Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Yes, Sir. A "name" doesn't mean you're good at number management or that you know how to be diplomatic and positive when you phrase your commentary on the fly when you see 15 kids fall musically flat on their faces right in front of you and not get up, which happens more than one thinks it does.

And really- is it really ethically right for a one non-profit to pull thouands of dollars out of another non-profit to make money for themselves?

Also, I know of USSBA units that have sponsored a ToB contest in the Harrisburg area because they knew the band parents will turn much, much more of a clear profit for hosting the contest then they would if it were a USSBA one. Before that, a local Harrisburg band switched over, went whole hog, and turned a very profitable show with good attendance with ToB into a serious fiscal loss in one year. Lesson learned by that individual cutting off his nose to spite his kids' face, he's been gone, and the band and contest is ToB again, and turning a nice profit for the parents, thank you very much.

Heard similar horror stories down in the Frederick, MD area where a USSBA show net several thousand dollars, parents saw only a couple hundred dollars at the end after paying all of the fees. Again- is it really ethical for a non-profit to be fueled like it is by other non-profits? Maybe to some, yes, but to me and to some other folks, no.

And yeah, I've been yelled at by a couple guys here on DCP when I've held the clipboard and recorder in my hands, it's part and parcel of the job and I don't mind. I can look in the mirror afterwards and know I was honest and fair, I know Jeff's the same way. :tongue:

There are horror stories about every circuit. BAnd, drum corps winter guard and yes TOB also....many

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intersting point about why there are so many people watching in the lots.

It's because a lot of their horn music and percussion warm-up routines are more fun to watch and listen to then their actual competition shows!!!!

Why do you think there's a plethora of those things up on YouTube that gets tons of hits with people asking for the B-Flat 9 and Shotgun warmup chords and people comparing them from corps to corps, LOL?

Heck, the one year I went to East recently, the best thing that happened was when we left the show and we watched Crossmen play "Russian Christmas Music" for Spirit and Spirit playing "Georgia on my Mind" for the Crossmen. Awesome moment, but shouldn't the best moments we see at a show be the actual show performances, Not the warm-ups and special things the kids do to get hyped?

That's why the people are out there. The actual shows aren't as entertaining... which is very, very sad.

I don't know, I'm not really getting worked up about any of this or anything. I'm more embarrassed for GMichael that he feels so threatened by my opinions that he feels the need to try to discredit and write off everything I say as kool-aid drinking. It is pretty sad that the debate turns in to that for some people when there are people who don't toe the DCP party line on everything.

The most ridiculous part is that I don't even like or support the majority of the proposal, but I'm a kool-aid drinker because I don't think the directors of the G7 are some mustache twirling cartoon villains tying the non-G7 corps to the railroad tracks

There are horror stories about every circuit. BAnd, drum corps winter guard and yes TOB also....many

I won't deny ToB has had its issues at all. It certainly has. We've been working hard over the past year-plus to try and mend fences, and fix the negatives.

That being said, we offer very good value both educationally and monetarily- the Music Parent organizations are getting more of the money in their pockets, which is where it should be.

A single contest with corps of all classes *IS* less competitive, I agree, BY DEFINITION, because it places undue expectation on the lower corps. But over time, as the system works itself out, the audience will come to recognize that A-class is competing with itself, not AAA. We're kidding ourselves right now (and missing a marketing opportunity) by selling a show with 8 corps, when we all know only two of them have a legit chance of "winning." I think it would be good to setup the program like a marching band show:

Surf (A)

Teal (A)

Spirit (AA)

Madision (AA)

Boston (AA)

SCV (AAA)

Cadets (AAA)

The audience would become knowledgeable about it, and expectation would be set, and thus disappointment would be less likely. "Hey I wonder if Boston has made it to AAA this year! They were so good last year, 7th overall, best in AA!" Stuff like that would be fun to talk about.

A single contest with all corps of the same class is pure competition, again BY DEFINITION, since they can compete with each other in the same level of expectation.

The trick is to come up with a tour that has the right mix of shows with all classes, and shows of same class.

I think placing the corps into small groups like this is a horrible idea. It is not like marching band where there are usually dozens of bands in each class.... plus in most states (and at BOA), the class sizes are determined by school size..... not competitive success. In the scenario above, what if Boston had a killer show and was in direct competition with SCV and Cadets the whole year (yes, that could happen), but quite a bit ahead of Madison. If they had been 5 pointing Madison the whole year, who do you think would win this particular contest in AA?..... and why would you want to deprave BAC of the potential upset one or both of the two AAA corps just because they are in a different class?

I really don't believe that competition drives newbie fans to the shows. Maybe they talk about who they thought was better/how the judges got it wrong after the show, but if they didn't know anything about DCI, why would they care if Cadets were consistently 10 points better than the Scouts? They would go to be entertained. I would say that the only people who already have pre-conceived notions about where corps will finish are the knowledgeable fans.... and that's just the point..... they have already grouped the corps in competitive classes in their own minds..... so I don't see the point in officially doing it, just to make it "interesting." Last year, I personally loved the summer-long battle between BAC, Blue Stars, Phantom and sometimes even Blue Knights and Glassmen...... Yes, it was not for the "top" of a specific class, but what difference does it make?

I just don't see the point in separating very similar groups. If you want to make Mandarins, Cascades, Pioneer etc... a different class, I guess I could see a point. They participate in less shows and are generally smaller in size. But I see no reason to separate the Madison Scouts and Carolina Crown (Madison just beat them 5 years ago). There is not that big of a difference.

The most ridiculous part is that I don't even like or support the majority of the proposal, but I'm a kool-aid drinker because I don't think the directors of the G7 are some mustache twirling cartoon villains tying the non-G7 corps to the railroad tracks

Neither do I, but let's not parse words here on DCP.

What we need to do dbc03, is figure out some sort of organizational heirarchy for the Go-G7-4. Personally, I feel corpsband is the most equipped to lead us... You can be VP. I'll mix the Kool-Aid, and Cadet2000 can pass it around.

this is such a horrible idea. talk about more segregation much and giving a the huge middle finger to the other world class corps. just because you may have championship rings on your fingers, and a lot of money does not mean you work harder than the rest of the corps, and does not make you more superior than anyone else. where is crown pulling out of this? they just started getting "good" in '05. and their championship performance this past year was not second place worthy, they performed that show better at other times during their season. i wonder why hopkins and others resigned from the BOD. and what about open class? dont most members start out there to train for world class or because they cant march a full summer? this is the worse idea ever its like the "elite 7" is korea.

Neither do I, but let's not parse words here on DCP.

What we need to do dbc03, is figure out some sort of organizational heirarchy for the Go-G7-4. Personally, I feel corpsband is the most equipped to lead us... You can be VP. I'll mix the Kool-Aid, and Cadet2000 can pass it around.

Oh no. I'm a naive innocent (makes me sound young-- I'm digging it !)

I nominate Tekk !!

Edited by corpsband

I won't deny ToB has had its issues at all. It certainly has. We've been working hard over the past year-plus to try and mend fences, and fix the negatives.

That being said, we offer very good value both educationally and monetarily- the Music Parent organizations are getting more of the money in their pockets, which is where it should be.

and others are doing the same !!!!!!

If people or Bands..guards..corps..whatever ,didnt want to be in a certain place then they dont have to be. Hey I spend over 4 grand in WGI fees a year...do i like it? HELL NO..Do i think WGI officials are all for thmeselves no matter what they claim? With many in that office YES.. Will I not take my groups go to Dayton. I will go for many resons including the competition and the experience at Nationals. The best I can do ( As I see it anyway ) . Is be a voice, if its popular or not, no butt kissing, when i see something wrong or I dont agree with , voice it and be in a position to make a small chage if possible.

SO pot shots at another band circuit doesnt fly because someone can throw it right back in spades. JMO

This!