27th Lancers Reunion Corps

I need to find, preferably, a DVD or an on-line recording of the 27th Lancers Reunion Show. Can anyone help?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The 27 Reunion Corps was so freakin cool...To me what made it so cool was the history there , the music played, the signature rifle moves, color, all of it. I wonder if STAR will be able to do the same this year. YES everyone can't wait to see them but will it have the same impact. Dont know ( For me anyway ) 27 was a classic and will be hard to match. Not that it has to match at all. Guess Im just not as excited as I was when 27 was coming back, JMO

The 27 Reunion Corps was so freakin cool...To me what made it so cool was the history there , the music played, the signature rifle moves, color, all of it. I wonder if STAR will be able to do the same this year. YES everyone can't wait to see them but will it have the same impact. Dont know ( For me anyway ) 27 was a classic and will be hard to match. Not that it has to match at all. Guess Im just not as excited as I was when 27 was coming back, JMO

Star doesn't compare to 27TH. Lancers were a storied corps. Star was a corps started with a ton of money who competed for what, 10 years? Please.

In true Lancer fashion, no alumni corps will touch what we were able to do. We were the first corps invited by DCI - and we took 18 months to prepare for a 10 minute performance. As Drum Corps World reported "Blue Devils with the title, 27th wins the show." We were generously acknowledged by the audience. Since then, there has been a huge movement towards alumni corps starting up - and it was been great for the entire activity - bring long time friends back together.

To compare Star to 27th....I respect Star's ambition - but the comparisons need to stop right there. In Oct 1967, 27th rose from the ashes of another corps, former members and new members worked together, and fought for the right to compete against many odds. The corps true theme song is "The Impossible Dream" and those member back in 1968 planted the seeds. We competed in an era when every corps was fighting for membership, for respect, and for fund raising. High school bands were abhored, college bands were right behind them.

When it came time to determine their own destiny, a group of 13 corps formed DCI in the fall of 1971. George Bonfiglio was DCI's first President. The rest is history.

Our alumni corps in 1994 had former members from every year of the corps existence, and anyone with prior marching experience was invited to march. I was so thankful to march with those older members - I got to march with my "Lancer rifle" wife who is younger than me. Another treat was that I was able to play tunes from my favorite Lancer corps (Wee MacGregor) and I am sure others were thrilled to play Crown Imperial.

As a marching member in 1994, (quads) and instructor (bass drum line) - it was perhaps the highlight of my marching career with 27th.

I enjoy seeing all of the other alumni corps - Boston Crusaders Alumni, St Joe's of Batavia, Hawthorne, Blessed Sac, Madison, Anahiem, St. Kevin's Emerald Knights, The Defenders, the Pembroke Imperials, etc., but none has come close to doing what we did.

In true Lancer fashion, no alumni corps will touch what we were able to do. We were the first corps invited by DCI - and we took 18 months to prepare for a 10 minute performance. As Drum Corps World reported "Blue Devils with the title, 27th wins the show." We were generously acknowledged by the audience. Since then, there has been a huge movement towards alumni corps starting up - and it was been great for the entire activity - bring long time friends back together.

To compare Star to 27th....I respect Star's ambition - but the comparisons need to stop right there. In Oct 1967, 27th rose from the ashes of another corps, former members and new members worked together, and fought for the right to compete against many odds. The corps true theme song is "The Impossible Dream" and those member back in 1968 planted the seeds. We competed in an era when every corps was fighting for membership, for respect, and for fund raising. High school bands were abhored, college bands were right behind them.

When it came time to determine their own destiny, a group of 13 corps formed DCI in the fall of 1971. George Bonfiglio was DCI's first President. The rest is history.

Our alumni corps in 1994 had former members from every year of the corps existence, and anyone with prior marching experience was invited to march. I was so thankful to march with those older members - I got to march with my "Lancer rifle" wife who is younger than me. Another treat was that I was able to play tunes from my favorite Lancer corps (Wee MacGregor) and I am sure others were thrilled to play Crown Imperial.

As a marching member in 1994, (quads) and instructor (bass drum line) - it was perhaps the highlight of my marching career with 27th.

I enjoy seeing all of the other alumni corps - Boston Crusaders Alumni, St Joe's of Batavia, Hawthorne, Blessed Sac, Madison, Anahiem, St. Kevin's Emerald Knights, The Defenders, the Pembroke Imperials, etc., but none has come close to doing what we did.

I think were saying the same thing :tongue:

We were generously acknowledged by the audience.

I would say that might be the understatement of the year. :tongue:

I wasn't at the show that year, so I only saw the Lancers' reunion performance on video... and the audience reaction on the video.... holy mackerel. I can only imagine what that was like in person.

Star was a corps started with a ton of money

You make that sound like a bad thing.