A Drum Corps Blind Spot

I was actually being a smart ### because bottom line to any business is sales not fashion...If the fashion police on this site just realise they are at a drum corps show not fashion week then we can move on..lol....oo by the way i see alot more offensive clothing in the stands :-)

Well, that's not entirely true. The corps staff does indeed represent the corps, and by extension, any company signed on with the corps. That's a fact not in dispute.

My point was that there's a comfort zone that lies somewhere between looking like a hobo and looking like part of a uniformed group. That's the zone most corps staff try to fall into. I'm not against putting the corps staff in some kind of similar shirts, I'm saying it's really something the corps and it's sponsors should pay for. Preferably sponsors.

Conversely, its not too much to ask corps staff to wear at shows t-shirts or polos that are clean and wrinkle free (I went through a whole bottle of Fabreeze Wrinkle Remover last year alone).

This is an important facet of public performance. If it's a rehearsal, that's a different story. Heck, most corps have a special t-shirt the members wear for clinics and non-uniformed performances.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's not entirely true. The corps staff does indeed represent the corps, and by extension, any company signed on with the corps. That's a fact not in dispute.

My point was that there's a comfort zone that lies somewhere between looking like a hobo and looking like part of a uniformed group. That's the zone most corps staff try to fall into. I'm not against putting the corps staff in some kind of similar shirts, I'm saying it's really something the corps and it's sponsors should pay for. Preferably sponsors.

Conversely, its not too much to ask corps staff to wear at shows t-shirts or polos that are clean and wrinkle free (I went through a whole bottle of Fabreeze Wrinkle Remover last year alone).

This is an important facet of public performance. If it's a rehearsal, that's a different story. Heck, most corps have a special t-shirt the members wear for clinics and non-uniformed performances.

I agree. Staff do represent the corps, and in no way different from members representing the corps. We teach the kids to behave in public, in uniform, while wearing their corps jackets, because how they behave in public is a reflection on the organization. Why should it be any different for the staff? I think the staff should have a decent appearance when at shows, because they are in the public eye at that point. They are not on the field as the focal point, but they are there as a representative of the corps. I think the staff should look respectable in public, and they can do this by wearing staff shirts, a shirt from the souvie wagon, shirts from sponsors. You get the drift. It's not that hard.

Let's make some assumptions...

A. Sponsors are unhappy about staff dress

B. Sponsors tell DCI about it.

C. DCI tells the corps.

D. Staff continue to appear the same.

What can you infer from this?

Options

(choose 1 -- feel free to add)

1. Staff ignores corps management

2. Corps mgmt ignores DCI

3. DCI ignores sponsors

4. Staff thinks they *are* dressing up

5. Maybe it's not so simple

Corps' management is DCI. So are they ignoring themselves?

Which is it?

I agree. Staff do represent the corps, and in no way different from members representing the corps. We teach the kids to behave in public, in uniform, while wearing their corps jackets, because how they behave in public is a reflection on the organization. Why should it be any different for the staff? I think the staff should have a decent appearance when at shows, because they are in the public eye at that point. They are not on the field as the focal point, but they are there as a representative of the corps. I think the staff should look respectable in public, and they can do this by wearing staff shirts, a shirt from the souvie wagon, shirts from sponsors. You get the drift. It's not that hard.

I asked earlier but it seems what ever a person cant answer or dont want to address like PROFESSIONAL surveys they dont so I will ask again WHO descides what is presentable? I know I have taught a top 15 WGI World guard for a very long time and A Div. 1 top 10 corps and I for 1 think I dress just fine. I personally don't mind a staff shirt once in a while ( altough, I know most hate it ) BUT I wouldnt ever want a corps tee shirt. I hated them when I marched and hate them now ( Just my taste ) This has nothing to do with pride or loyalty ( Not wanting to wear a billboard )

IS there really that much of the homeless staff person, Or just a stlyle choice hmmm if it's style I bet staff will NEVER please a parent or an oletimer ( Although Im kinda been around for many years also , so Im the ole timer to. :-) )

let's take it one step further. when you see ads for any company, do you see people looking #### selling the product?

unless it's for something aimed to clean up messy kids quick, no. Nike's ads don't show the guy built like me working out or playing a sport. They show the guys with great bodies wearing workout gear that look like they spent a fortune on it ( and when you price this gear, you see indeed they did).

in this world, especially when dealing with marketing and sales, image IS everything

...its not too much to ask corps staff to wear at shows t-shirts or polos that are clean and wrinkle free (I went through a whole bottle of Fabreeze Wrinkle Remover last year alone)....

This is the relevant and persuasive point. It is not too much to ask that corps staff wear clothes that reflect positively on the organization. It shows you care about how you MIGHT be perceived.

That is the essential issue. Corps should be concerned enough about how they might be perceived to insist on that modest standard. Not jackets and ties. No fashion police. Drum corps need not be Felix Unger any more than it must be Oscar Madison. It can be presentable and appropriate without being either. It should be because appearances matter. No, it's not the most important thing. But that doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

HH

So having said all that: who's staff is out there looking like total slobs? In my years marching and teaching, the staffs always looked like...well, like your average person hanging around in the summertime. T-shirts, shorts, hats, sunglasses, all the usual sort of stuff you'd expect to see on someone at such an event; I don't remember anyone ever looking like a mess. Is there someone in particular we have in mind here or is this just #####ing for the sake of #####ing?

it's not one specific corps. it's several.

let's take it one step further. when you see ads for any company, do you see people looking #### selling the product?

unless it's for something aimed to clean up messy kids quick, no. Nike's ads don't show the guy built like me working out or playing a sport. They show the guys with great bodies wearing workout gear that look like they spent a fortune on it ( and when you price this gear, you see indeed they did).

in this world, especially when dealing with marketing and sales, image IS everything

" so easy, even a Cave Man can do it " ( Geico AD with the slovenly guy who literally looks like he jumped out of a cave )

And when you want a knowledgeable insurance agent to explain to you your best options and best coverages for your families auto insurance.... why, you can go to the dippy girl with the bad hairdo, too much red lipstick in the white waitress uniform.... she'll explain it all to you with her teenage giggle, while she chews her gum, and with her hand up against the wall for her posture control. ( Progressive Auto Insurance Co... the single largest TV advertiser in the US. )

There are HUNDREDS of products sold daily where the person in the ad is the average Joe and Jane... or even a dunce.. or a nitwit., etc.....and whose attire is anywhere from elegant, to proper, or from sub par to flat out gawdawful. So, I'm not really getting this notion that highly successful advertisers & companies only go with a phoney " The Beautiful People " look at all. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't.

Edited by BRASSO

( Geico AD with the slovenly guy who literally looks like he jumped out of a cave )

Bad example. He has a beard because he IS a caveman, but he's clean and well dressed. If you compare his facial hair, hygiene, and dress standards to many corps staff, he'd definitely come out ahead.