The most underrated shows of the last decade

cadets 01

phantom 07

scv 2000

(Clears throat...)

This may be a pet peeve of mine, but when mentioning shows, please add WHAT the show was (with maybe a repertoire selection or two) so all who saw it live or on a recording can relate to what you're talking about. For those who have been around the activity awhile, years tend to blend together. Saying "Corps A 2003" does little to remind many just what show to which you're referring.

Spirit 01 and 02, Magic 02.

That accelerating pit run in "Methods of Madness" remains my favorite to this day. The other thing I remember being fascinated by was the very opening when the brass did those rotating "Doppler Effect" sounds while moving to the side. Rotating 360 degrees while keeping the block solid was beyond amazing.

Think that's actually my 2nd favorite BD show, edged out for the top spot ever so slightly by '94.

I think it was 2006...Crossmen

I believe it was the "radio" show. One of the "new" Crossmen shows I have come to like since they made the move to San Antonio.

Bluecoats 2008...as cheesy as the "Rocky" theme was I think it was a great show. And who could forget the "speed bag" bass drum solo?

Think that's actually my 2nd favorite BD show, edged out for the top spot ever so slightly by '94.

Chick Corea's "My Spanish Heart." My jaw dropped during that.

• Like 1

That accelerating pit run in "Methods of Madness" remains my favorite to this day. The other thing I remember being fascinated by was the very opening when the brass did those rotating "Doppler Effect" sounds while moving to the side. Rotating 360 degrees while keeping the block solid was beyond amazing.

Phenomenal brass that year. Not that this is original thinking, but I still say BD should have won brass this year but not the next, and vice versa for the Cadets.

Samurai

Agreed.

I got a few dvds (year and number of corps) 2004-24, 2007-36, 2008-12, 2009-12 (cool stuff). I'm missing 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006. So far, 2000 and 2005 are looking good to get. (I'm an underrated gal who usually cheers for the underdog). If you all can help me decide what to get next; that would be nice :-)

Are you familiar with the shows from the years you are missing? If not, the only correct answer is 2000. :tongue:

Spirit 03 (TIME), amazing show with tributes to the greats during October and great hornline with good guard and drumline.

Funny that you should mention this show. Without having read this thread until just now I took out 2003 DVD last night and watched this show specifically. The flashback segment and the Jim Ott ending still brings tears to my eyes just like it did live.

Edited by ozarkbugler

Man lots of shows get lost or forgotten along the way, but here's a few of my most underrated shows:

2006- Blue Devils- Godfather- One of my favorite shows, but Cavies and Phantom were just magical that year!

2004- SCV- Scheherazade- Sorry for spelling, but this show was awesome- Still wished they hadn't had the down ending, but none-the-less.

2000- SCV- Bartok/Barber- Adagio for Strings, Adagio for Strings, Adagio for Strings.... maybe one of my all time favorite music books that's kinda gotten forgotten about over the years.

2001- SCV- New Era- A theme here? I am a big SCV homer, but the 2001 New Era show was cool, the intro alone with the lullaby interupted by the full out corps hit- genius. Short Ride in a Fast MAchine- nuff said!!

2000- BK- Montage- This was by far the best corps my team ever had, and it was a progression of many years of the corps staying together and believeing that they could break into the top drum corps tier. Great drill, maybe Robbie Billings best? Musically well put together, loved the middle section with the ballad then the latin tune and then back to the ballad- Very Cool. Dennis DeLucia had said in a documentary back in '97 or '98 that "corps like the Blue Knights while consistent finalists would likely never be a top 6 corps." It was fun to grin at that statement and watch my buddies enjoy the fruits of many years of hard labor. 2001? Well that's a different story, but I digress!

Crown- 2005, 2006- Can't remember titles of shows, but couldn't we all see the corps growing to what they've become today? The hornlines started to grow into a monster and they became more and more consistent. All the while they endeered themselves to fans and we all became sold. Important to not forget about the corps that put Crown into position to do what they are doing today!

Those are just some of my underrated shows.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Are you familiar with the shows from the years you are missing? If not, the only correct answer is 2000. :tongue:

The short answer to your question is no; long answer, I started marching in 68, last contest I attended was 83, had a corps reunion in 06, reminisced and spent the last 4 years trying to catch up to a moving target; was hoping 2000 had 36 or 24, I'll order 12 pending exchange rates...05 and 06 are tempting too, what am I going to do? ;-)