Woodwinds now legal in DCI

Chris Komnick's stock just shot up again in my book. He has the balls to publically challenge Hopkins and the bandification of DCI.

We need more people with that kind of balls.

Ever since I got involved with this activity 25 years ago, I've watched Hoppy

relentlessly push to change the activity. And he does it so methodically and incrimentally. He proposes

the ridiculous and the slightly ridiculous at the same time...the slightly ridiculous passes, because

in comparison, it seems so much more rational. Then the next meeting, it's the same thing. Another

ridiculous idea mixed with a slightly less one...lather, rinse, repeat and in 2012, he has finally met

his goal of having woodwinds on the field. And keep in mind, he started proposing woodwinds and

electronics as far back as 1985. He has been and continues to be relentless.

We need more Directors to grow a pair and start opposing Hopkins

at these meetings. But I fear it's too late and he will get exactly what he wants.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?id=810

And from what the article says, at least a couple directors feel like they got hoodwinked when they voted on this.

Game on, folks.

some claim they got hoodwinked in 2002 too.

One step closer

Hoppy is DCA's best friend, he just doesn't know it.

Chris Komnick's stock just shot up again in my book. He has the balls to publically challenge Hopkins and the bandification of DCI.

don't buy it. Fiedler did too, and added amps the first season.

The thought of this has just sunk my value in drum corps to a new low..........

I enjoy my drum corps as it is..... RIGHT NOW...

Im old school... and it took awhile for the electronics for me personally, but WOODWINDS... ????

No.. this is drum and BUGLE corps...

what part, do all but 2 of the directors, dont they understand ???????????

Leave DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS ALONE !!!!!!!!!!

GO START YOUR OWN "ORGANIZATION" IF YOU HAVE TO .......

again... just my views....

The thought of this has just sunk my value in drum corps to a new low..........

I enjoy my drum corps as it is..... RIGHT NOW...

Im old school... and it took awhile for the electronics for me personally, but WOODWINDS... ????

No.. this is drum and BUGLE corps...

what part, do all but 2 of the directors, dont they understand ???????????

Leave DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS ALONE !!!!!!!!!!

GO START YOUR OWN "ORGANIZATION" IF YOU HAVE TO .......

again... just my views....

college BOA WOOOO!!!!

Didn't Blue Stars use a woodwind in their pit last summer in the preshow? Or was that one of those "Bob Barker" type stories?

Mike

THANK YOU!!! Now for this woodwind issue... many people know where I stand on this woodwind issue... now like I said before I am a woodwind player learning how to play another instrument so I too can march... but really?? Everyone just calm down... let it process for a second before concluding... yes Mike the Blue Stars did in fact use a clarinetist to play in an encore last season... if I am remembering right they played Rhapsody in Blue... thus they used a clarinet... now really the only difference in a pre-show and the encore is that the pre-show starts before the show and the encore is after the show... and both are not judged at all. In conclusion I much rather listen to MUSIC before the show instead of listening to commercials like what BD did last season... just everyone clam down and I am 100% sure that woodwinds will NEVER march in DCI...

I'll say it again. This rule does nothing to include any instruments that weren't already legal prior to this rule's adoption. All it does is codify that a corps can do whatever it wants during pre-show. Woodwinds (and whatever else) were legal in 2009, and are legal in 2010. NOTHING has changed.

If this is true, why was this necessary at all? If it's already legal, why the need for a "rule change?" The only reason I can see is to get the next camel body part inside the tent.

THANK YOU!!! Now for this woodwind issue... many people know where I stand on this woodwind issue... now like I said before I am a woodwind player learning how to play another instrument so I too can march... but really?? Everyone just calm down... let it process for a second before concluding... yes Mike the Blue Stars did in fact use a clarinetist to play in an encore last season... if I am remembering right they played Rhapsody in Blue... thus they used a clarinet... now really the only difference in a pre-show and the encore is that the pre-show starts before the show and the encore is after the show... and both are not judged at all. In conclusion I much rather listen to MUSIC before the show instead of listening to commercials like what BD did last season... just everyone clam down and I am 100% sure that woodwinds will NEVER march in DCI...

We're this far along already, with stuff everyone was absolutely certain would never fly in competition. Seems silly to assume it would stop here.