New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

I am ok with the established corps who have the means and who ARE the bigger draw performing additional shows on top of the standard DCI tour and being appropriately compensated for them.

The way you state it sounds like fun.........

G

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont either. However, i wanted to hear what the non voters may have to say.

I'm telling you, the loudest echo in Indy m,ay be the appluse for the no votes and Dan

Of course. This isn't about DCIs well being, and it would be impossible for Boo or anyone else to issue a press release that doesn't come off as awkward due to the fact that we basically saw folks try to oust the executive director . . . and then present a proposal that tries to make a ham handed attempt at a power grab by certain groups.

I don't blame them for steering clear, to be honest.

It's a fun "best of the best" idea for now, but you can't expect to take the cream of the crop and pit them against each other year after year and not see stagnation . . .competively, artistically and, eventually, financially.

Bingo !! And thats the bottom line, regardless of what side you are on.....Competition is the fuel of this activity, cant run without gas.

G

I'm suddenly flashing back to my Inequality in Societies course when we learned about institutionalized classism, racism, sexism, heterosexism, ableism, etc. in which the laws and structures of societies are intentionally or unintentionally designed specifically to keep the privileged groups on top of the less privileged groups.

Obviously, drum corps elitism doesn't approach the seriousness of classism, racism, etc on a grand scale, but the social model certainly does come immediately to mind. Another key difference between the two models: in the DCI model, the underprivileged groups don't merely become less and less able to bail themselves out of their situation... they die out entirely.

So why in the world would anyone implement something that's effectively a death sentence for all non-G7 corps? They often have a hard enough time gaining funds, auditionees, an influential voice... WITHOUT being explicitly labeled "non-elite." Now we're going to give them that label AND allocate those resources such that the corps that are ALREADY implicitly elite (for the year) gain further advantages?

Assuming I am correctly interpreting the situation, I believe the ramifications will be disastrous and far beyond anything that the additions of amps, synths, or even woodwinds could ever do.

Obviously, money is a big problem for most World Class corps. We know YEA is not generating the same revenue they did previously. I am guessing the same is true for many other corps. If we go down this road we very likely will see, in the not so distant future, only the seven corps pushing this proposal left as competitive, world class organizations. The rest of the drum corps will either fold or will be part of regional organizations acting as training ground for the G7. The G7 will be larger marching groups, splitting all of the pie between themselves, and, I believe, putting a very high quality, entertaining product on the field. It will not be what we grew up with and will leave a lot of fans of corps not in the G7 bitter and lost to drum corps forever.

I am guessing some of the G7 may not survive financially if this proposal is not enacted. If money was not a problem, this would not be considered.

if there is significant enough backlash, some of them may be hurting anyways.

I know for one, even if given a free ticket I would not attend a G7 show

For those who are mentioning that they only go to see shows of these top 7, what's wrong with the current way of things that's stopping you from going to these corps at the same shows? Don't you go to regionals to see only the top corps anyways? What difference does it make if there are corps there that you don't see? Sure there may not be as many fans there for the lower tier corps, but they get to see their favorites and then the elite groups.

Also looking at this from a member standpoint, my friends talk about how much fun it is to go perform a show early in the day, then see the top groups perform later in the day. Why should we deny them that opportunity?

I am ok with the established corps who have the means and who ARE the bigger draw performing additional shows on top of the standard DCI tour and being appropriately compensated for them.

If that's all it was, I'd be all for it too. But that's not all this is.

I am glad they admit to be open and honest. but...it does sound like they are at least partially on board.

so, it's either we cave to them, or have nothing. that is a ####### lousy way to look at it.

Flame on?

My point is these corps are not going to go back to a less complex show - the costs are not going to go down. The G7 believe they hold the hammer and they are now going to use it. Not much fans of drum corps can do. For older fans it is sad, especially considering the corps I marched with seems to be looking in from the outside despite two consecutive 8th place finishes.

I will put you in the bitter column.

I'm more worried about a barrier for those corps "knocking on the door to excellence". I mentioned earlier in another thread that there are corps who are on the rise, and they could possibly provide your definition of excellence in a show. Why should they all of a sudden be denied that opportunity to become great?

Right now we don't know that anyone would denied entry, or what the barriers would be to join the G7. I imagine there has to be something in the proposal to allow the number to grow and to shrink as needed. This idea seems founded on the Tour of Champions model - and even references those performances - yet the Madison Scouts were part of ToC and are no longer consistant finalists. Excellence changes over time, for good and for ill, and surely this proposal recognizes that.