Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

So...for years we have been pointnig out attendance was down. For years those in defense of the activity have been denying it. Amps and electronics and increased membership were added and we were told it was good to expand the audience and the activity.

Now, we see attendance is down, corps need money and , all because those in charge rammed these changes down the activities throats with no research to find out the real outcome...and here we are, 2010, seeing the same thing. A half/baked, unresearched "powerpoint" presentation of a wish list of things the G-7 "hope" to achieve with no real evidence or research that this will work or give them what they hope....mre fans, more money and a stronger activity.

"We have to do something" some will claim.....This is the answer ???

G

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugly presentation, but very interesting content. I cannot disagree with much of what I read. Something needs to be done to increase interest in drum and bugle corps and at least a few people had the balls to step up and make a recommendation. I see a lot of people complaining about what the G7 is proposing, but I am not seeing any alternatives. I guess most prefer the status quo which will result in drum corps' continued slide into obscurity.

Weren't 11 1/2 minutes, 150 members, electronics, synths, and fake smoke and Miley Cyrus at finals, supposed to help fix those things?

We mustn't forget that it were these bright ideas that were brought to us by the same 1 or 2 people behind the current proposal.

Not everything can be blamed on the economy.

Go look at YEA!s 990 financial reporting and you'll get a clearer picture of where this idea originates, especially if you compare it to the other corps.

The economy may have been tough since 2008, but it was the leadership of these same corps that got us to this point.

George wants the "new DCI" to have a nest egg of half-a-million in five years. Go look at DCI's 990 and see how much they've got now.

Edited by garfield

I think the retroactive part is where it says that you can get permanent G7 membership if you place in the top 7 three years in a row. It is retroactive so that they can include Crown

It's there to protect PR because of their 9th place finish last year.

Warming to me would be a dangerous proposition.

As we speak, the G7 have already contacted us selfish, elitiest, mindless followers and have ordered us to let air out the tires of Non-G7 tour buses and put Ex-Lax in their evening meals. G7......it's a movement! :tongue:

Now THAT was funny as h3ll! :bleah:

Incorrect. While your assertion that promotion/demotion can take place in addition to performances, it's also clear that finishing in the top 8 gets you into AAA

This is not true. Finishing top 8 does NOT guarantee you a spot in AAA.

It says right on page 35 that the "board of DCI" can move a corps from one class to another by a 2/3 vote. On the previous page, the "board of DCI" is defined as the Greedy7 and 3 other elected representatives. This means that the Greedy7 can vote to deny everyone else the opportunity to be in AAA, as 7 out of 10 is more than the 2/3 necessary to make that decision.

How can a one-year promotion be "retroactive to 2008"? :tongue:

Are you kidding? You think it is OK for 30% of DCI to plot among themselves in conflict with DCI's interests and bylaws, as long as it is a "working document"?

Retroactive to 2008 means if you were in the top for the past 3 years retroactively you're in AAA. Not sure how that's confusing (well not anymore confusing than any other "retroactive" provision).

As for the 2nd question...well...yes. I think it's perfectly ok for 1 or more corps to work together to form and present proposals. And DCI's interests and bylaws are what the membership votes them to be. There's no conflict of interests since the G7 were/are members in good standing. Are you suggesting that the G7 somehow violated DCI's bylaws in bringing forward this proposal?

OTOH I fully understand the initial reaction of the rest of the membership. This whole debacle was handled about as badly as it could have been. But members in good standing should feel free to make proposals to the BOD whenever they like. In fact I would hope that if/when a member sees a problem and comes up with a possible solution they'd feel *obligated* to bring it forward.

So...for years we have been pointnig out attendance was down. For years those in defense of the activity have been denying it. Amps and electronics and increased membership were added and we were told it was good to expand the audience and the activity.

Now, we see attendance is down, corps need money and , all because those in charge rammed these changes down the activities throats with no research to find out the real outcome...and here we are, 2010, seeing the same thing. A half/baked, unresearched "powerpoint" presentation of a wish list of things the G-7 "hope" to achieve with no real evidence or research that this will work or give them what they hope....mre fans, more money and a stronger activity.

G

I am absolutely disgusted by the proposal.

Amps, electronics and all the tricks GH has rammed down our throats has ruined this activity.

To those in charge. Please save this activity, and bring it back from the brink. GH has his own

agenda, and until people see it, we are headed for disaster.

G

So the answer is?

Mallet instruments were not legal in 1972 and 1973, and in 1974 through 1976, only bells and xylophone were allowed, and they had to be worn around neck. (SCV got a neat vibe sound by putting on the field in 1974 a set of old Deagan alto bells that Gail Royer found in his bandroom.) In 1977, vibes and marimbas were allowed, but they also had to be worn around the neck and there were still only two mallet players allowed. Four mallet players were finally allowed in 1978, but they still had to wear the keyboards.

This from someone who wore a xylophone and marimba around his neck and still has the bad back to prove it.

OK, so 1978. Fine. But you very informatively missed my point. The OP suggested "new fangled" instruments in the pit like "bass guitars". Wouldn't you agree that even today's pit mallets have a long position in corps? From fielded, to grounded, to concert-sized, mallets have been around since Gail weighed 180 pounds?

Hardly "new fangled", eh.

With a hat tip, again, to your incredible knowledge base, and now your ability to still walk...

EDIT: fixed "informatively"

Edited by garfield

Ugly presentation, but very interesting content. I cannot disagree with much of what I read. Something needs to be done to increase interest in drum and bugle corps and at least a few people had the balls to step up and make a recommendation. I see a lot of people complaining about what the G7 is proposing, but I am not seeing any alternatives. I guess most prefer the status quo which will result in drum corps' continued slide into obscurity.

how about the part where the non AAA corps get locked out of the best show dates which will give them less income, and force them to die a slow death?

I agree that this proposal is great if you want a national touring Greedy7 show though.