Remember when...

Andy, how bout that stretch at the end of the season also. Today they wrap up what, early August? And I understand why, but do you recall the Penn Jersey Championship in 1963. We were battling on October 6th. BuRRRRRRRRRRRRR. And the Livingston Hilltoppers show was always mid or late September.

DCA wraps up Labor Day weekend, not early August.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCA wraps up Labor Day weekend, not early August.

Hi Liz ... I think he was referring to the Jr corps of yesteryear ... it wan't unusual for the circuit championships (Penn Jersey, GNYC, etc.) to be in October (actually snowed once on Randalls Island) ... HOO HAA!!! ... now it's early Aug for DCI ...

Andy "yes, I know this is a DCA old timers forum" Lisko

Hi Liz ... I think he was referring to the Jr corps of yesteryear ... it wan't unusual for the circuit championships (Penn Jersey, GNYC, etc.) to be in October (actually snowed once on Randalls Island) ... HOO HAA!!! ... now it's early Aug for DCI ...

Andy "yes, I know this is a DCA old timers forum" Lisko

I understand why they have to and it sucks because I remember DCI's being the 3rd Saturday when I first found out about them. But now having seen colleges and high schools starting earlier from when I went, I can see why ~ no places to stay and no kids who could participate.....

Did DCA have a different time finals was held during its existence?

Edited by LegalEagle50

I understand why they have to and it sucks because I remember DCI's being the 3rd Saturday when I first found out about them. But now having seen colleges and high schools starting earlier from when I went, I can see why ~ no places to stay and no kids who could participate.....

The first few years (65-67) the Championships were held mid-Sept ... I believe when it moved to Rochester in 68 they settled on Labor Day weekend though the Prelims and Finals were held on the same day ... we used to take the end of the long weekend to travel to Niagra Falls ... very "vacation" like ...

The last show I remember being held "after" Labor Day was in 1972 at Gaelic Park in the Bronx ...

:-)

I don't think so,.............except early on,...........

Edited by Gary Matczak

The first few years (65-67) the Championships were held mid-Sept ... I believe when it moved to Rochester in 68 they settled on Labor Day weekend though the Prelims and Finals were held on the same day ... we used to take the end of the long weekend to travel to Niagra Falls ... very "vacation" like ...

The last show I remember being held "after" Labor Day was in 1972 at Gaelic Park in the Bronx ...

:-)

Yeah it's soooooo much warmer in Rochester over Labor Day. :cool:

Memories of '75(?) sitting on the blacktop of the airport parking lot to get warm after dark. :cool:

Or memories of last year of my wife saying she didn't need her jacket..... Then we got in the shadows and I got that "Oh crap... oh honey..." look. :cool:

Hey Ray,

I remember back in the day we used to make fun of old guys that started their sentences off saying "I remember back in the day....." :cool:

But I digress.....

Memorial Day meant a killer parade down Broadway and then strutting down that hill into Veteran's Memorial Stadium for our first performance of the season!

Shows are harder now.......more sets in one show than we did in three seasons.........members come from everywhere now, not from the next parish..............members go to college now for goodness's sake.......we didn't have guys in college in the Bridgemen.... :cool:

It was fun then.....it is fun now........Labor Day is still great! I love watching Prelims! Man there are alot of great Corps still out there doing their thing! I wish there were more....like the old days....but I still dig what I see and hear nowadays too.

Hope all is well with you Ray!

Peace,

Dennis

Nope - not getting Patriotic on you - although many of you know I'm a veteran - yikes - even a war veteran as my VFW card points out - but in this case I mean... remember when Memorial Day weekend meant the first big DCA show of the year?

And the corps were ready for it?

Entire shows learned?

Guard ready?

Uniforms complete and looking good?

All the blanks filled?

Those were the day.

And some of the music was from last year?

The guard didn't have Winter Guard commitments?

Uniforms were more durable (and HOT!)?

There were people standing on the sideline waiting for someone to quit?

Yeah, times were different.

And instead of twice a month camps we had weekly rehearsals from October on.

we usually started on memorial day weekend. i do remeber in 1969 we had a show in hamilton ontario canada on may 21st. and yes we were always ready in my years. but we rehearsed on thursday & friday nights & all day saturday & sunday. it was a different time . almost everybody was local.