New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

I was wondering what happened to my poll, but I now see what the mods did with my poll topic.

Thank you, your solution was appropriate to avoid duplicate posts.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, good for SCV for getting their version of this out ahead of other sources like DCW. It's a smart PR move, something others could learn from. Though we have to realize this is as spun and biased as the posts on this forum.

Second, it will be interesting to see if there will be similar announcements from the rest of the seven, or if this will be the definitive statement on the issue from the entire group. (Note: Guess it is.)

Third, one wonders if there will be any sort of formal response from the corps outside the G7. Probably not, but we'll probably get some sort of response through informal channels (or DCW).

Fourth, there is much in this release that is left unsaid. Where the cuts in DCI infrastructure are to occur according to the plan, what a closer marriage to scholastic music entails (though these events, which do sound exciting, are clearly designed for the marching band market), how new corps would be admitted (and, maybe, other corps removed) from the G7, what changes are being proposed for pay allocation, etc.

There's no language hinting at isolating the G7 in their own class, which would be truly disastrous. The question of how other corps can get in on this new gravy train is paramount. The language of the article implies that this will be a financial burden, rather than a boon, for the 7 . . . that's one thing in this announcement that I don't buy. They'd benefit without a change in revenue allocation, so asking for one really does strike me as going a little too far.

Nonetheless, there are some good ideas here. I look forward to hearing perspectives on the issues from outside the G7.

Edit: Just read the DCW article. :lookaround:

Edited by Rifuarian

The 60 pages need to be looked at carefully. These new shows are said to be in ADDITION to the existing touring set-up. There are only so many nights available in the summer and perhaps more importantly, only so many weekends. How they do this with no negative impact on existing smaller shows that one or two of the powerhouses attend at present, or the big weekend shows that go towards seedings for quarters/semis will have to be buried in their.

I would appear on first sight though that the super-seven plan on being there whatever, and that others may be able to add themselves to the proposal if they meet whatever set of criteria they have come up with.

Open class. - Carry on as best you can.

IMO, the current touring touring model for DCI's World Class corps needs to be changed/modified at some point, because I think the current model is unsustainable.

I have no idea what the answer is to the problem, but it is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Fran

Fran, can you help me understand your thinking?

Did you mean the model was unsustainable from the corps point of view, or the paying audience, or something else?

I think you mean economics from the corps' point of view ie miles traveled to each event, but I don't have any idea about who gets paid what for local or regional shows. If you have some insight, I'd like to hear it.