Corps Names

I posted this same question in the DCI section and thought it would be cool to know about the DCA side as well.

How did corps get their names? Was it based on location, history, some sort of local sponsorship, just a name?

Also if a corps has changed their name what was it and what was the reason for changing it?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few past ones in here:

Westshoremen - West Shore of the Susquehanna River, plus original name was Longshoremen but they got sued by Longshoremens Union

Skyliners - guessing da Nu Yawk Skyline

Yankee-Rebels - home base of Baltimore and Maryland was a "Border State" (aka had both sides) during the Civil War

Caballeros - copied look of an early CA Senior corps called the Dons. No idea of the connection so would love to hear this.

I posted this same question in the DCI section and thought it would be cool to know about the DCA side as well.

How did corps get their names? Was it based on location, history, some sort of local sponsorship, just a name?

Also if a corps has changed their name what was it and what was the reason for changing it?

A History Of The Sunrisers

by, Frank Dorritie and Fran Haring

http://www.sunrisers.com/fra/newsite/org/history.shtml

With a bit more details submitted by a few more Alumni through the years.

http://sunrisersalumni.org/history.htm

The CT Hurricanes were named for Hurricane Diane who did a number on the valley area they were from.

Hurricane Diane

I believe the Bushwackers got their name from their idea they'd come up from behind and surpise everyone, which they certainly did.

Empire Statesmen- Obvious.

Kilties- Obvious.

I'd be interested in how the Renegades got their name, though. I'd imagine that's a good yarn. :tongue:

Thanks for that.. We sure need to update that history a bit....

Shenandoah from the valley in Virginia at which Winchester sits at the northenmost point, but the corps has not been in Winchester since the 90s.

Will have to read the Cabs and Sun histories when I get the time. Thanks....

Maybe by then I'll figure out who wrote the Sunriser history. Names kinda sound familiar.. :tongue:

Going into the Wayback Machine <$1 to Rocky & Bullwinkle and Friends>

Hershey Chocolatiers - yeah that Hershey.... guess. :fight:

Hanover Lancers - one of the suggestions when the corps wanted to move away from their orignal name of the "Bears" (spons by AL Post H. H. Bair). Almost became the Buccaneers but some other corps beat them to it by a few months. :ph34r:

My fav.... New Bedford, MA Whalers - honoring New Bedords sea faring history. Had a guy in the Honor Guad with a harpoon. :worthy:

I've got sort of a trivia question that's been bugging me for years : Are the Cabs still "officially" kown as "The Hawthorne NJ American Legion Post #199 Drum & Bugle Corps" or is it simply and officially known as the "Hawthorne Caballeros"? It's no big deal, I just always wondered about it.