Corps Names

I've got sort of a trivia question that's been bugging me for years : Are the Cabs still "officially" kown as "The Hawthorne NJ American Legion Post #199 Drum & Bugle Corps" or is it simply and officially known as the "Hawthorne Caballeros"? It's no big deal, I just always wondered about it.

Still With Post 199

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for the organization, but here is my guess: When the corps is taking part in an American Legion function, such as the NJ State American Legion convention, the Legion Nationals etc. the corps is officially identified as The Hawthorne Post 199 Drum and Bugle Corps, The Caballeros. You can hear us identified that way on old Nationals recordings. "The Hawthorne Caballeros" is our (their) name otherwise.

It was a lot more common years ago for Legion Corps to be identified by their post name or number. I remember oldtimers referring to the"Hamilton Post #20," or "Garbarina" rather than the "Yankee Rebels or the "Skyliners." Those were almost considered 'nicknames' in those days.

I don't know if that answers your question accurately, Piper.

I can't speak for the organization, but here is my guess: When the corps is taking part in an American Legion function, such as the NJ State American Legion convention, the Legion Nationals etc. the corps is officially identified as The Hawthorne Post 199 Drum and Bugle Corps, The Caballeros. You can hear us identified that way on old Nationals recordings. "The Hawthorne Caballeros" is our (their) name otherwise.

It was a lot more common years ago for Legion Corps to be identified by their post name or number. I remember oldtimers referring to the"Hamilton Post #20," or "Garbarina" rather than the "Yankee Rebels or the "Skyliners." Those were almost considered 'nicknames' in those days.

Don't know about other parts of the country, but in New England corps were often simply designated by their home town or by their post (VFW or A.L.).

Among seniors, for example, I never heard of the Skyliners for many years, but I certainly knew who "Garbarina" was. And the Caballeros were simply "Hawthorne." Reilly was simply "Reilly." Archer-Epler was called "Archer-Epler," not Musketeers.

Among junior corps, it was usually their home town - as in Beverly, Braintree, Boston, Danvers, Rockland, Garfield, Nutley, Fairlawn, Paterson, etc.

I have an archived story about how the Buccaneers got their name, and I'll share when I get to my home computer. I don't think it had anything to do with navigating the treacherous shores of the Schuylkill River.

I believe the Bushwackers got their name from their idea they'd come up from behind and surpise everyone, which they certainly did.

That would be incorrect.

That would be incorrect.

Mr Kidd is correct, that is incorrect.

The Bushwackers are named after a bar on the Jersey Shore.

True story,

The founder of the corps drank at "The Bushwacker" after his softball games.

Going thru old DC history, I've found very few nicknames and wondered that myself. Hanover Lancers started in 1920 but didn't go by a nickname until the late 40s/early 50s when they started using the Bears/Bairs.

And one of my favorite old intros is 1960 AL Nats for the Cabs. "Next may we present for your approval... Post number one.. nine.. nine..... from Hawthorne New Jersey.... the Cabelleros" Image that with appropiate big ###ed stadium (Orange Bowl?) echo.

I have an archived story about how the Buccaneers got their name, and I'll share when I get to my home computer. I don't think it had anything to do with navigating the treacherous shores of the Schuylkill River.

Definitely less treacherous than the Schuylkill Expressway. :tongue:

Don't know about other parts of the country, but in New England corps were often simply designated by their home town or by their post (VFW or A.L.).

Among seniors, for example, I never heard of the Skyliners for many years, but I certainly knew who "Garbarina" was. And the Caballeros were simply "Hawthorne." Reilly was simply "Reilly." Archer-Epler was called "Archer-Epler," not Musketeers.

Among junior corps, it was usually their home town - as in Beverly, Braintree, Boston, Danvers, Rockland, Garfield, Nutley, Fairlawn, Paterson, etc.

The commonly used nicknames of corps are one thing; the names used by the announcer at the start of a performance are a different thing: My junior corps was sponsored by the local AL post and the local RC church. On Saturday nights we competed in the Mayflower circuit, and were announced as "The Golden Rays from Stoughton". On Sunday afternoons we competed in the CYO circuit and were announced as "Immaculate Conception - Stoughton". One corps, two different names. There was one other difference that I remember between the two circuits: In Mayflower, the girls in the guard had hemlines just above the knees, but in CYO, they were just below the knees :-)