Corps loyalty

The data in the survey refute your claim. It says that 15% of all, and 31% of the top 6 corps' MM's have prior experience in World Class, and footnotes that

As I said in my first post....

Why is it the upper corps prefer marchers who have marched elsewhere?

I don't think it's because of the training and education that they receive at the lower corps (which is kind of what's been suggested here). Instead they want a member who they know can handle the challenges of surviving a season. Its a really bad investment to take a very talented kid in the winter if they crash and burn in spring training or on tour. Taking kids who have experience is simply the best way to ensure that all the training you invest in a performer during the winter and spring will actually pay off in the summer.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was loyal to the corps I was with. I'd give 110%. That's me but that was then, things have changed, drum corps has become complex. As an instructor I had the opportunity to understand 3 year growth, from rookies who never marched to a clear and rewarding result; we won our caption. As a DM I learned the the importance of the synergy/chemistry between the marching members, the staff, the administration. Give from the bottom up, follow the top down approach and perhaps meet in the middle. Loyality is multidimensional and collaborative. imo :rolleyes:

BITD when there were a TON of Drum Corps around (my hometown of 50,000 people supported 3 Corps), a member needed a special release form filled out by the Director of the Corps they were leaving in order to join any other Corps. Is this still the case, or can members (I guess the current generation refer to a member as a student now :rolleyes: ) just move between Coprs as they desire?

BITD when there were a TON of Drum Corps around (my hometown of 50,000 people supported 3 Corps), a member needed a special release form filled out by the Director of the Corps they were leaving in order to join any other Corps. Is this still the case, or can members (I guess the current generation refer to a member as a student now :rolleyes: ) just move between Coprs as they desire?

Getting a " transfer release " in Drum Corps has gone by the boards, Opti- Burr. It was something done when there was hundreds of Corps.... and in the NCAA here in the States, where there are hundreds of teams and schools playing competitive sports.

What were the NCAA thinking when they implemented... and kept in place.... " transfer policies " between member NCAA schools and teams ? And what were the Corps thinking in earlier eras when most Circuits required member Corps to submit to their " transfer policies " as a chief requirement to circuit association membership ? What a Draconian gesture, huh ? I'm surprised it's worked so well in the NCAA. Who knew ?

I guess multiple Corps having open slots here in mid June when Corps had 1200 at camp try outs a few months ago is now considered a more reasoned and intelligent approach by the " visionaries " in charge now. But, who knows... change is good, I'm told. And what do the Legacy fans know anyway. SoI'll just learn to go with the flow.

Edited by BRASSO

Perhaps this lack of loyalty or perceived lack of loyalty is simply a reflection of the times we live in?

It was easy 20 or 30 years ago for a kid's parents to preach about loyalty. They had likely been employed by the same company their entire adult life, lived in the same community that they were raised in, etc.

Today's young people have seen their parents bust their butts only to be laid off, or have seen them have to jump from job to job, just to keep up with simple things like the cost of living. Many people live far from their town of origin, too. To talk about "loyalty" in the beautiful, pure sense is really an abstract concept to many people today, and unfortunately a lot of the lessons they MUST learn today is to look out for themselves because no one else will.

Sad, but true.

Karen

Here is how times DO change : I was told this by a Human Resource Director friend of mine once from a very large employer :

In the 1970's ( for example ) an employer interviewer with a job opening to fill would have a prospective employee sitting in front of them and the resume the applicant would present to the interviewer would show the applicant worked for their previous employer for ( say ) 20 years or so. The Interviewer would immediately think to themselves " wow, this is impressive. They've been with the same employer for 20 years ? Such loyalty. I think I'm interested in learning more about such a dedicated employee with this degree of loyalty. "

Now fast forward... same situation. But now it's 2009. The interviewer has a job opening with the applicant sitting in front of them, and the resume the applicant would present to the interviewer would show the applicant worked ALSO for for their previous employer for ( say ) 20 years or so. The Interviewer NOW would think to themselves " wow, They've been with the same same employer for 20 years ? What's the matter with this person ?This applicant appears to have no frickin ambition whatsover ! I 'll think I'll tell them thanks for coming in today, and we'll call if we want to know some more ".

Times change. Perceptions change.