The Scores Are Coming!

I agree. One example, I was looking at 1971....Sunrisers beat Skyliners in the first show of that season, but by season's end weren't even within shouting distance of Sky....or several other corps.

Fran

HAHA ... Bobby Hamilton (RIP) had a great quote when the scores were announced: "I think they got the S's mixed up" ... LOL ...

:-)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA ... Bobby Hamilton (RIP) had a great quote when the scores were announced: "I think they got the S's mixed up" ... LOL ...

i admit i was shocked. after talking to a few skyliners after we did our show i thought sky won.

I see a few typos in 1972.

- Hamden, CT was 6/2, not 6/3.

- 6/17 "Homestead, NY" should be Hempstead.

- 7/15 "Hawthorne, NJ" was actually held in Clifton.

- 7/22 Baltimore....Sky's winning score was 86.7.

- 7/29 Carlisle....3rd and 4th corps should be Buccaneers and Yankee Rebels.

- Lineups for Scranton and Dream were transposed. Swap the names, but keep the scores where they are. (And the Dream was on 8/13, not 8/18.)

I see a few typos in 1972.

- Hamden, CT was 6/2, not 6/3.

- 6/17 "Homestead, NY" should be Hempstead.

- 7/15 "Hawthorne, NJ" was actually held in Clifton.

- 7/22 Baltimore....Sky's winning score was 86.7.

- 7/29 Carlisle....3rd and 4th corps should be Buccaneers and Yankee Rebels.

- Lineups for Scranton and Dream were transposed. Swap the names, but keep the scores where they are. (And the Dream was on 8/13, not 8/18.)

syracuse & saratoga are wrong dates also. syracuse was in june and saratoga was in 1st week in august. also i think waverly was actually norwich the following week after hershey.

On DCA archives,they left off the July 17th 1976 Providence show.

The scores are

Sunrisers-87.20

Caballeros-86.65

Bucaneers-83.30

Skyliners-82.60

Hurricanes-79.75

Scores recorded by D.C. news

Andy, even though I marched with Sunrisers (not in '71), I agree that Sky was in a different league than Sun that season. I'm not quite sure what happened at that first show.

There definitely were some wacky point and placement swings back in the day.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

now i know i'll get bombed for this but the tick system was tough. if you did a good sow one week and not so good the next it reflected in the scores. there was no slotting. in 68 sky came in 2 at prelims and 5th at finals. cru for about 5 years didn't do such a good job at prelims and we knew it. we did a better job at finals and we moved up. it all depended on how well you did. but all of you from the build up days like the system now. that's fine i guess but the corps are slotted and there are very rarely surprises. back in the day EVERYBODY had a chance to win. just my opinion.

for me at prelims i don't ever remember doing the concert. and yes it was for time saving. remember we did prelims and finals the same day. now at the A.L NATS. you had to have a different drill for prelims. you had 7-8 minutes to do your show for prelims. talk about tough.

here is where I'll disagree. In one season, I saw Westshore's score go backwards for a month and a half. I'm sorry, but i cant see a corps getting worse every week.

the tick was just as subjective as the build up system in place. if anything, I think they do a better job with numbers management today

Well, Francis, I WAS in the Sunrisers in 1971 and I don't recall ever being within about 7 points of the Skyliners that season.

Who said we outscored them at the first show? That must be a typo.

nope sun won the show. i remember it like yesterday. i was shocked. no typo there.

here is where I'll disagree. In one season, I saw Westshore's score go backwards for a month and a half. I'm sorry, but i cant see a corps getting worse every week.

the tick was just as subjective as the build up system in place. if anything, I think they do a better job with numbers management today

you really think it's impossible to digress during a season? well i disagree jeff. in all my years i saw it alot. i saw corps go up and down. yes everything is subjective. but corps can be inconsistant and with todays system that dosen't happen. this is where we agree to disagree.