DCI Countdown

I saw the show at the Cinemark 17 IMAX Theatre in North Dallas. About 15 people there. The video and sound quality were fantastic, sometimes the volume was even painful, which is great for drum corps. I also enjoyed all of the older show segments, especially the Blue Devils show from the 80's. The HD quality of the 2009 shows with the multiple camera angles was very impressive, making me seriously think about taking that $20 discount to buy the blue ray DVDs.

As for the low attendance at most theatres, I think this was a case of too many locations showing the countdown. A couple of years ago there would be only 2 or 3 theatres in the entire DFW area to see it. Last night there were 15 locations to choose from. It just spread everybody out too much. The small audiance in this theatre was DEAD. Not a single clap, kind of weird.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at Eagan, MN:

Best attendance we've ever had. I'm guessing around 50 people. In past years

I have recognized most people there but this year they were all new faces to me.

I'm guessing all the buzz about DCI Minnesota is generating a lot of new fans here.

Sound and visual quality were fantastic. Best production yet by DCI. Big kudos

to Tom Blair!

Edited by BDUFLS

I wonder if the technology limits the local theater's control of volume.

Either that, or it could be that the manager chooses to make 6 people watching drum corps unhappy in order to placate the 125 people in the next room over watching something else. Just a thought.

I don't understand why volume is an issue. Watching Iron Man 2 last week the theater was practically shaking at times, yet they can't bring up the volume enough to kinda sorta simulate the live music experience? This was a problem when I was at the original countdowns and it seems like they still haven't corrected it.

I wonder how many people thought the audio was too low at their theater, but no one said anything to the manager about the possibility of turning it up if that were to happen, or suggested to turn it up once it got going? I've found theater managers are receptive to our suggestions, since this presentation is outside their norm.

The audio volume was fine at our theater just north of Baltimore. We sit in the lower section since Barbara has a tough time getting up steps.... I don't know if that seating location enhances the audio experience for us or not.

Aside from us and a few other folks, the lower-seating area was empty.... but there were probably about 20-25 people or so in the upper section.

Of the five corps in this show, last year I only saw Crown and Cadets live.... so it was nice to see Cavies, Devils and Vanguard. Vanguard, in particular, really impressed us....what a great show.

The classic clips were cool, too.

And to be honest, for me it was worth the $12.50 ticket just to hear Crown's horn line again. Absolutely magnificent. :plain:

Fran

Attendance was pretty sorry at the Discover Mills theater in Lawrenceville, GA...I'd say about 12-15; I think there were too many theaters in the Atlanta area this go around. But most seemed to really enjoy the show, including myself. It started about 30 minutes late and the theater management apologized, but a free ticket or something would have been a nice gesture.

As with many others, I was impressed with this year's Countdown. 5 full-length shows is enough IMO. Clips from historical shows is best...and I really liked the way they compared historical shows to recent shows. I'd like them to keep this theme but perhaps let us vote on 5 full-length shows and then they pick clips from historical shows that have some similarity to the 5 full-length shows. It might help to create more interest and excitment to have a role in which shows will be viewed.

I was super impressed with the sound coming out of the Bluecoats and I also found the info about their strength excercises very interesting. Too early to say of course on whether or not they can challenge for a higher placement this year, but I'd be very surprised if they fell backwards with that sound.

Thanks DCI, and I hope you continue the Countdown in future years.

Oak Creek South Shore Cinema started out with NO SOUND. A guard mom went and told the manager, who turned on the sound, but at a low level. Most of Santa Clara was audible, but not very drum corps like. By mid show the sound was fine, although the segments from the 80's were louder, better balanced with the pit and seemed to show that although the drills were simpler, the production and shows were better back in the day.

(wow, it's like a record skip!)

I thought this Countdown was awesome, especially flashing back to see how corps had handled this music decades ago. People around me right away said Les Chatelaines when the chair thing came up. One person even pointed out the Skyliners had done that before too!

Attendance was about 50 or so people, IIRC.

Edited by BigDale

About 50-60 in Grapevine, TX.

With a show in a dome and volume subdued, at times it was Marching Band-esque! Then the old clips came on and the outdoor shows made up for some of the sanitary feel.

I've noticed many appreciating the Troopers clip, but I felt bad for the quality of their stuff. I know it's early, but BAC and Bloo really were miles ahead.

With the warm weather coming, it was nice to get in the mood. Only about a month away!

well, I think its pretty clear that DCI has goofed once again. The format and little historical has proven to be the killer of attendence.

Way to go DCI!. as i have said befoer, this activity will be gone in several years

I saw the show at the Cinemark 17 IMAX Theatre in North Dallas. About 15 people there. The video and sound quality were fantastic, sometimes the volume was even painful, which is great for drum corps. I also enjoyed all of the older show segments, especially the Blue Devils show from the 80's. The HD quality of the 2009 shows with the multiple camera angles was very impressive, making me seriously think about taking that $20 discount to buy the blue ray DVDs.

As for the low attendance at most theatres, I think this was a case of too many locations showing the countdown. A couple of years ago there would be only 2 or 3 theatres in the entire DFW area to see it. Last night there were 15 locations to choose from. It just spread everybody out too much. The small audiance in this theatre was DEAD. Not a single clap, kind of weird.

No one clapped at all in our theatre last night either. Not at all. This was unlike other years, where attendees were enthusiastic, and show attendeees clapped their hands at the end for many of the Corps performances. The silence was sort of weird, I agree.