The OFFICIAL 2010 Blue Devils Thread

The 1991 and 1992 Star of Indiana shows were MUCH more highly received by national fans than their 2nd place 1993 edition.

Did you see Star in 1992? I guess not.

Did you hear the crowd when Cadets beat them at finals? I guess not.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go with the "not appreciated in our time" line. Let's list the pieces BD played last year:

Get Happy * Happy Days Are Here Again Amazon * Playing Love * Piano Variations * Rialto Ripples * I Got Rhythm (from Girl Crazy) * Piano Concerto in F Amazon * Caravan Amazon

Oh that's an inscrutable modern way ahead of it's time bunch of music alriight. Why in the world were people calling it disjointed and fragmented. Oh -- it was the *arranging*.

What does BD this year? Let's pick music that's by it's nature fragmented and disjointed, re-arrange into smaller pieces, and then tell them "we're just being true to the original'.

I think everyone gets the idea. You don't like BD's musical style. So let's knock em down a notch in music rep. BD is impressive year after year because of their strength across all captions, and sub captions. For instance, Crown was very strong in brass and music ensemble last year, winning those captions, but BD was right behind in the overall music caption because their percussion score was so high. Guard caption always strong --usually first. Visual performance and ensemble always 1 or 2 for the past few years. Crown had relative weaknesses in visual, and prevented them from being closer. Bottom line -- BD is tough to beat because of their excellence across all captions. And what may not work in cohesive melodic pieces that extend 3-4 minutes (if that is indeed what "works") is made it up in sheer brilliant execution, visual, technique, impact points, brass sound, etc. The way I see it -- drum corps is about the ooohs, ahhs, and the "I can't believe they did that". Being live at the Stanford show last night, there was a lot of that going on, by a lot of folks not wearing blue. If you want pure, sustained cohesive music that's not choppy, disjointed, etc etc etc, I say support the arts by enduring watching a BD, but also try a symphony, a broadway show, or even a local high school band concert.

Did you see Star in 1992? I guess not.

Did you hear the crowd when Cadets beat them at finals? I guess not.

You could not have been there. Star of Indiana was NOT the crowd favorite in 1993. The Star of Indiana shows of earlier years got a better reception than did the 1993 show did... and at every venue they competed at too. The Cadets won in 1993. I agreed with their top placement. I thought the judges got it right that year too.

Edited by BRASSO

Because they don't want to argue the merits.

BD gets called out on their arranging because they're the only ones doing it -- not because they're winning. That argument is the biggest pile of fanboy hooie I've ever seen on DCP.

And again, this is your opinion. You manufacture some kind of mass dislike for their music, trot out a few folks on DCP and call it a ground swell. The fact that they win is irrelivant to the popularity of the corps. They simply are amazing designers and Wayne Downey is in a class of his own. And no manner of your dislike for the present or recent past music, your effort to minimize their creativity or general criticism of their production will change the course of things....yet another thrilling and entertaining BD show.

They might just as easily say " What in the hell were they thinking? ". More hooie.

As someone who has had plenty of fun conversations in show threads I have to say this is "hooie". I know that you have a kid in Crown and want them to win a championship. As for me i have no relation to anyone in either corps so i watched as an unbiased fan and last year BDs music was great their visual was great and ####### clean. That show deserved the championship. It wasnt what the fans thought (who are they to choose when DCI pays for judges with many degrees in music stuff) but in the end the better group won. This show made more sense and was just more entertaining to me IMO. When I think of the shows from finals this one is the one i remember the most. Now that we are in another year people will be going after BD again because their design team is putting stuff out there that will win but some fans wont like. Gutsy move yes but at the end of the season what do people remember? who won or who was entertaining?

You could not have been there. Star of Indiana was NOT the crowd favorite in 1993. The Star of Indiana shows of earler years got a better reception than did the 1993 show did... and at every venue they competed at too.

I didn't say that they were the crowd favourite in 1993.

As for earlier years, had you been there you would have remembered that there was TREMENDOUS animosity towards them for being a start-up corps with money.

I think everyone gets the idea. You don't like BD's musical style. So let's knock em down a notch in music rep. BD is impressive year after year because of their strength across all captions, and sub captions. For instance, Crown was very strong in brass and music ensemble last year, winning those captions, but BD was right behind in the overall music caption because their percussion score was so high. Guard caption always strong --usually first. Visual performance and ensemble always 1 or 2 for the past few years. Crown had relative weaknesses in visual, and prevented them from being closer. Bottom line -- BD is tough to beat because of their excellence across all captions. And what may not work in cohesive melodic pieces that extend 3-4 minutes (if that is indeed what "works") is made it up in sheer brilliant execution, visual, technique, impact points, brass sound, etc. The way I see it -- drum corps is about the ooohs, ahhs, and the "I can't believe they did that". Being live at the Stanford show last night, there was a lot of that going on, by a lot of folks not wearing blue. If you want pure, sustained cohesive music that's not choppy, disjointed, etc etc etc, I say support the arts by enduring watching a BD, but also try a symphony, a broadway show, or even a local high school band concert.

Perfect...period!

I didn't say that they were the crowd favourite in 1993.

As for earlier years, had you been there you would have remembered that there was TREMENDOUS animosity towards them for being a start-up corps with money.

No... this discussion is not about what took place OFF the field. I can't let you change the subject like this. The discussion revolves around crowd response to the shows. That is what this thread is about. Not the off the field animosity irrelevancy. (ala the G-7 off the field stuff of today being likewise irrelevent to most fans reaction to a Blue Devils show)The more favorable responses that most nationwide fans gave Star of earlier years than their 93 edition had nothing to do with the jealousy present in some quarters that they were a very rich Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

No... this discussion is not about what took place OFF the field. I can't let you change the subject like this. The discussion revolves around crowd response to the shows. That is what this thread is about. No the off the field animosity (ala the G-7 off the field stuff of today being irrelevent to most fans reaction to a Blue Devils show)

Off the field? Change the subject?

They were booed at shows.

Holy Siegfried and Roy..........

Edited by LincolnV