The OFFICIAL 2010 Blue Devils Thread

I understand your motive. Again, if an outsider was to review all of your comments, I assure you that it would be viewed as anything but supportive.

Maybe not your intention but most definately critical (and not just the mucis arrangement). Anyway, it is what it is.

In my view, BD has found another language that marries visual and music unlike ever before. That is perhaps the problem, many don't quite know how to translate it yet. In my three years with them I have never been more sure that their show was going to connect with the audience.... it already has!

Just went back and read them all. Mostly what I see there is that *still* no one wants to address the point directly. First it's BD hate, then its BD envy, then its you're a Crown homie, then it's.... well you get the idea. No one wants to address the issue directly. Honestly most of your replies have been either (a) well they win so they must be doing something right or (b) BD is on the vanguard of a new era in DCI.

I would love to hear BD (or better yet a Music GE judge) discuss their arranging style vis-a-vis the actual criteria on the sheets. Because you're quite right I *don't* get it.

What does "BD has found another language that marries visual and music unlike ever before " mean?

If BD is speaking a language that people don't understand -- isn't that a design problem? If you can't communicate with the audience haven't you failed?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread gives me a headache just like BD's show this year.

Well, if BD has made being a crowd favorite a priority, then I can objectively say that this is one of the few goals that BD has utterly failed to achieve.

Have you SEEN the 2010 show?? The crowd is positively stupified and awed! But that may not count in your lexicon.

Where are you getting your viewpoint.....here??? Oh, brother! :blink:

Have you SEEN the 2010 show?? The crowd is positively stupified and awed! But that may not count in your lexicon.

Of course the crowed is awed, they're in CA....

Of course the crowed is awed, they're in CA....

It couldn't have anything to do with the show...way to insult every person who enjoyed the show last night at Stanford.

Cali.

Just went back and read them all. Mostly what I see there is that *still* no one wants to address the point directly. First it's BD hate, then its BD envy, then its you're a Crown homie, then it's.... well you get the idea. No one wants to address the issue directly. Honestly most of your replies have been either (a) well they win so they must be doing something right or (b) BD is on the vanguard of a new era in DCI.

I would love to hear BD (or better yet a Music GE judge) discuss their arranging style vis-a-vis the actual criteria on the sheets. Because you're quite right I *don't* get it.

What does "BD has found another language that marries visual and music unlike ever before " mean?

If BD is speaking a language that people don't understand -- isn't that a design problem? If you can't communicate with the audience haven't you failed?

Sorry -- what is your point again that no one is addressing directly?

Saw it and enjoyed it, as I have every BD show I have ever seen (YOWSA excepted). But when I start bringing large groups -- bands, new fans, kids, adults etc. -- to drum corps shows later in the summer, most of them will be underwhelmed by BD, as they have been ever since I started leading these trips. They'll applaud BD, and they may very well be stupefied and awed, but that's hardly the same as being a favorite.

Thanks for taking the time to review my posting history...honestly. I am a relative novice and can't begin to keep up with the likes of Brasso, Jeff Ream, lance, bawker, et al, on drum corps technique/knowledge. My first year (08) I was in the defense mode constantly, and a bit intimidated by the level of understanding on the threads. But I never bad mouthed a corps, perhaps a corps poster, but never the corps....that was the point of my criticism of your posts.

Of course I have no specific knowledge of a language...but what I mean to say is that the music & design teams are so in tune with each other that the production doesn't just overlay movement onto a music chart, it is a collaborative effort where music becomes part of the painting itself, woven, dominant, then dominated. It's a new way of design. If you have rotating staff and designers (as some have recently), you risk the loss of this unity in the design team. Those teams that stay together have the greatest chance of finding this language....that's the hard part.

Read this again. Bottom line, I have two conclusions:

First, I think your issue here is with DCI judges. They consistently place BD at or near the top in the categories of music GE, music ensemble, etc over the past 3+ seasons. So point the complaints at the people assigning the numbers, not the hard-working, talented kids and staff

Second, I'd think about what your daughter (or students) would think about what you are posting here