Sustainable Drum Corps

I like your ideas, KGT. It has a lot of the successful elements of drum corps of the 70s and 80s (not the audience judging part, of course, but overall) and what Scott Stewart wanted when he predicted something like G7 would come to pass, and it's what we've gotten away from to our detriment. Whether it can work again, I don't know, but I like it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted these thoughts in another thread. Here they are with some additional views:

Right now, DCI (and DCA) presentations work mostly to central seating. If the activity can find a better way to enthrall those who might be seated at the 20,15, 10, etc., I'm all for it. Only then will those "lesser priced" seats be filled.

Seats in central sections under the current model are way too pricey to attract first-time viewers. If we're lucky, we'll attract first-time viewers to our lower priced outer seating . . . and then what? They're not likely to wowed by their initial contact with what we can do.

Honestly, there's got to be a way make the experience more personal to those who happen to sit "low on the 15."

We don't seem to have a problem selling seats in the center, it's the outer fringe that needs some help. Let's face it, there is where the newest fans usually sit. If they can't make much out of the sound, the visual, etc. even paying far less per ticket is little consolation.

One simple solution is to insist on the old trooping the stands component. When we pass in review, stop briefly on the first 20, turn and blow their faces off. Then stop briefly again on the second 20 and do it again.

I know darn well, if the family next door gave our event a shot (at the lowest price seat) I'd be somewhat apprehensive about asking "Well, how'd you like it"? Geez, I don't want to sit out there, do you?

I hear what you are saying but I believe there are compelling reason to do just that. First, the probability that the home corps will win the show should help get more local fans in the seats. The local dignitaries doing the judging should also be selected to provide an attendance draw as well. The second reason is to ensure that an entertaining product is produced by rewarding the corps for doing so. The current disconnect between judging criteria and audience appeal does not serve us well. The only way to ensure survival is to gain an audience base large enough to support the activity. That is the only measuring stick that matters in the end so it might as well be the measuring stick used.

With a 50/50 split between audience appeal and technical excellence I would think the winning group would have to best balance both aspects. I would agree that there should be a regional final and a national final that does not use local judges. For those shows a panel of impartial judges with ties to music and dance should be used to provide that part of the score.

Will we have uneven result throughout the season? Yep. Will it make it harder for us die hards to micro analyze every aspect of a performance? Absolutely. I think for too long Drum Corps has been looking inward trying to impress itself with it's own genius. It is time for it to start looking outward and sharing it's passion with the public.

the judging system doesnt care about entertainment. if it did, then different champions would have happened in more than a few years.

Plus, local celebs often have their own agendas, especially if politicians, and that can end up getting in the way of what everyone is there to see...drum corps.

the judging system doesnt care about entertainment. if it did, then different champions would have happened in more than a few years.

Correct and exactly why a new way of judging is needed

Plus, local celebs often have their own agendas, especially if politicians, and that can end up getting in the way of what everyone is there to see...drum corps.

I don't quite get how the local celebs get in the way of enjoying the presentation. People are there to see the shows, not the score announcement at the end. Plus the local crowd will enjoy the home town team coming away with a win. Happy fans = happy return customers.

I don't know if either of us is right or wrong but I do enjoy the discourse.

-kg

Correct and exactly why a new way of judging is needed

I don't quite get how the local celebs get in the way of enjoying the presentation. People are there to see the shows, not the score announcement at the end. Plus the local crowd will enjoy the home town team coming away with a win. Happy fans = happy return customers.

I don't know if either of us is right or wrong but I do enjoy the discourse.

-kg

i'm not saying the current system is fool proof. far from it. But local celebs have their own agendas, and will do what they can to insert their agendas.

case in point...the Hershey show used to have a well known local weather man come in and give a "live" weather report. well it turned out to be less weather, more hype and plugs for his station. Another time, a local mayor, in a hot race to retain his job was at a show...and instead of talking about the show and the great things drum corps provides, he talked about why people should vote for him ( he lost thank God).

and....fan voting is just that...fans. Great we all want to be entertained....but a hot mess that is loud but not good shouldnt get part of the prize because they are just loud....and that's what you'll see.

I was thinking that in the midwest area without Phantom and Cavies you could have a hell of a local circuit still.

DCI

Blue Stars

Colts

Madison

Pioneer

Glassmen

Blue Coats

Blue Knights (a little far)

Troopers (a little far)

DCA

Kilts

Govenairs

Minn Brass

Just a few...sorry if I missed anyone or the cadet corps.

I was thinking that in the midwest area without Phantom and Cavies you could have a hell of a local circuit still.

DCI

Blue Stars

Colts

Madison

Pioneer

Glassmen

Blue Coats

Blue Knights (a little far)

Troopers (a little far)

DCA

Kilts

Govenairs

Minn Brass

Just a few...sorry if I missed anyone or the cadet corps.

after the death of DCM and comments that came out after that, I see some lack of trust there between the two sides

i'm not saying the current system is fool proof. far from it. But local celebs have their own agendas, and will do what they can to insert their agendas.

case in point...the Hershey show used to have a well known local weather man come in and give a "live" weather report. well it turned out to be less weather, more hype and plugs for his station. Another time, a local mayor, in a hot race to retain his job was at a show...and instead of talking about the show and the great things drum corps provides, he talked about why people should vote for him ( he lost thank God).

and....fan voting is just that...fans. Great we all want to be entertained....but a hot mess that is loud but not good shouldnt get part of the prize because they are just loud....and that's what you'll see.

very true

As much as I agree it would be nice to keep the DCI brand name I don't see it as a viable option for several reasons. The DCI money stream heavily relies upon large venue ticket sales and audio\video sales. With the G7 gone the large venues are not possible and audio/video sales will be a fraction of what they are today. In addition DCI is saddled with contracts for office space, Lucas Oil stadium and probably other things they will no longer be able to sustain. They will be insolvent with no G7.

A new governing organization should have a limited scope and run on a shoe string budget. They would have 3 functions:

1. Promote, produce and organize finals.

2. Sell audio/video products.

3. Set competitive rules and sanction judges.

There is no need for the organization to have a physical office or to have paid executive staff. I can see a need for a few paid organizational assistants to answer phones and shuffle paperwork. Everything that can be cost effectively outsourced should be.

The traditions and legacies come from the Corps' themselves, not DCI. Whether the DCI name is retained or not those will remain intact.

I like it. Any chance of keeping the DCI brand name and doing this? If DCI is going to go, don't let the G7 have it. Let the G7 peel off and then restructure. Keep it simple.....good ideas.

Bringin back retreat with each corps playing a tune with their horns straight at whatever yard-line they're stationed at and maybe playing a tune while marching off would be a good thing too. Perhaps the corps could be lined up something like: 1-12-4-6-9-8-5-7-10-4-3-11-2 instead of 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12. That way when they play themselves of the audience in outer rows get to hear different hornlines...

Just another thought... :thumbup:

I posted these thoughts in another thread. Here they are with some additional views:

Right now, DCI (and DCA) presentations work mostly to central seating. If the activity can find a better way to enthrall those who might be seated at the 20,15, 10, etc., I'm all for it. Only then will those "lesser priced" seats be filled.

Seats in central sections under the current model are way too pricey to attract first-time viewers. If we're lucky, we'll attract first-time viewers to our lower priced outer seating . . . and then what? They're not likely to wowed by their initial contact with what we can do.

Honestly, there's got to be a way make the experience more personal to those who happen to sit "low on the 15."

We don't seem to have a problem selling seats in the center, it's the outer fringe that needs some help. Let's face it, there is where the newest fans usually sit. If they can't make much out of the sound, the visual, etc. even paying far less per ticket is little consolation.

One simple solution is to insist on the old trooping the stands component. When we pass in review, stop briefly on the first 20, turn and blow their faces off. Then stop briefly again on the second 20 and do it again.

I know darn well, if the family next door gave our event a shot (at the lowest price seat) I'd be somewhat apprehensive about asking "Well, how'd you like it"? Geez, I don't want to sit out there, do you?