Music from "Chess"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so about Devils. Maybe they played One Night in Morocco, but Casa Blanca and Bangkok don't sound like a match to me

http://www.bluedevils.org/tty/index.php?ye...&programID=

I always saw Bangkok in the description and never thought it was stuff from Chess. Someone give me a timestamp so I can check it out.

There is a long, extended intro to "Bangkok" that you don't hear on the radio when they play the Murray Head version. This is the portion BD played.

I recently watched the musical "Chess in Concert" by Tim Rice, Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus. Throughout the entire show I couldn't help but think how great the music would translate to the field. Has anyone else seen this incredibly original musical?

I've read through the posts on this subject. If anyone has any doubts about the suitability of this show for "This thing of ours" I would recommend listening to Linda Eder's version of Anthem. I remember the first time I heard her disk "Broadway My Way". She covered this song and I immediately thought Vanguard. Listen, it will blow your mind.

I don't think so about Devils. Maybe they played One Night in Morocco, but Casa Blanca and Bangkok don't sound like a match to me

I always saw Bangkok in the description and never thought it was stuff from Chess. Someone give me a timestamp so I can check it out.

It was from Chess. I wrote a review on that show commenting how a part of their show sounded a little like One Night in Bangkok. A marching member told that it was...

It was from Chess. I wrote a review on that show commenting how a part of their show sounded a little like One Night in Bangkok. A marching member told that it was...

Yup. I was wrong wrong wrong. my first thought was "No Way, that was Casa Blanca". Then I remembered that Night in Tunisia was in that show also. It didn't seem like such a jump anymore. Night In Tunisia . Night in Morocco. Night in Bangkok. wherever. A twinge of doubt crosses my mind. Better google it. and all be ####ed.

I've been going back and forth this morning listening to to a Chess mp3 download that I found and the 1997 BD opener. I am still surprised. It fit so seemlessly with the As Time Goes By melody that I just assumed it was background music of the same piece.

I suppose I should not be surprised seeing how well the blended West Side Story and Romeo and Juliet the next year. Sure, those stories are basically the same, but the music is certainly not that similar.

I have a lot of respect forthat period of BD musical arrangements. (circa '96 thru '2000)

No, they did One Night In Bangkok for their opener. It starts at about 1:25 into the opener on the video. It has a few other things mixed in including some stuff from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (very briefly).

There is a long, extended intro to "Bangkok" that you don't hear on the radio when they play the Murray Head version. This is the portion BD played.

That is the part Minnesota Brass will be playing. The show has middle eastern feel and I dont think the rest of One Night In Bangkok would fit into that theme :tongue:

Edited by BrassMember

I've read through the posts on this subject. If anyone has any doubts about the suitability of this show for "This thing of ours" I would recommend listening to Linda Eder's version of Anthem. I remember the first time I heard her disk "Broadway My Way". She covered this song and I immediately thought Vanguard. Listen, it will blow your mind.

I think Crown could pull of an exclusive "Chess" show. Some of the best tracks suit CC's inspirational style, including Quartet, Nobody's Side and Anthem. Additionally, Press Conference offers ample opportunity for blazing sop runs. The middle part of the Prologue, which is long tone-heavy, could serve as preshow warmup fodder for CC's ridic hornline. The more I envision this show, the more I become convinced it needs to happen.

I think Crown could pull of an exclusive "Chess" show. Some of the best tracks suit CC's inspirational style, including Quartet, Nobody's Side and Anthem. Additionally, Press Conference offers ample opportunity for blazing sop runs. The middle part of the Prologue, which is long tone-heavy, could serve as preshow warmup fodder for CC's ridic hornline. The more I envision this show, the more I become convinced it needs to happen.

Didn't Crown do a chess show in the 90's?

Didn't Crown do a chess show in the 90's?

Yes, although the music wasn't from "Chess." I don't know that another literal chess show would be fitting...just adapt the score from the musical and do a non-themed show.