"FA16" vs "G7"

I did not intend to imply that the "G7" are not real drum corps, and I apologize if I hurt somebody's little feelings. My point was that these elitist corps believe that they are drum corps and nobody cares about the other 16. I marched before many of you were born and I remember the amount of teaching that went into the activity. That doesn't happen with the so-called G7. They let the other corps do the teaching and they enjoy the results of someone elses hard work while saying that they are "the act".

That's what I meant by "real drum corps". If that hurts your feelings, live with it. I'm sure the individuals in these corps work hard but the attitude of their management diminishes all of that.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the G7 lost all creditibility when they said they are the draw, they deserve the power, they deserve the money, and the rest do not matter.

Wow, so since you were there and can shed so much light on the situation, please give us the run-down!

How can you even suggest seriously that they "said" anything..?...

I know many of those directors personally and thats not something any of them would "say" or "agree" to or anything else.

office_space.jpg

It's a Jump To Conclusions Mat. You see, there's this mat, with different....conclusions... that you jump to!

~Michael

Edited by BigHoosierMack

if the vote was 12-9 then 2 of these "corps" voted with the Gordon Gecko 7 - meaning against their brethren and AGAINST their own well being?

Which West Coast lemmings was it? Academy? Pacific Crest?

Just saying....

FWIW, I believe that vote was cast to change the make-up of the DCI Board, as I think the majority of the Board was made up of G7 corps, and the other corps wanted a fair representation on the Board. I could be wrong, but that's how I read the write-up about the meeting (and for what it's worth, I also interpreted the vote the same as you did upon first read).

And the G7 lost all creditibility when they said they are the draw, they deserve the power, they deserve the money, and the rest do not matter.

Of course that is not what they said, but it makes for good hyperbole.

Come on people. Really? You may like the other 16 corps, but they do not bring in the money. The only time any of my students ever say they are going to a show for any corps other then the G7 is when they have a personal affiliation with the corps. Other then that there IS a definite line between the corps that put butts in seats and the rest.

It's reality. Reality might hurt some feelings. Tough.

Well, that's all nice and all, luvs me some mello!, but the reality is that the reason the G- 7 are scrambling for more dough now, is because the G-7,.. ie the " TOP ACTS ",.... don't " put butts in the seats " like they used too.

It's a smaller pie now, and the G-7 are looking to recoop by taking a bigger slice. That in a nutshell, is what this fundamentally is all about.

Edited by BRASSO

Honestly.....I think this idea is dead on arrival.

However, I will say this..... If they divide drumcorps, it will create a dissention in the activity unmatched and ultimately destroy any resemblance to the drumcorps we know and love today.

The USFL died a slow and painful death.

The IRL/CART split in 1996 destroyed open wheel racing in America, and when they figured it out in 2009 and reunited, they realized quickly that you cannot rebuild what you once had. ......and nobody cares anymore.

If you water things down and divide things up or create elite systems, you only alienate people. It doesn't make sense from any angle.

the dissention is already there in spades

You lost all credibility when you said that the top corps aren't "real drum corps".

That is where you go from stating your opinion to looking like an ###

agreed. while i may not like some of the top corps products, they are still corps until a woodwind comes into play

I did not intend to imply that the "G7" are not real drum corps, and I apologize if I hurt somebody's little feelings. My point was that these elitist corps believe that they are drum corps and nobody cares about the other 16. I marched before many of you were born and I remember the amount of teaching that went into the activity. That doesn't happen with the so-called G7. They let the other corps do the teaching and they enjoy the results of someone elses hard work while saying that they are "the act".

That's what I meant by "real drum corps". If that hurts your feelings, live with it. I'm sure the individuals in these corps work hard but the attitude of their management diminishes all of that.

Frankly, that's just plain naive and borderline moronic. If you honestly believe there is no teaching at, say, Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, etc. I can't even begin to take anything you say seriously. You're spouting hyperbole to legitimize your emotions.

I'd love to hear from some recent Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, etc. who can let us know how they manage to do what they do with no teaching. While the levels of teaching are obviously different (just as the TYPE of teaching/skill set is different between Ohio State and Stanford), and the make-up/instructional needs are different in comparison to Blue Devils and, say, Cascades. But to suggest that that teaching "doesn't happen with the G7" is nonsense.

well...your former director calls them a marching band. is that ok to you?

It's fine. I get it, people post things out of passion.

However, I'm not going to just ignore it when someone calls my former corps not a real drum corps. When someone starts calling out what I did and saying I didn't work hard and that I wasn't in a real drum corps I'm not going to just sit back and take it.

Come on people. Really? You may like the other 16 corps, but they do not bring in the money. The only time any of my students ever say they are going to a show for any corps other then the G7 is when they have a personal affiliation with the corps. Other then that there IS a definite line between the corps that put butts in seats and the rest.

It's reality. Reality might hurt some feelings. Tough.

but they do bring in many members for the corps that do make the money.

now imagine that supply dries up. how long do you think the G7 lasts?