Phantom Regiment!

Wow, we think exactly opposite. I think the show is musically spectacular - the opening is gorgeous. I absolutely love the show musically. I do not like the show visually. I have never been a fan of Myron. This reminds me of past SCV drills (like Madison '06 did) and like Madison '06 it seems that there is demand for the shake of demand and nothing more. Honestly, I do not see this show catching Crown, Cadets, Cavies or Bluecoats - they (Bloo) were phenomenal and although their drill isn't as demanding as Regiment's, it's much more effective in my opinion. For the life of me I will never understand why Myron's still working - it's rehash after rehash, and demand for the sake of demand.

I completely agree.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, we think exactly opposite. I think the show is musically spectacular - the opening is gorgeous. I absolutely love the show musically. I do not like the show visually. I have never been a fan of Myron. This reminds me of past SCV drills (like Madison '06 did) and like Madison '06 it seems that there is demand for the shake of demand and nothing more. Honestly, I do not see this show catching Crown, Cadets, Cavies or Bluecoats - they (Bloo) were phenomenal and although their drill isn't as demanding as Regiment's, it's much more effective in my opinion. For the life of me I will never understand why Myron's still working - it's rehash after rehash, and demand for the sake of demand.

One issue with the visual is the color guard equipment work is distracting. The guard members themselves blend in with the field which means all we really see "is" the equipment work which at this point in the season needs work - tosses and spins are not clean. Look at the sequence that begins at the 2:55 mark - the color guard is in a line coming through the back section of brass. The lack of uniformity in the spins as they do this muddies up what would otherwise be a nice effect.

I do not agree at all with your comment regarding Myron.

I do not agree at all with your comment regarding Myron.

My problem with Myron is it is demand for the shake of demand and a very compact drill. Just look at the complete lack of field coverage. It's not a good drill, at all IMO. Better than last year, but still not as effective as Crown, Cadets, Cavies and Bluecoats IMO.

My problem with Myron is it is demand for the shake of demand and a very compact drill. Just look at the complete lack of field coverage. It's not a good drill, at all IMO. Better than last year, but still not as effective as Crown, Cadets, Cavies and Bluecoats IMO.

It was really in reply to your comment about how you can't understand why he is still working.

This drill is far and above what they had last year.

while true, it wouldn't make thematic sense if they spread out on the field. they're supposed to be moving as one organism, expanding and contracting as it moves through a life cycle.

while true, it wouldn't make thematic sense if they spread out on the field. they're supposed to be moving as one organism, expanding and contracting as it moves through a life cycle.

Well, I didn't know anything about their show prior to seeing it, and I dont' think the average fan is going to get that simply from viewing the show. It's definitely better than last year, drill wise, but IMO it is not nearly as effective as Bluecoats, Cavies, Crown and Cadets. Time will tell and I wish them well. Musically, it's my favorite show I've heard this season.

Musically: more "pop-ish," not the traditional ballad we expect from them

Visually: complexity in movement

Might this be the biggest departure from what we expect from PR since black unis in 1995? Is this bigger? Am I overreacting? Can I ask another question?

:)

Musically: more "pop-ish," not the traditional ballad we expect from them

Visually: complexity in movement

Might this be the biggest departure from what we expect from PR since black unis in 1995? Is this bigger? Am I overreacting? Can I ask another question?

:)

I think PR's biggest departure ever was 2004.

I would agree with several of the comments here but as I said earlier it has great potential if the changes are made now. Honestly, these changes need to come, I don't want this to be like previous unsuccessful years where everyone knew early on it wasn't a winning design (Like Last Year) and nothing was done to correct the design flaws.

As it is right now San Antonio will be another commentary where leadership (Which I have great respect for) tries it's best to expalin the show to fans instead of the actual design performance telling the story.

Like I said great potential!