Stanford Review

Just got back from a great night at Stanford. We didn't arrive until intermission.

Pacific Crest: Their theme was "Maze". Some good drill that lives up to the theme. Horn line projected quite well, but several stick outs. This corps does a nice job. I enjoyed their visual package.

Mandarins Too much synthesizer. The Arabian theme was good, but at about 7 minutes into the show, I felt like I was listening to Cirque du Soleil music. SINGING from the synth. Yuck. Guard is always a highlight of this group. Nice drill. Good potential.

Blue Knights Usually, BK bores me. NOT SO THIS YEAR. I'd say, next to BD, the best crowd reaction of the night. "Europa" was a hit. Wonderful brass sound. Fantastic classical book. First chills of the night. Love BK this year!

Troopers Notch below BK in impact and effect. Still, a very solid corps that does a good job with their theme, "Wanted". So great to see the Troopers back in the competitive hunt.

SCV Ugh. Ok. I really loved SCV last year. The show was sophisticated, reserved, classy ... just perfect. This year .... I guess I'm not a Bartok guy ... it was just BORING to me. Technically and musically, I see how this show will score pretty darn high in August. They are doing a lot of intricate, musical things out their on the field. Drill is nice. Guard is good, not great. Percussion solid. But this show never grabs you. Heck -- I was struggling to hear the corps several times during exposed moments. I was 20 rows up from the field, and I couldn't HEAR them. Show not finished, which I don't get. Very talented corps. Very musical book. Boring for me. 5th or 6th place. 4th if they live up to potential.

BD Amazing talent. Out of this world guard. Best marching technique out there. When they move, they MOVE. "Through a Glass Darkly" is a fun, intense and chaotic show. Brass sound is HUGE. Percussion just as strong as last year to me. I actually think BD has more cleaning to do than usually, particularly on the music ensemble side. The brass book is awfully difficult, and abstract at times. The opening minutes is really cool. Guard doing cool moves in front of the mirrors (wow -- really cool visual effects, but also pretty BUSY). Horn line pops out, and then, without really realizing it, you have the complete hornline racing toward you for the big impact. "Laura" is definitely a highlight, as is the park, dance and blow. I do agree with some posters that the music doesn't flow that well ... for me after "Laura". part of it is the source material, which isn't exactly the most straightforward of music. I really enjoy Jay Murphy's visual design. I think BD is second to none in putting together a perfectly staged show. I saw a lot of very fast, beautiful movement by the hornline. All-in-all, the talent in this corps, from the hornline to the pit to the drum line to the GUARD (hands down, they will win high guard again) ... every element is seeping with talent. I've seen the Cadets and Crown on FN .. not Cavies or Bluecoats yet. So obviously hard to say, but based on what I saw, and the reaction of the crowd (amazed, gasping, "whoa") I'd bet on this show winning it all. 2nd at worst.

Looking forward to a great, competitive season. BD blows me away, but BK was the best surprise of the night.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review......I agree with most of what you say.............I watched on Fan Network.........I also think BD has a high level of talent, and the show is challenging.........I do think that music continuity could/should catch up to them, as there are other corps with high demand with books that are far more musical in that regard. BD will be deadly in execution, though, which is what will make them tough.........however, it will be interesting to see what will happen when corps with more accessible musical products also execute in August..........

GB

I also watched on the Fan Network and thought Vanguard was incredible - it's probably a matter of tatse - but I was amazed by their show and can't wait to see the finished product.

later,

Mike

Thanks for posting a review!

I watched last night on the Fan Network. I sense a little BD bias in your comments :blink: . That's cool, 'cause I obviously have one towards SCV.

I absolutely LOVED Vanguards drill! I think they'll be one of the top two visual programs of the season when it's all over. Vanguards music? Yeah, a little esoteric for me, but when they actually have a melody it sounds nice.

I'm not use to seeing Blue Devils quite so dirty. It's actually nice for a change - gives the other corps a chance to catch-up.

I'm sure all corps will look completely different by Indianapolis, and I'll be there to witness it.

Thanks again for the review

Thanks for posting a review!

I watched last night on the Fan Network. I sense a little BD bias in your comments :blink: . That's cool, 'cause I obviously have one towards SCV.

I absolutely LOVED Vanguards drill! I think they'll be one of the top two visual programs of the season when it's all over. Vanguards music? Yeah, a little esoteric for me, but when they actually have a melody it sounds nice.

I'm not use to seeing Blue Devils quite so dirty. It's actually nice for a change - gives the other corps a chance to catch-up.

I'm sure all corps will look completely different by Indianapolis, and I'll be there to witness it.

Thanks again for the review

Bias toward BD? Not at all .... :blink: :)

I watched the shows again on FN. I agree with you both on BD not being nearly as clean as they typically are in June, and also that Scv has a brilliant drill. Much easier to see that w high camera view vs my 20 rows up. Boring may have been a strong word to use .... Scv is going for the subtle, intricate, virtuoso thing in 2009 and 2010. It certainly worked for me last year. Oh! Forgot to mention whack a mole in scv's show. That wasn't boring at all. :)

I watched both SCV and BD on the FN. Let me preface by saying I have been a BD fan on and off since I was a kid. Some years I love them and other years I hate them.

I am going to agree with pretty much everything that has been said here. BD looks dirty at times and sounds dirty at times but man there is a lot happening out there on that field. No one is going to accuse them of dot markers or sitting down for half the show. This corps is on the move from the word go and does not let up till the end. The percussion feature once fine tuned is really going to be amazing. Probably the best I have ever seen.

Visually once cleaned up there is no one in DCI that are going to touch them with the exception of CC. I feel the same way about BD hornline. The music once connected will flow and there are some of those moments in the show where you have to get off your arse and applaud.

This is one show you do not want to go get a hot dog at.

As for SCV I am kind of off and on about them too. Last year I could not get enough of their show and this year it seems a bit ho hum. I am going to reserve judgment till I see the show further down the road.

Edited by camel lips

lol i'm sure no one in DCA will be able to touch BD

lol i'm sure no one in DCA will be able to touch BD

I slipped on that one.

:blink: