The OFFICIAL 2010 Spirit Thread

So, I feel that Spirit deserves its own discussion thread for once. In '09, the only prominent thread about Spirit during the season was that thread about the bass guitar, and in '08, there were no prominent threads about Spirit. I feel like it's time to change that, and I'd be happy to start the discussion!

I went to their Memorial Day picnic today. It was great to see some old friends, but I'm sure none of you care about that...you want to know about the show! Well, yes, the full corps did perform their entire 2010 program. First of all, you'll be happy to know that there is no longer any bass guitar. Yes, there are still electronics, and I will go into more detail on those in a second. All this being said, the show sounds AWESOME. It's intense, it's exciting, and above all, it's aggressive as hell! The opener reminded me of Phantom Regiment's 2008 opener in how it grabbed you from the very beginning and didn't let go until the very last hit. I would tell you which selections are featured in the opener, but because I'm not entirely familiar with the source music, I wasn't able to pick much out.

With the ballad, however, they made it a point to mention that the entire ballad was Michael Daugherty's "Brooklyn Bridge." It features several soloists (trumpet, mellophone, and baritone), and after an interrupting but short percussion break, the hornline really gets to shine in a very nice climax. I definitely wasn't the only one in the room with goosebumps! Then, the ballad goes without pause into the closer, which begins with a nice percussion break. From that point on, it just keeps building and building and building (in both intensity and volume), and the corps really unleashes at the very end. To quote a friend, it was "balls loud." The hornline sounds fantastic for having only been together for a little over a week so far. A friend who's currently marching tells me that they're rehearsing much more efficiently this time around. Considering that that had typically been a problem in years beforehand, I'm glad to hear that things are taking a change for the better. I'm no expert in percussion or colorguard, but every section of the corps looked incredibly solid for this early in the season.

Now for the electronics. We were in a small room, so it was hard to pick out every little detail, but they'll be using various kinds of machinery-related sound effects this year. As you know, the concept of the show has to do with "forging an icon," the icon in question being the Delta. Since the deltas that the members wear are made of metal, they decided to make the concept be about forging the Delta in the same way that one would forge, let's say, a horseshoe or a sword (way back when). So yes, it's kind of a factory show, but it didn't feel anything like the Blue Stars' show this past season. Also, since this show is about the Delta essentially, expect many Deltas in the drill. It's been a few years since they had those, no?

Also, I was able to sneak a peak at the new uniform. I happened to see somebody getting fitted for it. I won't give out any details, but I will say this - it's VERY different. It's not at all what you might be expecting. I don't think I could compare it to any previous Spirit uniform. However, it absolutely works, and it looks great! Very, very slimming on the members, too.

Well, that's about all I have for now. Hopefully we can keep this thread alive throughout the season and support Spirit this summer! :tongue:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I feel that Spirit deserves its own discussion thread for once. In '09, the only prominent thread about Spirit during the season was that thread about the bass guitar, and in '08, there were no prominent threads about Spirit. I feel like it's time to change that, and I'd be happy to start the discussion!

I went to their Memorial Day picnic today. It was great to see some old friends, but I'm sure none of you care about that...you want to know about the show! Well, yes, the full corps did perform their entire 2010 program. First of all, you'll be happy to know that there is no longer any bass guitar. Yes, there are still electronics, and I will go into more detail on those in a second. All this being said, the show sounds AWESOME. It's intense, it's exciting, and above all, it's aggressive as hell! The opener reminded me of Phantom Regiment's 2008 opener in how it grabbed you from the very beginning and didn't let go until the very last hit. I would tell you which selections are featured in the opener, but because I'm not entirely familiar with the source music, I wasn't able to pick much out.

With the ballad, however, they made it a point to mention that the entire ballad was Michael Daugherty's "Brooklyn Bridge." It features several soloists (trumpet, mellophone, and baritone), and after an interrupting but short percussion break, the hornline really gets to shine in a very nice climax. I definitely wasn't the only one in the room with goosebumps! Then, the ballad goes without pause into the closer, which begins with a nice percussion break. From that point on, it just keeps building and building and building (in both intensity and volume), and the corps really unleashes at the very end. To quote a friend, it was "balls loud." The hornline sounds fantastic for having only been together for a little over a week so far. A friend who's currently marching tells me that they're rehearsing much more efficiently this time around. Considering that that had typically been a problem in years beforehand, I'm glad to hear that things are taking a change for the better. I'm no expert in percussion or colorguard, but every section of the corps looked incredibly solid for this early in the season.

Now for the electronics. We were in a small room, so it was hard to pick out every little detail, but they'll be using various kinds of machinery-related sound effects this year. As you know, the concept of the show has to do with "forging an icon," the icon in question being the Delta. Since the deltas that the members wear are made of metal, they decided to make the concept be about forging the Delta in the same way that one would forge, let's say, a horseshoe or a sword (way back when). So yes, it's kind of a factory show, but it didn't feel anything like the Blue Stars' show this past season. Also, since this show is about the Delta essentially, expect many Deltas in the drill. It's been a few years since they had those, no?

Also, I was able to sneak a peak at the new uniform. I happened to see somebody getting fitted for it. I won't give out any details, but I will say this - it's VERY different. It's not at all what you might be expecting. I don't think I could compare it to any previous Spirit uniform. However, it absolutely works, and it looks great! Very, very slimming on the members, too.

Well, that's about all I have for now. Hopefully we can keep this thread alive throughout the season and support Spirit this summer! :smile:

Can't wait to see the show. No guitars please. :tongue:

Thanks for the show details. Metal deltas - interesting. C'mon, give us a hint about the unis. What color, at least?

Mike

Trust me dude, I would love to tell you about the uniforms, but the corps simply doesn't want them to be made public yet. For the colors, I'll say this - blue, black, white, grey. Trust me, though - any idea you have about this uniform is not even remotely close to what it actually looks like.

One other thing - the hornline also played a new version of "Salvation is Created," and a new version of "Georgia." With "Salvation," one of the brass staff arranged it so it's slightly longer than the original, and it sounds wonderful. The only real change to "Georgia" is that it's in a different key. Everything else is the same aside from that.

Thanks for the update!!! I was planning on going but $$ matters didn't allow this year.....It's a bit longer of a drive now too. OH well, can't wait to see them soon.

Sounds promising, definitely looking forward to it. Thanks for the update and getting a discussion thread going this early in the season.

Thanks for the update!!! I was planning on going but $$ matters didn't allow this year.....It's a bit longer of a drive now too. OH well, can't wait to see them soon.

I hear you on that one Billy.

I can't wait to see what Spirit is up to this summer, can't wait to see everything at FIRSTbeat.