The most underrated shows of the last decade

This show belongs in the "most overrated of the past decade" thread.

Crown's " Triple Crown " show got the level of fan appreciation it deserved in my opinion.

Star '93 ( while a good show ) sets the bar at the unsurpassed level, imo... for the" most overrated show"...ever.

• Like 2

I would say 2004 Phantom - Apasionada. I mean yes, they got 4th place, but if I recall correctly, it wasn't a well received show. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the music for that show should have gotten much more recognition. It's always my go-to year when talking about Phantom shows (you know, besides 03, 07, and 08).

• Like 2

I would say 2004 Phantom - Apasionada. I mean yes, they got 4th place, but if I recall correctly, it wasn't a well received show. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the music for that show should have gotten much more recognition. It's always my go-to year when talking about Phantom shows (you know, besides 03, 07, and 08).

Agree. This was an underrated show.. at least musically, imo. Wonderful ballad in the middle, I thought.

2003 Cadets - "Our Favorite Things" I'll probably have to dodge assassination attempts after saying this, but here it goes: this is my favorite version of "Malaguena" ever. Even better than any of the Scouts' versions. Maybe they shouldn't have beaten BD, but they were only a few tenths behind on my scorecard, not 1.7.

I listen to the 2003 top seven more than any other CD from the aughts. "Phenomenon of Cool", "Spin Cycle" (Cavaliers' best original music), "Our Favorite Things", "Harmonic Journeys", "Pathways", "Bravo", and "Capture and Escape" make for a great listening experience.

2007 Blue Devils - "Winged Victory" How can a championship winning show be underrated? Well, in my book, not enough people consider it in the discussions for "show of the decade." The Devils' best show of the decade, IMO.

Not a favorite of mine, but perhaps you can answer the question I've posed a few times on these forums, to no avail: how did they create the deep, "wah-wah" sound that sounds like a synth effect before there were synthesizers? And is this what some people have termed the "Jabba" sound? I spotted that term, but no explanation of how the sound was created. As far as I can tell, there are no close-up shots of the pit when the sound can be heard.

2007 Phantom Regiment - "On Air" Saw it live, still can't believe it was scored as low as it was. Should have been ahead of the Cavaliers, even with the Cavaliers' visual edge. Phantom's 2nd-best show of the decade in my book (behind 2008, but AHEAD of 2003).

Didn't see any drum corps live between 1999 and 2009 (seeing "Spartacus" in QF broadcast after a four-year viewing gap brought me back, though Cadets' "Pursuit of Happiness" nearly drove me from the theater) but spent the past year or so catching up with what I missed, using the Legacy and 2000s DVDs. This was the last year I watched, and I liked this show more than the higher-ranked "Faust" from the previous season.

2008 Santa Clara Vanguard - "3hree" Not sure this show gets the difficulty credit it deserves. And inspired show design and performance. Top 5 for me in 2008. Third best SCV show of the decade (after 2004 and 2000).

An excellent show with a great design. I also very much liked the show it beat, Blue Stars' "Le Tour", more than their 2009 and 2010 offerings.

2007 Carolina Crown -- Triple Crown

This show belongs in the "most overrated of the past decade" thread.

It's delightful to hear, but I was a little disappointed when I finally watched it.

2006 Cadets ("Volume 2: Through the Looking Glass") -- Possibly the most mind-boggling show from the Cadets. I think the biggest problem with the crowd and this show, is the fact that most people were so disappointed in the direction the corps was taking, they never actually watched this show with an open mind. I also remember some very rude crowds, including the one at finals. I definitely thought this was one of the most talented guards to ever take the field. And the visual program, although a little busy was fantastic. Definitely a show that took several viewings, with an open mind, to really take in the whole thing. I wasn't excited to have the vocal solo, but she did do a fantastic job, and it actually did fit the show.

Ah, the Lord of the Rings show. "Busy" is the right word for it.

With regards to some of the other shows that have been brought up...

2004 Phantom - loved it. Possibly even more than 2003. Very underrated show.

2005 Vanguard - I enjoyed this show a lot, but man, that horn line was bad. Bad bad bad. They were never in tune with one another the entire show, and you could really hear it in their intervals.

Not a favorite of mine [2007 BD], but perhaps you can answer the question I've posed a few times on these forums, to no avail: how did they create the deep, "wah-wah" sound that sounds like a synth effect before there were synthesizers? And is this what some people have termed the "Jabba" sound? I spotted that term, but no explanation of how the sound was created. As far as I can tell, there are no close-up shots of the pit when the sound can be heard.

I know exactly the sound you're talking about. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that a live member of the pit was making that laughing sound, and the Devils used the microphone and/or speakers to "warp" the sound lower. It wasn't an electronically CREATED sound (illegal at the time), just an electronically ADJUSTED sound (legal).

However it was done, it was brilliant. I loved it. :thumbup:

Edited by hostrauser

I know exactly the sound you're talking about. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that a live member of the pit was making that laughing sound, and the Devils used the microphone and/or speakers to "warp" the sound lower. It wasn't an electronically CREATED sound (illegal at the time), just an electronically ADJUSTED sound (legal).

My memory (not always reliable) is different regarding the legality of that sound. As I recall, electronics prior to 2009 could only be used to amplify. Electronically altering sounds - as synths can do - wasn't permitted. BD got away with one. At least, that's what I remember.

HH

I may be the only person on DCP who liked it but I thought Madison Scouts 2007 was very entertaining. And get this - I even liked the uniforms! :thumbup:

• Like 1

My memory (not always reliable) is different regarding the legality of that sound. As I recall, electronics prior to 2009 could only be used to amplify. Electronically altering sounds - as synths can do - wasn't permitted. BD got away with one. At least, that's what I remember.

HH

I have no inside information, so I could be wrong; maybe a BD insider or someone in the know will clarify.