Talking G7 shop with Volunteers

I, for one, would have no problem telling souvie staff that I'm not making a purchase due to a corps involvement with the G7 proposial. Years ago I worked in customer service. If one or two people had a complaint the issue was never addressed, when the complaints became epidemic management took action.

A polite "I disagree with your directors position" is all it takes. When the souvie staff gets several comments a night they will take it back to the director.

Seeking out members for this type of discussion is inappropriate.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend that is currently volunteering with one of the G7 during every days, and sent that person an email asking if the Volunteers had been informed on how to handle the fans blowback from the G7 proposal. The person responded back, with "What is the G7?" That response actually answered my question; so I requested that the person go ask someone on the Administrative staff. The person emailed back that they happened to be able to speak with the Corps Director himself and the director said, "It is a proposal to help build DCI into a better activity for both the fans and the kids; if you want the details, just read through the explanation on our website." The person then went to a Starbucks with a laptop, got online, and read the letter on the corps website. Then sent me an email stating, "This all sounds great! What do you mean about blowback?" I subsequently asked my friend to read three other things: The actual proposal, the DCW article, and the Dan Acheson response; and gave the person links to the three items. I have yet to receive another email, guessing that the person is way too busy with every days to peruse the internet.

So, if the above paragraph is anywhere close to being typical, more than likely the Volunteers ,and probably the MMs, this summer will either be clueless about this, or at the most only exposed to the spin put out by the G7. Could be wrong about most of them not knowing all sides of the issue, but anyone who has ever been in corps knows that once every days begin, a bubble is created, and the rest of the world disappears for about ten weeks. Point is folks, be very careful what you say and how you say it this summer. If you talk to the volunteers, fine. But, and I know that I am a nobody, but please do not bother the youth MMs with this tripe. They do not need to be engaged in this adult debate. Just my opinion.

Please don't harass volunteers. That is awful.

Seriously, would purpose would it serve to harass volunteers? If I had to guess, volunteers have already been cautioned against discussing the G-7 proposal with ‘fans’.

It’s difficult enough being on tour without having to constantly worry about being badgered by someone who only wants to pick a fight. Find the director if you’re so courageous, and complain to him.

Besides, harassing a volunteer is only going to make you look stupid and trashy to the casual observer, and not bring any support at all to your cause.

I, for one, would have no problem telling souvie staff that I'm not making a purchase due to a corps involvement with the G7 proposial. Years ago I worked in customer service. If one or two people had a complaint the issue was never addressed, when the complaints became epidemic management took action.

A polite "I disagree with your directors position" is all it takes. When the souvie staff gets several comments a night they will take it back to the director.

If I know these G7 corps directors they'll have T-shirts at their souvie trailers already made up saying.."G7 flat" and try to sell you one! :tongue:

Hell, why make one up yourself when you can get it from a pro!

I was planning on doing the same thing. There isn't anything harassing or hurtful in doing this, it's just a polite explanation for why I can't support them.

I don't condone booing or wasting their time by picking out several things and then saying never mind or being rude.

Take your complaints to the people that "care?". A souvie person is no more than a volunteer who could care less what your take on politics are. They are the last people to whine to.

If you don't think the corps directors already know what people are thinking and saying then you are kidding yourself. We all know Hopkins trolls these boards as does Coates.

And chances are the things that are said here are probably not as strong as what was said by the FA-16 in the board room when this first came up.

Knowing the egos of the corps directors; they don't care what is said to the souvie people.

Yes, they may care about the money but they will hear "People said they aren't buying because they disagree with G7" as an excuse for poor salesmanship and then fire the Souvie sellers because THEY must be the one to blame for a drop in sales.

If you want the directors to HEAR what you want them to you need to find ways to do it yourself - they all have facebook and email and twitter and roam around the lots (which are open for anyone) but if you sneak into some other context they will just continue to make excuses.

If you tell the souvie people=The souvie people are bad sellers

If you tell the volunteers=They are being hyper sensitive because it's their kid/brother/niece

If you tell the marching members=You can't be credible because you're taking your frustration out on a kid

If you tell the staff=They are exaggerating in hopes of getting a "hazard pay raise"

If you boo the corps=You're just jealous

Take your pick; rationalization and justification are amazingly powerful things...don't risk the message being heard through a filter.

1) Instead of confronting a volunteer about why you aren't making a purchase, simply don't visit the stand to begin with. There is no reason to confront a volunteer, even politely, about the positions of their corps' director as was inferred above. These complains WILL NOT force a director to deal with them (contrary to that post) and the directors are already aware of the general DCP stance.

2) Most show attendees, marchers, and volunteers will either be unaware, barely aware, or misinformed about the G7 proposal. Nearly all will not care in the slightest. This is typical DCP "the drum corps world revolves around us" thinking. It's not that important to the majority of fans. There will not be a great deal of "blowback" to volunteers or stands except by those self-righteous DCP members who are convinced their opinions will actually change a director's mind (they won't). And will the majority of those individuals really be as outspoken in real life to a corps volunteer of 20+ years who just really enjoys seeing those marching members succeed on a day to day basis? I would certainly hope not.

3) I would hope that no one here would even bother going to a souvie stand simply to make it a point not to make a purchase. That's ridiculous. It's like people who leave Target claiming that the store has "lost a long-time customer." The employees do not care. MAYBE the management of the store cares but in reality, it isn't like the high school student you just yelled at cares about the fate of Target at all. It's simply not within their position to do anything about it, no matter how many complaints a day they get.

How's that going to work, exactly? Are you going to walk up to a souvenir stand, announce that you won't be making a purchase today, then walk off? Will you peruse the merchandise first, wait for the staff to ask if you'd like to purchase anything, and then tell them "No thanks, you're G7"? I'm trying to picture any scenario where a protest is made to the souvenir staff that doesn't just look silly. I'm not succeeding.

For as long as I've been a fan, I've always loved interacting with souvenir staff. These people are among the most passionate corps supporters you'll ever meet - otherwise they wouldn't do what they do - and that passion is a joy to see. Last year I bought a Boston Crusaders shirt from a lady who just loved their show. I could tell she wanted to talk about it so badly, but I hadn't seen it yet and she didn't want to spoil it for me. Still, she couldn't let me go without dropping one hint: "apple". A year later, I remember her passion and joy just as well if not better than I remember any moment from any corps at that show. Anyone who would harass a volunteer, even the souvenir staff, seriously needs to reconsider their priorities.