Talking G7 shop with Volunteers

People that "volunteer" for the red cross get shot and killed every day...............They know the risks when offering their services........

I dont condone harassment,and I dont need to solidify and/or clarify my stance. The volunteers are representatives of the corps, normal folks like you and me. I bet we all volunteered in our lifetime at one point or another........expect the good with the bad.

G

Wow, what a great and relevant analogy; I mean you pegged it there, I tell ya... Here is one that would be just as wonderful and relevant:

Andreas Escobar, World Cup soccer player for Columbia, was shot and killed by some Columbian fans because he accidentally kicked in a goal for the other team. So, the Cadets players should know the risks they are taking by possibly getting booed by their fans. The youth players are representatives of the corps, normal folks like you and me. I bet we all performed in our lifetime at one point or another.......expect the good with the bad.

Yep, both yours and this one are great analogies, huh? What the ...?!?! Citing volunteers for the Red Cross in a War Zone, as well as the above absurd player analogy, are in no way, shape, or form like a parent volunteering to help their kid sell some t shirts! Come on ...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a great and relevant analogy; I mean you pegged it there, I tell ya... Here is one that would be just as wonderful and relevant:

Andreas Escobar, World Cup soccer player for Columbia, was shot and killed by some Columbian fans because he accidentally kicked in a goal for the other team. So, the Cadets players should know the risks they are taking by possibly getting booed by their fans. The youth players are representatives of the corps, normal folks like you and me. I bet we all performed in our lifetime at one point or another.......expect the good with the bad.

Yep, both yours and this one are great analogies, huh? What the ...?!?! Citing volunteers for the Red Cross in a War Zone, as well as the above absurd player analogy, are in no way, shape, or form like a parent volunteering to help their kid sell some t shirts! Come on ...

I think it is. Key word: Volunteer.

G

They volunteer, yes, but volunteer to do what, exactly? To help out with the corps they love, or that their kid marches with, or that they marched with once upon a time. I doubt you'll find literally a single person who volunteered with the purpose of placing themselves on the front lines of a passionate debate about the future direction of the activity.

You seem to be of the opinion that harassment comes with the territory, that the volunteer opened themselves up for such treatment when they first offered their services. In that case you haven't read - or if you have read then you haven't understood - the very first post in this thread. Volunteers have no say in the administrative decisions of their respective corps, and unless they've been paying especially close attention then they won't even have any awareness of G7 at all. In fact, I'd bet that most every volunteer you meet this summer made plans and committed their time well before the G7 discussion ever began. These are the same reasons why most of us agree it would be pathetic to harass this year's marching members. It boggles my mind that some of the same people somehow thing going after the volunteer staff is in any way different, let alone justified.

I read on DCP all the time how important volunteers are to keeping our activity on the move. With all the work that they do and the role they play we should be going out of our way to show our appreciation. Anyone who would rather harass a volunteer instead of thanking them is a misguided individual, to be sure.

They volunteer, yes, but volunteer to do what, exactly? To help out with the corps they love, or that their kid marches with, or that they marched with once upon a time. I doubt you'll find literally a single person who volunteered with the purpose of placing themselves on the front lines of a passionate debate about the future direction of the activity.

You seem to be of the opinion that harassment comes with the territory, that the volunteer opened themselves up for such treatment when they first offered their services. In that case you haven't read - or if you have read then you haven't understood - the very first post in this thread. Volunteers have no say in the administrative decisions of their respective corps, and unless they've been paying especially close attention then they won't even have any awareness of G7 at all. In fact, I'd bet that most every volunteer you meet this summer made plans and committed their time well before the G7 discussion ever began. These are the same reasons why most of us agree it would be pathetic to harass this year's marching members. It boggles my mind that some of the same people somehow thing going after the volunteer staff is in any way different, let alone justified.

I read on DCP all the time how important volunteers are to keeping our activity on the move. With all the work that they do and the role they play we should be going out of our way to show our appreciation. Anyone who would rather harass a volunteer instead of thanking them is a misguided individual, to be sure.

Agreed. I have to believe the people talking about confronting volunteers are just generally venting about G7. No way they'll actually do it for real...

I think it is. Key word: Volunteer.

G

So, the key word is Volunteer; ok, let's stay on that issue; According to you, all DCI volunteers for the G7 need to accept the possibility of getting accosted or shot at like a Red Cross person in a war zone simply because they are adults who have chosen to put themselves in the line of fire from angry G7 fans; and that is acceptable to you; we got it.

Edited by Stu

On Friday I spoke with the woman at the Cadets booth at the lower gate (quick observation- Cadets and Cavies had booths up top and down below but crown only was up top- anyone know if that's anything of interest?)

She was friendly as I looked at the gear so I decided to ask if she had heard anything about G7 yet and she said no and that she didn't over hear anything being said at the director meet n' greet which had been set up next to her.

I asked her if she was instructed how to respond if anyone brought it up and she said that she just sold t-shirts and didn't get involved in that kind of stuff. She said the only thing she knows she is supposed to do is to get help if someone is belligerent. Apparently during "hashmark-gate" people were very rude, yelled and threw things at the Souvie booth in California.

Maybe I will check back in during DCI East and see how her summer went...

On Friday I spoke with the woman at the Cadets booth at the lower gate (quick observation- Cadets and Cavies had booths up top and down below but crown only was up top- anyone know if that's anything of interest?)

She was friendly as I looked at the gear so I decided to ask if she had heard anything about G7 yet and she said no and that she didn't over hear anything being said at the director meet n' greet which had been set up next to her.

I asked her if she was instructed how to respond if anyone brought it up and she said that she just sold t-shirts and didn't get involved in that kind of stuff. She said the only thing she knows she is supposed to do is to get help if someone is belligerent. Apparently during "hashmark-gate" people were very rude, yelled and threw things at the Souvie booth in California.

This is reflective of the first posting in this thread about my friend volunteering for a G7 corps. The volunteers seem to not be told about, or even how to respond to, the G7 proposal by their directors (other than to refer belligerent fans over to a security guard or up the food chain).

thankfully, slimeballs are the minority for dci fans.

Pathetic. It's drum corps and as long as those members are having the experience of a lifetime, it isn't that important. And yes, that's judging those "fans."

If you think it's alright to engage volunteers in discussions pertaining to policies they know little to nothing about, then do that. Then refer to the above to see what kind of person I'm going to judge you as.

Pathetic. It's drum corps and as long as those members are having the experience of a lifetime, it isn't that important. And yes, that's judging those "fans."

If you think it's alright to engage volunteers in discussions pertaining to policies they know little to nothing about, then do that. Then refer to the above to see what kind of person I'm going to judge you as.

Completely agree, throwing something at a souvenir booth is the same thing as talking with a volunteer.