The Loudest Corps 2010

When I recall loud hornlines of the past and present, I separate them in my mind into two categories: Those that are "white-noise loud" (BD, Spirit, Glassmen) and those that are "physically present loud" (Crown, PR and Bloo).

I agree with that, too, though I'd switch the parentheticals with BD and PR every year except a couple.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember being at Semi's warmups last year and saw BD warmup, F-tuning.

Many expletives were yelled. They were ####### loud.

Let's make this non-opinion based and have someone in a fixed location at the first regional with a db meter to measure the highest decibel level reached by each corps... :rolleyes: Just kidding, I haven't seen all the shows live, so I'm not sure who's the loudest. Of the corps I have seen so far this year, Crown is noticeably the loudest.

the real question is, who is blending and matching tone quality? and who is in tune?

Crown is.

They are the loudest I've ever heard in June, and the loudest this year with the limited number of corps I've heard.

To those of you who haven't been to a show this year, then you should know that LOUD is back in style.

John Meehan himself said that was one of the greatest Blue Devil warm ups he's ever experienced. Flat out said "That was the best Space Chords I have ever heard."

to answer the original question...

Spirit...1980...

the last echo just passed through..

Assuming all young people have similar "mechanisms" for BLOWing (muscles; lung, abdominal, face, etc), what actually makes one hornline louder than another? I mean, surely you don't think one hornline has super-human members, right? Can we agree that all members are created equal?

Then it must come down to something other than BLOWing. Those factors are (in order of most impact on loud, during a show, excluding environment):

-Staging (no matter what, you won't be loud if you're not staged properly)

-Writing (no matter what, you won't be loud if the writing sucks)

-Instruction (some instructors CHOOSE not to be loudest; "no bad sounds!")

-Instruments (some instruments are built for loud; some not so much)

-Intonation (this will separate the loudest from the loud, assuming all other factors are there. Your point is well taken: If the staging/writing sucks, or the instructors don't let the members blow, perfect intonation means nothing!)

(oops, I think I just killed another thread using logic over emotion...OK, let's add some emotion...save the thread...)

When I recall loud hornlines of the past and present, I separate them in my mind into two categories: Those that are "white-noise loud" (BD, Spirit, Glassmen) and those that are "physically present loud" (Crown, PR and Bloo). I tend to PREFER the loud hornlines that I can feel, like a physical thing pushing against my chest. The other loud hornlines just make me wince, lol.

Yeah, forgive me for not going into all that stuff. Considering we have this debate literally verbatim every year (with the same exact posters making the same exact points, no less), I decided to cut to the chase. Not that I agree entirely with some of your points (that its impossible to be loud with poor staging for example...), but I'm sure we can all agree that staging, and writing have a lot to do with it. Regardless, you can have a power horn block in the frickin stands if you want with the best staff in the world, but until the players actually take a breath and put air into the horns, well....nothing else matters at all actually

A 20 man horn line in a arc is loud when you are standing that close. The problem is and remains, is when they get on the field, and you are 20-40 yards away in the stands, the horn line can barely overpower the synthetic music and pit.

FAIL

Actually all drum have always been bands. Just a tad closer to the real deal nowadays.