Cadets 2010

I agree that Jeffrey is an important part of the show - his storyline is what makes the whole production work. But I will say that some of the high cheese moments, including the giggles, took me out of the show and I think that hurts the Cadets by making it harder to build intensity during their performance. They're not a dealbreaker for me, but I think they could strengthen the show by losing some of the cheese.

True. But then I also think the Cavs "This is My Rifle" thing is very cheesy. But since it oozes testosterone, I don't think anyone notices. :thumbdown:

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. But then I also think the Cavs "This is My Rifle" thing is very cheesy. But since it oozes testosterone, I don't think anyone notices. :thumbdown:

I like cheesy.

I even put extra on my pizza, I like it so much.

I agree that Jeffrey is an important part of the show - his storyline is what makes the whole production work. But I will say that some of the high cheese moments, including the giggles, took me out of the show and I think that hurts the Cadets by making it harder to build intensity during their performance. They're not a dealbreaker for me, but I think they could strengthen the show by losing some of the cheese.

I'm having a hard time understanding how giggles that last less than two seconds hurts the Cadets.

Let's see:

The beginning of Children's Dance opens with probably about 10 seconds of children giggling leading to the intro of the piece.

The second giggle is less than 2 seconds and introduces the trumpet/mellophone feature.

The third giggle is not even a giggle anymore. The piece concludes with the "na na na na na" type thing concluding the song.

I think they add to the piece and I doubt that it's taking away from the show either.I understand the consensus that people don't seem to like it. I just don't understand why it's such a big deal when they don't last long at all.

They're just add-ons to the show.

People seem to like the "this is my rifle" and the singing that cavies have in their show. In my opinion, those add to the Cavies' show. So why are the children's laughter so much of a turn off?

Edited by 2000Cadet

Every show I've seen so far, Fan Network or otherwise, the people in the audience laugh when the hear the giggles. Or when little Jeffery does his thing.

Sorry DCP, you've been out-ruled.

not all too sure that that "laugh" you are discribing is a true laugh.... more of a ... "so this adult kid is out there.. trying to be a child.. and I suppose I should go along with the laughing... just like when I clap with the crowd when a good beat starts... " theory...... ITS JUST OLD ! Let Jeffry start out the show..... get him off the field after a minute or so.. then bring him on at the end.. ! We get the idea !! It's not rocket science !!

not all too sure that that "laugh" you are discribing is a true laugh.... more of a ... "so this adult kid is out there.. trying to be a child.. and I suppose I should go along with the laughing... just like when I clap with the crowd when a good beat starts... " theory...... ITS JUST OLD ! Let Jeffry start out the show..... get him off the field after a minute or so.. then bring him on at the end.. ! We get the idea !! It's not rocket science !!

It's an act. We know those are adolescents out there. What's wrong with trying to portray an emotion? I thought that was part of this activity. I guess you had a problem with Phantom when they portrayed slaves, or with Bluecoats when they had Boxers, or with Cavies when they had robots, etc. They're just conveying a theme. No one is forcing you to think about it. It's just there to add to the show.

It's an act. We know those are adolescents out there. What's wrong with trying to portray an emotion? I thought that was part of this activity. I guess you had a problem with Phantom when they portrayed slaves, or with Bluecoats when they had Boxers, or with Cavies when they had robots, etc. They're just conveying a theme. No one is forcing you to think about it. It's just there to add to the show.

I like The Cadets show this year. It's not preachy or pretentious. it's not trying to have us contemplate the absurd weirdness of our existence, or have us gaze at our navel to find the hidden meanings of the cosmos there.

It's a Drum Corps show.... performed by 18-22 year olders in their summertime.... a fun and whimsical show done with aplomb, and in an entertaining and creative way.

I like The Cadets show this year. It's not preachy or pretentious. it's not trying to have us contemplate the absurd weirdness of our existence, or have us gaze at our navel to find the hidden meanings of the cosmos there.

It's a Drum Corps show.... performed by 18-22 year olders in their summertime.... a fun and whimsical show done with aplomb, and in an entertaining and creative way.

So why have I been staring at my naval for the past 3 weeks?