Vanguard overtaking BD's again......

While the 2.2 is certainly not a massive disparity score-wise from their first head-to-head, some may feel that they'll be chasing BD's all season and won't be able to close that gap.

Can they do it this year?

If so, what will it take?

Is the music too "un-approachable" for fans to embrace?

I know there are a lot of new faces on the SCV drumline, perhaps too many for the corps to finish in the top 3.

Regardless, it'll be fun watching them clean, tweak, develop their show as the season progresses.

VANGUAAAAAARD! (Speaking of........where's the "yell" this year?)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If my memory of caption scores is decent enough...I think I'm right in saying one of SCV's biggest holdbacks in the past 20 years has been its visual. Their feet are often sloppy, and their visual ensemble can be very sloppy, too. I use 'sloppy' as a comparative term, they're still a great corps. With the exception of a few years here and there, their guard isn't top 3, either. Their percussion and sometimes GE are usually their strengths.

If my memory of caption scores is decent enough...I think I'm right in saying one of SCV's biggest holdbacks in the past 20 years has been its visual. Their feet are often sloppy, and their visual ensemble can be very sloppy, too. I use 'sloppy' as a comparative term, they're still a great corps. With the exception of a few years here and there, their guard isn't top 3, either. Their percussion and sometimes GE are usually their strengths.

Interestingly, they beat BD in visual last night.

Interestingly, they beat BD in visual last night.

And visual has mainly been a strong point of theirs the last couple of years, at least. Brass was a strong point last year, but the last several year's Vis has kept them as high as they've been.

I think some music areas have been a problem, and over-all design has hurt them. I think, at least in the last four or so seasons (not counting this year, as I haven't seen them yet) they have largely taken their product about as far as possible with the design they're given. Love last year's show all we want (and I did LOVE it), but there were some MAJOR design issues that made it impossible for them to get beyond fifth.

Haven't seen SCV yet this year, but I think they'll have trouble catching up to BD this time around. Speaking from a fan standpoint, though I don't really care, I'm thrilled with the music they've chosen. I understand it may be "inaccessable" (sp) to some but I'm a huge fan of these pieces. :thumbup:

As much as I love SCV's show, this is not the year they catch up to BD again.

BD is flat out insane this year...

Re " Their percussion and sometimes GE are usually their strengths."

You ARE aware that they cme in 6th in percusion last year? And this year's first score was 14.60 in Perc, just about where last year was?

Nope, no top-3 for them, at this pace.

AJMHO