A Drum Corps Blind Spot

fannies in the seats happens when a) the economy is better, and 2) long time fans start to trickle back in...with music budgets being cut at schools daily, we wont have much of a following there much longer.

and Mike...if DCi ignores sponsors, then they only have themselves to blame.

If a Corps staff member shows up with a deposit check of $50,000 to the door of an instrument Mfg. to purchase some new instruments, that instrument mfg. co. rep. isn't going to turn him away because the Corps staff guy doesn't have on a polo shirt when he gives the rep. the check. They'll take the guys deposit check even if he's in his pajamas, bathrobe and slippers.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing DCI staffs to NFL coaching staffs only works to a certain degree. The main difference? NFL coaching staffs are paid well, and are *provided* with game-wear by the league's uniform and apparel sponsor, Nike. NFL coaches are also seen on national television on a regular basis, corps staffers are not.

Now if my corps or DCI had an endorsement deal with a clothing manufacturer, I'd happily wear any gear they provided and cared for. But that's simply not realistic. I'd much rather see my corps buying new equipment or reducing member fees by a few dollars rather than buying enough logo gear for our staff to wear every night (in lieu of a clothing sponsor).

I still believe this alleged problem is way overblown. While there mat be staff members of some corps somewhere that didn't dress appropriately for a DCI show, I haven't seen it. Without exception every single corps staffer I saw in 2009 looked fine, every single night.

I said on page two or three, that this issue of Corps Staff attire and personal hygiene being subpar as "way overblown"too, Kamarag. These were my exact words to that effect, too. We've got posters on here saying the problem is systemic with ( quote ) " the top 8 Corps " guilty of disregard of personal hygiene and with inappropriate attire. I don't buy it either, Kamarag.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree. Which one of those options (listed or create your own) do you think is going on?

honestly? the one with DCi ignoring sponsors

If a Corps staff member shows up with a deposit check of $50,000 to the door of an instrument Mfg. to purchase some new instruments, that instrument mfg. co. rep. isn't going to turn him away because the Corps staff guy doesn't have on a polo shirt when he gives the rep. the check. They'll take the guys deposit check even if he's in his pajamas, bathrobe and slippers.

take the check? sure. want to make them their poster boy in all of their ads? maybe not so much

I said on page two or three, that this issue of Corps Staff attire and personal hygiene being subpar as "way overblown"too, Kamarag. These were my exact words to that effect, too. We've got posters on here saying the problem is systemic with ( quote ) " the top 8 Corps " guilty of disregard of personal hygiene and with inappropriate attire. I don't buy it either, Kamarag.

yeah , cause i just make #### up on here all the time just to rile you up :ph34r:

Ok, does anyone have any actual evidence of DCI ignoring the wishes or opinions of its corporate sponsors?

Secondly, if my corps' brass manufacturer came to us and said, "Hey, we'd love for you to wear these shirts and jackets at shows." and handed us a box of swag, you know what I'd do? Pack 'em up, and wear 'em every night...with a smile on my face while doing it.

I think the general consensus is that it matters, just not to everyone.

It only matters to the people who have no say.It's just like those who feel they can re wright a show ( but never have ) or toured (but never have ) I wrote way back about PROFESSIONAL STUDIES but it was totally ignored. I can tell you coming from a major company..even 1 mentioned , which I can not disclose, If the corps was a bad rep. of the activity like brawling ( like the good old days ) so many love to bring up ,YES we would not support....staff clothing no bearing at all.

It only matters to the people who have no say.It's just like those who feel they can re wright a show ( but never have ) or toured (but never have ) I wrote way back about PROFESSIONAL STUDIES but it was totally ignored. I can tell you coming from a major company..even 1 mentioned , which I can not disclose, If the corps was a bad rep. of the activity like brawling ( like the good old days ) so many love to bring up ,YES we would not support....staff clothing no bearing at all.

That just makes no sense. It matters to those whom it matters to. Period. You can't label the group who says it matters as "The Group That Has No Say", there's just no way for you to know that.