glen

Glen, very well said!! I am so sorry for your loss.