Electronic%20Battleship%20(3).JPG

clearly, G7 is a miss.

you sank my drum corps circuit

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruckner, Plan9, Matt...you're all focusing on the division structure, which while somewhat unfair to current member corps, is a smaller part of the issue.

What about the proposal to oust Acheson? What about the proposal for the G7 to take over (and presumably profit mightily from) the operations of the entire circuit? Can you see how that's slightly outrageous?

And to those that keep saying "well gee, it's only a proposal, and nothing worth worrying about": consider the fact that 7 corps met separately, formulated this course of action, and then proposed it to the rest of the member corps as an exclusive subset of the current world class corps where they would get special privileges. How do you think the relationship between the G7 and the non-G7 corps directors is right now? Dan Acheson alluded to it; there's some serious damage done there, even just as a proposal. The fact that the G7 were willing to present such an extremely divisive proposal to the rest of the member corps, knowing what their reaction would be, shows that they are more than ready to push forward with this. How is that not clear?

It seems like the support for this plan consists largely of two points of view: 1 - looking only at the on-the-field competitive aspect of the proposal and 2 - a refusal to believe that the G7 might be willing to sacrifice the rest of DCI to increase the profitability and sustainability of their individual organizations.

From dci.org

From the desk of the DCI Executive Director

Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 7:32 PM

My Dear Friends:

Last evening seven member corps of Drum Corps International simultaneously posted a press release. Shortly thereafter an article was posted on the independent Drum Corps World website titled "DCI member corps divided on group's future direction and leadership." Both the press release and the article were the result of discussion and action taken recently at a regularly scheduled DCI Board of Directors meeting.

One can only conclude from reading the press release and the article that there is a philosophical division among the member corps as to the best course for the future of Drum Corps International. Unfortunately this is true. Some of the actions taken in the past several weeks could be interpreted to be either detrimental to the future of the organization or perhaps a necessary discourse to lead the drum corps experience into a positive direction. Others may contend that this is a dark moment in Drum Corps International's 38-year history, which in its very own mission statement claims to be "a cooperative fraternity of its member drum corps."

I would be less than genuine if I tried to make a statement without expressing how concerned I am that the differences among the member corps have brought the organization to such a level of disagreement. However, as frustrating as this can be when discussions become mired in egoism and self-righteousness, I know all of the corps representatives are noble in their pursuit of what they perceive to be the right direction for Drum Corps International. The passion runs so deep among the individuals who serve as the DCI Board of Directors and among the representatives of the DCI Member Corps, that at times, the magnitude of the figurative explosion that sometimes occurs can be staggering.

Because of recent governance related events, these passionate corps leaders have a long way to go to come back together as a "cooperative fraternity" in order to determine a direction for the future. After 22 years in the DCI boardroom, I can say I have never seen anything quite like this. However, I do know each corps leader is equally compassionate toward the other as well as their respective corps. One of the truly spectacular aspects of DCI's fraternal dynamic is that no matter the background, no matter the different points of view, no matter the underlying competitiveness, there has always been compassionate resolve in the end that serves the entire collective.

I have been asked from time to time when the drum corps activity might cease to exist. My answer is simple; when the passion to preserve the collective interest and consideration for all who wish to participate goes away. I frankly do not see that happening any time soon.

Now, I realize many fans and participants want all the facts of what has taken place and want to dissect every word of every statement to get to the truth. Certainly, I respect the passion held by them. They too are concerned for the future of the drum corps experience and for that I am truly grateful. However, it is time for the corps leaders to join together, and with the DCI staff and the fans, focus on delivering the best experience to date for the amazing participants in all groups who will take the Drum Corp International stage this summer. We owe them nothing less than a magnificent experience, and we owe the volunteers and professional staff around them the support necessary to make this happen.

Although I am realistic about the depth of our governance challenges today, I am confident we will endure and emerge an even stronger organization. Thank you for your continued support of the drum corps experience and the cooperative fraternity of its member organizations, Drum Corps International.

Most Sincerely,

Dan Acheson

Executive Director/CEO

Drum Corps International

Marching Music's Major Leagueâ„¢

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=9...db-e743bb101e38

interesting...and a few shots fired too, in terms of comments re:egoism and self-righteousness. Not normally what Dan would say publicly.

very interesting

Great post by Dan, except where he says we should't have access to what's gone on. I'm a bit disappointed by that.

Once thing is for sure, he put the ball in G7's court.

well....i can understand why. if as heated as has been suggested, comments could be revealed that could really turn the fandom loose into ugliness. So...while I wish more transparency was evident, I understand to a degree why there isn't. If some comments I've been told of leaked out..wow...it would make rules congress post vote posts and posts after finals seem really tame

Finally someone tells it like it is. Don't be naive people. Certain Directors - Gibbs and Hoppy first and foremost,

do not play nice in achieving their goals. They told Scott Stewart in a meeting back in 97 that he would either

stop resisting them and their agenda or be pushed out of the activity (if anyone doubts this - feel free to call or e-mail Scott personally and ask him about that meeting) They told him they were sick of the Drum Corps activity and

were going to change it into "Super Marching Band". If he would just go along with them, he would also share

in reaping the same financial benefits that they were going to. He said to them "If you are so bored with

this activity then why don't you get the F*** out!" Now I admit, Scott wasn't exactly diplomatic, but that's

how he is. He doesn't pull any punches. But the point is, these guys tried to pressure, persuade and intimidate

another Director rather than listening to his proposal. They had already made up their minds as to what they

were going to do and they were going to use any means neccessary to get there. Scott and many others

predicted this scenario 12 years ago and now it is materializing before our eyes. And there are some

of you who are so willingly naive to suggest we wait and see what happens!

Yes, we are the willing, the ignorant and the naive. Now that you and "nemesiscorps" have set us on a path of certain truth and the "real story" we should all be grateful for saving us at the precipice. See how easy that is...you just say things on the internet and people believe you. It's really quite simple. Good night you Princes of Maine, you Kings of New England!

then why the demand for more votes and less office in DCI HQ? Surely, that's not to the benefit of all

Well....this presupposes that they ("G7") see themselves as a "cabal" of sorts. We don't know that! We do know that it's about marketing and customer reach. Why do think Crown has found its way into this august group? It sure as hell ain't because of their long history of top 3 participation. They're there because they are forward thinking and crazy good (and recently consistent - ala "competitive inertia"). They're there because they now personally understand the concept of being "raised up" above the din by the fans and they know it is positively palpable and needs to be stimulated with more of the same quality stuff. PR knows it too...they've been there, faltered a bit and are itching for another shot at it! Mason made his bones on this type of thinking and it doesn't take much imagination to see him taking the Scouts back into it...soon! It's #### exciting! Boston, Blue Stars and Troopers had a big taste last August and I assure you it was not a bad experience and a huge motivator for them to bring it up a notch (my guess is, their camps were electric)! As far as the rest of the field....bring it on! Join the raindeer games and surplant the G7, but you can't do it looking behind you.

Finally, it's illogical (and a bit insane) to imagine the "current" G7 don't care about the other corps in lower tiers and are of the mind to crush DCI and thin the field. Lose all but about 10 baseball teams and see what happens to baseball! :thumbup:

Yes, we are the willing, the ignorant and the naive. Now that you and "nemesiscorps" have set us on a path of certain truth and the "real story" we should all be grateful for saving us at the precipice. See how easy that is...you just say things on the internet and people believe you. It's really quite simple. Good night you Princes of Maine, you Kings of New England!

Thank you Plan9! You're a much needed breath of fresh air in this thread.

Edited by corpsband

Ah, personal attacks eh? Okay.

I recognize your ignorance to my lived experience, and the things that I know to be true. You obviously assume (wrongly) that my "diatribe" has something to do with current trends in show design, instrumentation, etc. Frankly, I couldn't care less about those issues, and you ironically cited two of my favorite shows/corps from 2009 to make your ignorant point. Issues related to program design, synths, and all of the typical things that consume our daily conversations on this site are of minimal importance as it relates to this current issue. My previous comments speak to the very purpose and health of this activity, and the corps that comprise its existence, and those individuals with the most influential ability to strengthen drum corps' future as a whole, but instead have repeatedly shown little propensity to do so.

As a former Division I corps director, I saw first hand how these same tactics being currently used by the G7 corps destroyed strong competitive circuits, strong corps, and the very lives of strong leaders within this activity. You do not know the things that I know, unless you were somehow present during the DCI/DCM meetings leading up to the demise of DCM, the decline of Wisconsin's only former DCI World Champion, and the dismantling of the former DCI Div. II/III structure.

The assault tactics used today are the same as in the past, and the names of those responsible have also not changed. Admittedly, I do not believe all of the G7 directors are "evil-minded" individuals, but I do believe that the moral and ethical decision making over the years by some of them is less than impressive as it relates to a sense of responsibility to the health of the whole activity. During previous years, their agenda was made quite clear, as well as their vision for the future of this activity. They've done a fabulous job thus far of moving that agenda toward fruition, to the delight of some and to the detriment of others. The difference now is that this latest assault, perhaps the final one, is directed at all that is left of the junior corps activity outside the G7 units.

I'd be happy to debate these issues with you in a civil manner; that is if you have the ability and/or willingness to be objective about what history has to tell us. Otherwise, I'll try my best to simply brush aside your attacks, and stay tuned to what's happening next to our activity. You're right about one thing though, I do need to decompress. This madness has brought back some rather sad and painful memories.

wow. I applaud you sir more than I have any DCI corps since 2004

If you believe that, then this whole G7 thing is meaningless, right? You're basically saying "If lower seeded corps actually get better, and start beating higher seeded corps, they'll get more recognition."

WELL DUH. DAYUM.

So how will G7 prevent Pioneer from succeeding? Be specific.

fewer shows. less money, and no votes on the board to help determine the future of DCI.

and thatsjust to start

Exactly right. Then why do you despise those corps who strive to serve kids by providing the best opportunity for excellence they may never experience again in their lifetimes?

Why the hate on corps who make it their #1 goal to be Excellent?

because when they want to slowly eradicate everyone else, who's left?