What's up with all the mic'd brass this year?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all the corps have come out yet.

The uproar caused though, may be enough to prevent them from doing such.

I hope.

Wow...what huge uproar. Everyone change your shows!!!!!!

Phantom Regiment's soloist is NOT mic'ed at anytime during the show, 100% positive.

Maybe I was mistaken and it was Glassmen who had the situation I described, I'll have to watch the video. I know one of the corps played a solo miced (besides Bluecoats), it was right in front of me.

Maybe I was mistaken and it was Glassmen who had the situation I described, I'll have to watch the video. I know one of the corps played a solo miced (besides Bluecoats), it was right in front of me.

Wow, I finally found the situation I described earlier regarding another miced brass solo. It wasn't PR or Glassmen, sorry...... it was another Bluecoats soloist. It is found at the 9:23 mark of their Louisville video. My apologies. :tongue:

. Then 2-valve, and finally three valve, when the three valve horns got old and beat up from season after season of abuse because there was nowhere to sell them before they reached that point, a switch to a sellable brass instrument seems the logical conclusion.

Not to mention that more brass makers are now able to make use of drum corps as a moving billboard for their product. I believe this was the most important factor in the rule change. Once upon a time it was a youth activity, today it's more about the money.

It's like if someone sold UK configured used cars in the US, the only people that would buy them would be mailmen...

Best use of an anology on DCP. :tongue::devil:

( I still rather G )

Not to mention that more brass makers are now able to make use of drum corps as a moving billboard for their product. I believe this was the most important factor in the rule change. Once upon a time it was a youth activity, today it's more about the money.

If it was more about the money "once upon a time" more corps may have lasted longer.

Back on Topic .........

Mic'd brass for the sake of Micing does in fact = Epic FAIL!!!

Mic'd brass solo's to create an effect by resampling the input and changing the output = ehhhhhhh if it's well done then FINE.

G vs. Multi Key? It was never about the key for me ... it was about the design of the horns. The argument that the corps are getting a revenue flow from this via used sales is NOT TRUE. This is costing the corps money every year that they switch to new horns (barring an endorsement deal or longterm contract with the manufacturer). This model only works for the most successful corps .. not the ones trying to get into DCI nor the ones clawing away at a semi finalist spot. At one time, there was an after market for G horns. But corps died (blame whatever evil you wish on this) and the market dried up.

Solution ...... Bb = great intonation. F = hardly any difference to G. Major difference in both compared to G? Conical tubing. DO THIS! Design the horns just like the G horns while keeping the Bb and F horns .. they will still sell and will be hella louder than what we have now. More importantly, restrict dB levels on pits. Plain and simple, this is the #1 problem with amped pits. I understand and support every argument about mallets, proper technique, etc etc etc ... BUT IT'S TOOO LOUD!!! It's ok to count rests when the ensemble needs you to shut up and stop hacking so the paying customers can hear the soloist. Sometimes it's ok to not play a counterpoint minifeature to the ungodly parts the brass are playing. Modern day drum corps has forgotten one VERY important element of music. Silence.

There has just GOT to be a better way. PERIOD.

To those who spoke of solos never heard ......... that's because the show was EPIC and the crowd couldn't control themselves. I would rather history know I was playing and not hear me because of their loss of control ........ rather than stepping up to a mic and shoving them back in their seats because "I'M PLAYING DANGIT!". Yes, I have indeed heard lower register solos on bari's, euphs and sops back in the day that were played well and heard perfectly ..... that's because the arranger made everyone else turn backfield or taper the parts or flat out shut up.

New Can of Worms:

I challenge anyone to give me an example of a single moment since the passing of the amped pit rules where the entire audience was sucked down to field level ... by design .... by effect .... just sucked in to the moment with nothing else to focus on but that one singular element on the field. Every great show prior to amped pits had those moments. It's VERY hard to pull off and impossible to achieve now. Better yet, find a moment where they were drawn down to field level dynamically whether it be to a focal point or not ................ GOOD LUCK!

Edited by supersop