Barry Swain RIP

Just heard from my friend Reg Henry of the St. Rita's Brassmen alumni, about the passing of Barry L. Swain.

Many of us from the NYC, urban drum corps days knew Barry as a competitor, performer and friend.

Barry continued his distinguished drum corps career as a marching instructor, DCE/DCI judge for many years, even serving as visual caption head of adjudicators.

I knew Barry to be an vibrant,open, friendly, person who truly loved the activity he grew up in and did his level best to give back to it.

There are some touching photos of Barry on the most excellent Brassmen website:www.stritasbrassmen.org

May the grace of God bless him and keep him. stein

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sorry to hear this news.

Barry was a good man.... I believe he was on Sunrisers' visual staff for a time, in 1979 or sometime around then.

May he rest in peace.

Fran

Just heard from my friend Reg Henry of the St. Rita's Brassmen alumni, about the passing of Barry L. Swain.

Many of us from the NYC, urban drum corps days knew Barry as a competitor, performer and friend.

Barry continued his distinguished drum corps career as a marching instructor, DCE/DCI judge for many years, even serving as visual caption head of adjudicators.

I knew Barry to be an vibrant,open, friendly, person who truly loved the activity he grew up in and did his level best to give back to it.

There are some touching photos of Barry on the most excellent Brassmen website:www.stritasbrassmen.org

May the grace of God bless him and keep him. stein

For any of you drum corps historians, especially with a focus on the New York area, this is another passing that marks the end of an epoch. Barry was a true original who thought so far out of the box he would have figured something to do with the box that would have made it fun. This is another one of the big guys who can never be replaced.

And even worse - a really good guy - Barry will be missed. For those of you who subscribe to the "big drum corps in the sky" theory - it just got a whole lot more interesting up there.

Oh man, I got the chance to know Barry over the past couple of years, this is a real kick in the pants for any of us who ever had the chance to know him.

Thanks for passing the info on, very sad, but appreciated.

Barry was also recently very involved with NJA judging for TOB/TIA. I had learned the first weekend of May he was going into Hospice care. Wildwood was not the same without his unique sense of humor

on behalf of all of us with NJA and TOB, we send condolences to the many friends Barry had as well as his family. He will be missed greatly.

I knew Barry well - this is a huge loss. He will be missed by all.

All of DCA sends condolences to his family and friends.

Despite his illness, Barry was out doing what he loved...judging...as recently as this past January. He was a pleasure to judge bands with in TOB, and a pleasure to have judging my drum corps last summer in DCI.

I feel fortunate I was able to, on several occasions, swap 80's drum corps stories with a man who judge me on the field all those years ago.

He absolutely will be missed.