Louie Louisville

It means a nice start, but how seriously can all this be taken without having the sub captions play into this.

About as seriously as scores, spreads, placements of the first week of any DCI season... including 2009.

well the crowd didnt seem to think this tonight, of the top 3, The Cavaliers are the only corps to get a standing ovation, that is also true for Fort Mills too, Cavies have the crowd on their side this year. Sadly I'm only able to go to 3 more shows but this early season has been interesting.

Really? No standing O for the Scouts?

Scouts were not top 3, the group he was referencing. They did receive a sanding O, as well as many more mid-show responses than anyone around them. Though that might just be the nature of the show shining though. In regards to the audience's response to the G-Men, I'm sure the men of Madison would feel very bad if they knew their show was making the crowd too anemic for the more delicate shows by giving them things to cheer for at more than just song ends.

Compared to other years, I think the corps are a little better this early on, so no, not inflated..... but the scores aren't really that much higher than normal.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is only the second time in history that Bluecoats have beaten the Cavaliers. Congrats Bloooooooo!

3rd.

Bloooo beat Cavaliers early season in '88, 2007 in Centerville, and tonight.

--------------- Friday, June 17, 1988 ---------------

Whitewater, WI DCM

1 Madison Scouts 69.4

2 Bluecoats 65.5

3 Cavaliers 64.8

4 Star of Indiana 64.2

5 Phantom Regiment 63.6

--------------- July 2, 2007 Centerville, OH ---------------

1 Bluecoats 83.700

2 Blue Devils 83.500

3 The Cavaliers 82.700

4 Glassmen 74.100

5 Troopers 69.100

Edited by jjeffeory

About as seriously as scores, spreads, placements of the first week of any DCI season... including 2009.

Yes, you may not be able to take these scores "seriously", but I guarantee anyone who sees this show (Madison's) will easily deduce for themselves that they are on a completely different level than they have been since 2005. The only way they don't significantly move up in placement this year is if Academy, BK, Colts, Troopers etc... all come out with vastly superior products as well.

3rd.

Bloooo beat Cavaliers early season in '88 or '89, 2007 in Centerville, and tonight.

Ha ha, I guess I'm showing that my knowledge of early/mid-season shows does not go back into the 1980s.

So 3rd time then... still a great accomplishment.

Ha ha, I guess I'm showing that my knowledge of early/mid-season shows does not go back into the 1980s.

So 3rd time then... still a great accomplishment.

Very good for them. I loved the show in WV. I can not wait to see it improved!

....and I still love my beloved Cavaliers. They will still be in the thick of things when all is said and done.

Just got home from the show, quite the 5 hour drive. Here's a few notes I took.

Teal Sound: They surprised me. I thought their performance was a great way to begin the evening. The alto and soprano voices need some work, but they have a nice solid low voice section. Honestly can't say much about the visual program, for both them and Pioneer there was an adorable little girl sitting right in front of me who was prone to standing on her seat and waving at people. Sat next to a few of the kids later in the evening after the intermission. They had great energy and are really excited about competing in World Class.

Pioneer: Front Ensemble needs vast improvements in writing and performance. I appreciated the fact the program doesn't scream, "CELTIC," but I still can't get behind it. I took a few more notes on them but don't want to upset anyone, so I'll keep them to myself.

Location change.

Madison: They're Back! From the very beginning of the show, you knew this way going to be hot. Slaughter was fantastic, whistled it for a good third of the drive home. I saw someone else comment that Madison seems to have, "grown up," and I completely agree. This was a strong program. The percussion feature towards the end of the show was nicely written and really entertained the crowd. Color guard has the level of maturity now, that took them mostly half the season last year to gain. Nice writing, staging, and performance. A few of the soloists were a little shaky, I assume just from nerves, and they seemed to have lost a little steam at the very end, but all in all a great start to the season for them. I scored them 0.5 above Glassmen.

Glassmen: Definitely stronger than I anticipated, however, all I can really say is that they were, "nice." Nothing stuck out in my head as being memorable. It's the only corps I didn't write anything down for. I remember the staging at the very beginning being good, but nothing about the program really drew me in. I'll be seeing them a few more times this summer, so I'll be giving them another chance.

Intermission: Moved up onto the 50.

Phantom: The first four minutes were great. I liked the way the show opened with the brass playing towards the endzone and the color guard bringing in the "light" (yellow flags). The opener had some great moments both visually and musically, but they definitely have some holes in the contras. I believe there was only 7, but it looks like the drill was written for around 14. Can anyone confirm how many there should be? Phantom had the same problem that the glassmen did in my mind. After the beginning I lost the connection to the show. Don't get me wrong, they performed well and were cleaner than the Cavaliers, but except for the occasional Chevron drill form, I kinda forgot what happened. Though, the soloist in the guard costume has a great tone and I look forward to hearing him play and evolve more throughout the summer.

Cavaliers: I've seen this show 3 times now: once live in rehearsal, illegal video on the site which shall not named, and the FirstBeat video on FN. I enjoy this show a lot. Yes, it is dirtier than bluecoats, phantom, and maybe even glassmen but it has substance and power. They were right on par with Bluecoats brass, volume wise, and once they clean it up a bit, they might even project more. The preshow runs a little long for my taste, but I think out of all of the corps that used pre-recorded mixed sound, they had the most relevent audio. The opener is fantastic. For what it's worth, this was the only show of the night where the audience, at least around me, was pretty constant on clapping and pointing out moments they liked. The third scene is going to be one of the best moments in dci this year. The whole, "This is my rifle," moment is great and when the brass comes back in with the three soloists up front, it's just Epic! 'Smile' still needs some major work. It looks like they haven't had much time to go back and double check these sets since they set this piece to drill a week ago today. Also, during rehearsal last week they had the trumpet soloist in this piece playing it down the octave at full-soft, and I honestly have to say I thing it fits better with the orchestration of the rest of the corps if he continues playing it down. Though it's not the real ending, they did add some drill to the last 20 seconds of the show to make it a little more complete and altered the guard staging which helps a ton. All in all, I think this show, out of all of the corps in attendence tonight has the most potential. When things are cleaned up, this visual program will have people crapping their pants. Especially the spinning/inter-twining circles during 'Smile.'

Bluecoats: The clear winner of the evening. They had strength, they had style, and they had presence. Others have already explained how good they are this early so I won't go gushing. I will however note that there were a few problems with the mics and the amps tonight. I was texting a friend of mine on staff after I left the show and he said there were issues with a new computer they got and it will all be worked out by the weekend. He explained it with a lot more tech lingo than I can remember, but the most important thing is, "... it will all be worked out." There was some slight phasing in the very beginning between the two battery sections on opposite sides of the field, but that is to be completely expected this early. I mean, they are playing on opposite ends, it takes a while getting used to.

We didn't stay for the Encore or the scores, so I don't have any comments on how that went or the crowds reactions. Here's the scores I wrote down from my opinion.

Pioneer: 58.10

Teal Sound: 64.00

Glassmen: 69.80

Madison: 70.30

Phantom: 73.60

Cavaliers: 74.80

Bluecoats: 76.00

I'll be seeing 5 out of the 7 corps from tonight again on Thursday. So I'm sure I'll have more to say again.

Sorry that turned into more than expected. Now it's really time for bed.

Looks like Pioneer is about 8 points higher than they were at this time last year. That's encouraging!

edit: woops i was looking at '08

Edited by gimpy

Really? No standing O for the Scouts?

No, there was definitely a standing ovation for the Scouts--I also sat by several Madison techs and they were elated by the crowd response.