Woodwinds now legal in DCI

kamarag- I never said it would be rational. But at least it would be DRUM CORPS!!!! :rolleyes:

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe they chose not to post here, because some people wouldnt believe them anyways. maybe they do post here and have said it themselves in places, but it wasnt picked up on believed.

so fine hey dont believe me. But anything over 15 i cant believe DCI wouldnt crow about.

If they were really well connected, people would believe them.

I'm sorry, but quoting "sources" sounds a little like TMZ or Hollywood Tonight. Not very credible.

If these "sources" have info, they should have the #@$%s to post it themselpes instead of using another to disseminate their "inside" information.

This may have already been said, but Hopkins does make one good point. This is not a point of creative advancement, it's a strategic advancement. He wants woodwinds throughout the show because that opens up new opportunities to many young people that would otherwise not have the chance. I don't agree with the idea of woodwinds, in fact I hate the idea of it, but you can't necessarily argue that his point is wrong.

Sure you can. It's a fallacious point, on numerous levels. Here are two reasons why:

1. Woodwind players have been marching in DCI all through history....by learning brass, percussion, auxiliary or drum major.

2. The number of opportunities to march DCI is limited to 150 x the number of corps.

I wish there were some way to have both. Like Open and World classes, you could have Brass and Woodwind classes. I know that's a ludicrous statement, it would never follow all the way through, but it's too bad you can't somehow incorporate woodwinds in to the same level of activity while preserving the historical and "traditional" style of groups. There are just so many problems with any idea that comes from that. Any ideas that might have less cons than the current situation?

Corps can have both right now. Don't the Blue Devils have a band program already (Diablo Wind Symphony)? No one is stopping any drum corps organization from running other programs in the marching band, winter guard, percussion, dance or other related activities. Just because DCI doesn't have a marching band division doesn't mean DCI's corps can't develop marching band programs.

Thats whats so funny....its the idea that sitting behind the computer makes on more "mightier" than they are...most people I talk to here on DCP, take it for what it is, weight the merit of each fact, discussion, debate, agument...and then we all go live in the real worlf and with real people, in the activity that we love and have been a aprt of for decades..........

Jeff has many freinds,as do many people, just because the sea isnt parted on DCP doesnt mean Moses isnt standing on the banks........

G

Enjoy the eighties G.

Those that know should post here. Then we might really know what is happening instead of listening to someone quote "sources" as if they know everything.

But once again, this is just my humble opinion. Maybe Jeff is Moses. If he is, maybe he can solve all the worlds problems. That would be great!

Mike I never know when you are kidding....

Let me rephrase that....

I don't WANT to know if you are kidding or not...... :rolleyes::tongue:

You are a wise person, indeed. Some things are best left unknown.

Frankly I will NEVER believe ANYTHING on this site posted by anyone unless it's corroborated by something in black and white with sources clearly listed. Kinda like doing a research paper. Anyone can come on here and say anything and be persuasive enough to get people to believe what they say.

There's a lot in life you'll have to steer clear of for lack of adequate documentation, then.

But OK, let's do it your way. Dan Acheson told Drum Corps World that paid attendance at the 2009 DCI finals was 17,000 (DCW, September 2009, page 4). Of course, that number was an estimate given to DCW reporter Mike Ferlazzo before the publication deadline, and DCI had not completed their official attendance tallies by that time. But that's all we have in print. DCI still has not published attendance figures for any 2009 events.

You realize that when you read the staff page for a drum corps, rarely (if ever) are all of those people at a rehearsal at the same time. Corps tend to 'overstaff' in order to make sure there is coverage at all times. For example, if a corps has, say, three trumpet techs the chances are good that there are one or two people during camps, and only one at tour at any given time.

And I'm sure you already know this.

Yes, Dougie, I do realize that all those listed may or maynot be at said locaiton at whatever time.....

Im just saying that at this time, during the discussion of topic, I dont believe we need woodwinds in DCI..or for that matter...WANTED ! (IMHO)....

But on the subject of what you are talking about....overstaffing.. even though drum corps post X amount of Staff... I realize that SOME are just consulted for their

experience at a specific time.. and whatnot. FINE.. but keeping up with the Jones is killing the availability for

the normal good talented kid to march....because of finances. BECAUSE of these so-called experts of their field, I just believe that this is another example that is

bleeding this hobbie/love/interest that we love to death, financially.....Thats all.

There's a lot in life you'll have to steer clear of for lack of adequate documentation, then.

No there isn't.

But OK, let's do it your way. Dan Acheson told Drum Corps World that paid attendance at the 2009 DCI finals was 17,000 (DCW, September 2009, page 4). Of course, that number was an estimate given to DCW reporter Mike Ferlazzo before the publication deadline, and DCI had not completed their official attendance tallies by that time. But that's all we have in print. DCI still has not published attendance figures for any 2009 events.

See that's what I'm talking about. PROOF that numbers like that actually exist.

Gee, it's finally time........time to choose up sides, like when we played dodgeball as kids.

DODGEBALL..... DRUM CORPS..... AND TYPICAL DCP CONVERSATION ( sometimes ) :

From the movie " Dodgeball " With Vince Vaughn ( Peter Lefleur), White Whitman ( Ben Stiller ) :

WHITE ( Stiller )...:" Go ahead, make your jokes, Mr. Jokey....Joke Maker. But let me hit you with some knowledge. Quit now,(dodgeball game ) and save yourself the embarrassment of losing with these Losers in Las Vegas, Le Fleur ! "

PETER ( V. Vaughn)...:" Alliteration aside, I think I'll take my chances in the Tournament. "

WHITE....: " yeah, you will take your chances.

PETER.....:" I know. I just said that. "

WHITE.....: " I know you just said that. "

PETER......: Okay. I'm not sure where you're going with this. "

WHITE.....:Well, I'm not sure where you're going with this. "

PETER...... "That's what I just said. "

WHITE.....: " That's what I'm saying to you. "

PETER......: All right. "

WHITE......: TOUCHE !

Edited by BRASSO

BRASSO- Clever comeback! I can appreciate your quick wit. :rolleyes: