The OFFICIAL 2010 Blue Devils Thread

I needed to reply to myself because I just broke down and got the Fan Network and watched BD's show.

This is the first year I enjoyed their visual MUCH more than their music.

I just watched the Stanford VOD...I was a bit disappointed by the sound. There seemed to be a lot of echo. I don't remember it being that bad last year. I may have to go back and listen again...

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I'm 33, not 73. And even if I were 73, Guitar Hero wouldn't cause sensory overload. It's not some incomprhensible marvel of engineering and sensory stimulation, it's a stupid ####### game.

Second, there is nothing in any drum corps show that is beyond my understanding. It's marching band, not Kant prose.

as a friend from undergrad said, "not even the Germans understand Kant." apparently BD has indeed taken this approach.

Here's what I conclude from these responses:

BD parents and kids are tired of people criticizing their musical arrangements. Yes they can say "but we win a lot" but as many know that's little solace to a young performer giving everything they have night after night for a whole summer. The ring is just a cold piece of metal. Making a magical connection with an audience during a performance lasts forever.

I guess you can buy into the whole "we're cutting edge -- we're avant garde -- no one understand us --we're setting new standards" message or you can respond to your audience. But if you're designing a product and your customer (who in my view is the audience) isn't responding then I'd re-think my design. I wouldn't say "we know better than you" because quite frankly in a live performance art like drum corps it's all about connecting with your audience.

Clearly it's an emotional issue. But believe me when I say nothing would make me happier than to have BD *make* me get out of my seat again. In the past I never complained about them winning at a show because it would give me a chance to run to the bottom of the stands and soak in that glorious music in the encore. Alas intelligible musical phrases I knew you well.

part i: i concur (which kinda scares me that we have common ground).

part ii: i used to not hate BD's shows (read ideas, not people). but after 2007, they lost my attention (it started shaking in '05). i wished they would do something less concentrated. it would be nice to see them develop a thought over the majority of the show and then slam home in the end. alas, the old days are gone.

It's funny reading through this thread for me, because BD gets plenty of play time on my iPod. They're much more entertaining to me musically then they have ever been visually (with the exception of the guard - they're almost always phenomenal, which bugs me to no end).

Last year's show, while certainly no where near my favorite, is right up there with Cadets, Crown and Bluecoats on my play count.

I don't mean to derail this a second time to start the "BD's visual is boring" thread (although we might as well get it out of the way at some point because it WILL pop up), but I really don't get the griping about the arranging. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but unless you're a honk/homer, no corps will ever be everything to everyone.

The bottom line is that, regardless of whether or not you like what they do musically or visually, the Blue Devils are easily the most consistently excellent corps in DCI history.

... #### that last part was hard to type. :rolleyes:

if this is excellence, i don't want it.

Edited by chaos001

The bottom line is that, regardless of whether or not you like what they do musically or visually, the Blue Devils are easily the most consistently excellent corps in DCI history.

:thumbup:

part i: i concur (which kinda scares me that we have common ground).

The world is coming to an end :)

Let me add this:

When I *do* get to finally see BD (at East) I will watch with an open mind. Many a live performance has changed my mind about recordings. And I'll clap for their kick ### guard and kick ### wind/percussion performers.

if this is excellence, i don't want it.

I don't think that the corp is targeting you. In fact, I think that the corp is trying to win, and produce the best possible show that they can. But trying to please fans of other corps, or members of other corps or relatives of other corps is just likely to start being the target. If you want BD to change how it goes about fielding a show, then the rules of drum corp have to change. BD will definitely respond. Or you can join their staff if they will let you.

I know, let's ask the Lakers not to rely on stars like Kobe, or Magic, but rather get 5 perfectly balanced people in the scoring attack. Because Kobe is boring, and one dimensional, and I don't like it. And the other soccer teams in the world cup are clearly favored by refs, etc... so that the US has no chance. They should play football instead, it is a much better and more entertaining game. Sounds kind of silly, but that is exactly what BD fans get all the time on this board.

Before you state that we have such thin skins, i doubt that you can name any other corp that gets more criticism and has won anywhere the near the titles. My bottom line, this is like being a cowboys fan in the bay area. The more the locals complain about them, the stronger i like them. And BTW, I still like other corps, like SCV and Bluecoats.

Why is that so hard to type? That's not very controversial at all. Design aside... BD performs the #### out of their shows.

<I think that most of America will put Mahler and boring in the same sentence>

In that case, most of America needs to find a good recording of Mahler 8 and listen to the last 15 minutes with the speakers up to 11. That will dispel the "boring" label PDQ.

this is like being a cowboys fan in the bay area.

I've met a few of those. Travesty. :rolleyes:

I've met a few of those. Travesty. :rolleyes:

See what I mean? Can't get no respect. But, it usually helps to let them know that I was born in Texas...

In that case, most of America needs to find a good recording of Mahler 8 and listen to the last 15 minutes with the speakers up to 11. That will dispel the "boring" label PDQ.

I doubt seriously that you can get most Americans to listen to 15 minutes... Good luck trying. I am not nearly as idealistic as you are. And I think that everyone should form their own opinions without my having to tell them how to think or what is right.