2010 Spread Rankings

UPDATED for shows on 8/9. This is the final Spread Rankings before Championships.

With Vanguard's huge win tonight in Toledo they vault over Phantom and into 6th place. Also Crossmen scored well and find themselves above Spirit for the first time since July 12th.

1. 0.000 Blue Devils

2. 0.732 Cavaliers

3. 1.357 Bluecoats

4. 1.938 Cadets

5. 2.178 Carolina Crown

6. 4.494 Santa Clara Vanguard +1

7. 4.928 Phantom Regiment -1

8. 5.428 Blue Stars

9. 6.100 Boston Crusaders

10. 7.928 Madison Scouts

11. 8.794 Blue Knights +1

12. 9.444 Glassmen -1

13. 12.850 Troopers

14. 13.128 Colts

15. 13.200 Academy

16. 14.594 Crossmen +1

17. 14.750 Spirit -1

18. 16.194 Pacific Crest

19. 17.478 Mandarins

20. 19.257 Teal Sound

21. 19.828 Jersey Surf

22. 20.744 Cascades

23. 21.744 Pioneer

Line Graph:

(Last update until after Finals)

Spreads-87.png

Edited by Tez

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back by popular demand (not really, I just felt like saying that), here is my annual tabulation of rankings based solely off the spreads, not the actual scores.

The purpose is to be able to more easily compare scores from show to show when not all the corps are competing head to head. I'm not declaring that these are truly scientific.... just a fun way to crunch some numbers..... and they have in the past tended to be able to predict future spreads fairly accurately.

I've simplified the system a little this year. In the past I would account for past scores, but give more weight to the recent ones. I've decided now to completely do away with that notion, and only consider the most recent scores when tabulating these rankings.

A brief explanation: First a spread is found for each corps at a given show. Then the spreads have to be "normalized" by comparing the total of all the "new" spreads to that of the previous spreads. That gives the opportunity for the leading corps to actually gain ground on the rest of the corps.

Edited by Tez

For comparison, here are some early season rankings from last year (6/25/09 - the first date all eastern corps had matched up head to head)

1 0.000 Cadets

2 0.000 Cavaliers

3 0.890 Carolina Crown

4 1.998 Phantom Regiment

5 6.632 Boston Crusaders

6 6.898 Blue Stars

7 9.357 Glassmen

8 11.230 Madison Scouts

9 11.273 Spirit

10 12.650 Colts

11 14.923 Crossmen

12 18.986 Pioneer

Notice the five and a half point gain for the Scouts from '09 to '10. :tongue:

I'm noticing some other wacky scores in there (pr, for example, especially before they rewrote most of their show, never should have been on the same level with cadets, cavaliers, and CC)

Edited by AlexL

Are BD and SCV gonna come out and play this year?

I'm noticing some other wacky scores in there (pr, for example, especially before they rewrote most of their show, never should have been on the same level with cadets, cavaliers, and CC)

Alex is correct....and PR should never have been 6 points (or whatever it was) over BS and BAC early season......they were being judged based on expectations rather than performance, and it took the panels two weeks to recalibrate their numbers to reflect reality.

Oh, they're playin' alright! When BD trots their "mobile mirage" out this weekend there's gonna be a seismic shiver in the old Spread Rankings. And SCV is picking up where they left off last year.

Edited by Plan9

BD was born ready to play, and same with SCV. The first competition for them isn't until Friday.

Oh, they're playin' alright! When BD trots their "mobile mirage" out this weekend there's gonna be a seismic shiver in the old Spread Rankings. And SCV is picking up where they left off last year.

It will be interesting to see were Boston places out of the shoot in their 1st show.