Freelancers close bingo operations

We knew this was coming, but it's still a hard pill to swallow. Without cash flow, the organization will most certainly have to cease operations (don't know this for sure, just guessing). All of this is do to state laws outlawing electronic bingo. Just wondering how this fares for other Cali corps that rely on Bingo as well. Not a good day for me and my Freelancer family.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad.

Can the Freelancers start up paper bingo again ... they've got a nice big hall with lots of tables, seems a shame to close down if people would still play paper bingo.

i guess that's the problem...everyone wants the latest and greatest toys to play their sport with

AFAIK, The Sacramento Freelancers Alumni will still continue as we have a few CA performances and a trip to DCA in September. We are self-funded this year and I am sure I can speak for everyone in saying how much we appreciate the organization helping us get this going over the last few years. There are a lot of alumni involved at different levels and we will do everything we can to help the organization.

I'm curious, how many corps these days rely heavily on gambling to support their bottom line? That isn't a shot against bingo or gambling (loves me some holdem) but is there no other way if that goes under?

We knew this was coming, but it's still a hard pill to swallow. Without cash flow, the organization will most certainly have to cease operations (don't know this for sure, just guessing). All of this is do to state laws outlawing electronic bingo. Just wondering how this fares for other Cali corps that rely on Bingo as well. Not a good day for me and my Freelancer family.

So electronics is killing drum corps in more ways than one? Yeah I went there, deal with is. :tongue:

I am so completely gutted. I feel like a piece of my heart and sould has just died. :tongue:

Very sad.

Can the Freelancers start up paper bingo again ... they've got a nice big hall with lots of tables, seems a shame to close down if people would still play paper bingo.

They have always played paper bingo but with a bigger better hall down the street in a different county they could not compete. That's what folded the drum corps in 1995. It's the same thing the Blue Devils are trying to avoid. I think the Blue Devils even went to court to try to stop the new bigger better bingo hall from opening near them with no luck.