Carolina Crown MMX

Disagree completely. They're running all over the place throughout most/all of the Khachaturian and Danzon, and they do it well. Just because they dance during the intro and ballad doesn't mean that's all they do, or that their show is "easy" by comparison. They definitely move as much/more than Cadets...

I didn't say it was easy, and the body movement while playing is far from only being in the ballad.

The program will be awarded points because it's a different kind of difficulty than the run and gun of the past. Jazz running formations to percussion or while a section plays a soli is where most fast drill comes today.

I'm not criticizing Crown here, just notincing a pronounced change in programming and judging over the last several years. Crown is far from being the only corps doing this.

Watched the video tonight.

First off, the preshow is amazing - it's visually intense and musically subdued, which is an awesome (and intimidating) contrast - it sets a great deal of tension before the show's even started. The first half of the show was incredible for me. I thought the brass line was going to leave scorch marks on the field. Danzon was a unique take on the piece - I never thought you could shoehorn a drum feature into the beginning of it, but they made it sound natural (if a little unpolished at this point). Nimrod - yeah, it is what you expect, in a good way. However, the closer *really* fizzled for me. Especially with the buildup to a visual moment to cap off the show - I was hoping for some sort of musical payoff. From reading here, I'll be curious to hear how they change it - it very much reminds me of the Cavaliers 2001 show (Four Corners) - it needs that restatement of the funky part (in this case Danzon) in the ending to make it sound "right."

Overall, I think they're going to finish top 2 again, though right now I'd say 2nd. But, this is, what, day 3? Yeah, we've got a long way to go, and I think while Crown may be presenting fairly traditional "drum corps" type music, they're redefining what horn players are expected to do while they play it!

Mike

Good thoughts! We're probably ruining the surprise for them though as several of us here on DCP have predicted that they'll bring back Danzon No 2, as they did quite do that one justice the first time.

We shall see pretty soon, I guess...

I think bringing back Danzon might be too obvious, I'm on the look out for something a little more surprising. I guess we'll all know come Friday...

I think bringing back Danzon might be too obvious, I'm on the look out for something a little more surprising. I guess we'll all know come Friday...

On a side note, maybe all of the impact points in the show are left somewhat incomplete for a reason, meaning the ending will be the ONE, and something totally different than the rest of the show. Though, I'd say the impact points in there now are quite impacting already.

visual vocabulary.

They also do a good job with their verbal pictures

Well, we finally get to hear/see the ending today, any more guesses as to what it might be? May as well predict away until it actually happens...

Did anyone on DCP actually *see* it?

Just watched it on VOD. Looks like it still needs a little tweaking, but its a great ending. :thumbup: