The OFFICIAL 2010 Blue Devils Thread

I'm typically a giant BD fan.

Didn't care for the show last year, but understand why it won.

I love the source music for their 2010 show, and the arrangement is powerful. That said, the show is overdesigned, IMO. Too many big ideas in too short a time. Judges like it though, and if it wins or scores high, other corps will emulate the approach.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the source music for their 2010 show, and the arrangement is powerful. That said, the show is overdesigned, IMO. Too many big ideas in too short a time. Judges like it though, and if it wins or scores high, other corps will emulate the approach.

Agree.

Whether you like the show or not, the corps is very talented this year, and performs the show very well.

Saw it and enjoyed it, as I have every BD show I have ever seen (YOWSA excepted). But when I start bringing large groups -- bands, new fans, kids, adults etc. -- to drum corps shows later in the summer, most of them will be underwhelmed by BD, as they have been ever since I started leading these trips. They'll applaud BD, and they may very well be stupefied and awed, but that's hardly the same as being a favorite.

Stupified and awed is pretty good, anyway! You might be stupified and awed by that 22 year old in the thong bikini next to you on the beach, but your wife on your other side is your favorite! :blink:

My guess is..you have sensory overload...sort of like the first time your kid showed you how to use Guitar Hero! :blink: Give it time...you'll get it.

My guess is..you have sensory overload...sort of like the first time your kid showed you how to use Guitar Hero! :blink: Give it time...you'll get it.

First, I'm 33, not 73. And even if I were 73, Guitar Hero wouldn't cause sensory overload. It's not some incomprhensible marvel of engineering and sensory stimulation, it's a stupid ####### game.

Second, there is nothing in any drum corps show that is beyond my understanding. It's marching band, not Kant prose.

There is nothing in any drum corps show that is beyond my understanding. It's marching band, not Kant prose.

I know..Kant prose is not nearly as fun to put on the field!

I can't wait til a corps does "a critique of pure reason." Or, perhaps I should say I Kant wait. tee. hee.

If any corps decides to take itself and activity too seriously and does a Hume/Kant show, I will give up on drum corps.

Seriously.

Edited by megadrive

I can't wait til a corps does "a critique of pure reason." Or, perhaps I should say I Kant wait. tee. hee.

anyway, what's up with these System Blue horns I'm hearing about? They're made by King, right? How are they different than regular Kings.

Yes. They've been touched by John Meehan! :blink: