• against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yeah, of course it's about money. Nothing wrong with that. Every discussion about the future of the activity and every decision made should be about money. The activity won't survive without it.

I think it's about money.

Exactly! But money is an outcome, not a plan!

Well yeah, of course it's about money. Nothing wrong with that. Every discussion about the future of the activity and every decision made should be about money. The activity won't survive without it.

I love it when you play dumb. Ok, how about I clarify: It's about a few corps wanting MORE of the available pot of money, at the expense of the other corps, who will see less money. THAT, is a formula where some corps Don't survive IMO.

Well....this presupposes that they ("G7") see themselves as a "cabal" of sorts. We don't know that! We do know that it's about marketing and customer reach. Why do think Crown has found its way into this august group? It sure as hell ain't because of their long history of top 3 participation. They're there because they are forward thinking and crazy good (and recently consistent - ala "competitive inertia"). They're there because they now personally understand the concept of being "raised up" above the din by the fans and they know it is positively palpable and needs to be stimulated with more of the same quality stuff. PR knows it too...they've been there, faltered a bit and are itching for another shot at it! Mason made his bones on this type of thinking and it doesn't take much imagination to see him taking the Scouts back into it...soon! It's #### exciting! Boston, Blue Stars and Troopers had a big taste last August and I assure you it was not a bad experience and a huge motivator for them to bring it up a notch (my guess is, their camps were electric)! As far as the rest of the field....bring it on! Join the raindeer games and surplant the G7, but you can't do it looking behind you.

Finally, it's illogical (and a bit insane) to imagine the "current" G7 don't care about the other corps in lower tiers and are of the mind to crush DCI and thin the field. Lose all but about 10 baseball teams and see what happens to baseball! :thumbup:

very good thinking

Edited by Getintoyourcolor

The ALMIGHTY "G7", I thought that is was the almighty TOP 12 that set the rules. With these corps thinking themselves the ELITE of the junior drum corps world, how does that make the other 14 corps in the WORLD CLASS feel ??

The letter by Dan Acheson says they are trying to do what's best for all of junior drum corps in North America.

YA, as long as they are in the World Class category !!

Dan's letter doesn't even mention the OPEN CLASS and their touring problems. In the past 10 years I have enjoyed more OPEN CLASS shows, than the BIG BOYS !!!

Come on DCI get your act together and get the touring thing fixed...for the corps, the FANS and most importantly the kids in the corps !!

Edited by Walter

I love it when you play dumb. Ok, how about I clarify: It's about a few corps wanting MORE of the available pot of money, at the expense of the other corps, who will see less money. THAT, is a formula where some corps Don't survive IMO.

Buy a dog....then kick it! :thumbup:

You certainly named yourself accurately! :laughing:

This unsubstantiated diatribe would qualify for, what the British refer to as "Tommy Rot"! Yeah, those wascally Carolina Crown and Cavaliers have really crudded up the scenery with their activity destroying shows. And those demon corps BD and SCV spending the first part of their tour with one corp from east of the rockies each year. Real selfish! :thumbup: You need to decompress.

Ah, personal attacks eh? Okay.

I recognize your ignorance to my lived experience, and the things that I know to be true. You obviously assume (wrongly) that my "diatribe" has something to do with current trends in show design, instrumentation, etc. Frankly, I couldn't care less about those issues, and you ironically cited two of my favorite shows/corps from 2009 to make your ignorant point. Issues related to program design, synths, and all of the typical things that consume our daily conversations on this site are of minimal importance as it relates to this current issue. My previous comments speak to the very purpose and health of this activity, and the corps that comprise its existence, and those individuals with the most influential ability to strengthen drum corps' future as a whole, but instead have repeatedly shown little propensity to do so.

As a former Division I corps director, I saw first hand how these same tactics being currently used by the G7 corps destroyed strong competitive circuits, strong corps, and the very lives of strong leaders within this activity. You do not know the things that I know, unless you were somehow present during the DCI/DCM meetings leading up to the demise of DCM, the decline of Wisconsin's only former DCI World Champion, and the dismantling of the former DCI Div. II/III structure.

The assault tactics used today are the same as in the past, and the names of those responsible have also not changed. Admittedly, I do not believe all of the G7 directors are "evil-minded" individuals, but I do believe that the moral and ethical decision making over the years by some of them is less than impressive as it relates to a sense of responsibility to the health of the whole activity. During previous years, their agenda was made quite clear, as well as their vision for the future of this activity. They've done a fabulous job thus far of moving that agenda toward fruition, to the delight of some and to the detriment of others. The difference now is that this latest assault, perhaps the final one, is directed at all that is left of the junior corps activity outside the G7 units.

I'd be happy to debate these issues with you in a civil manner; that is if you have the ability and/or willingness to be objective about what history has to tell us. Otherwise, I'll try my best to simply brush aside your attacks, and stay tuned to what's happening next to our activity. You're right about one thing though, I do need to decompress. This madness has brought back some rather sad and painful memories.

Buy a dog....then kick it! :thumbup:

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. You disagree, I guess.

And we only treat them that way as long as they keep beating the rest of the corps. How many people followed Madison Scouts in that manner the past few years?

It is human nature to want to see the winners, whoever they may be. If Pioneer and Cascades start winning this summer, people will be in the lot watching them while the G7 are on the field.

If you believe that, then this whole G7 thing is meaningless, right? You're basically saying "If lower seeded corps actually get better, and start beating higher seeded corps, they'll get more recognition."

WELL DUH. DAYUM.

So how will G7 prevent Pioneer from succeeding? Be specific.