Really crappy fans.

The name of the corps related to this fan doesn't matter because it wasn't specific to one corps.

So I was at the Madison show last night. A couple who had a kid in one of the competing corps sat in front of me all night. Never applauded or reacted in any positive way to any of the corps, including their kid's corps. Ran down each corps after their performance. They weren't loud and obnoxious about it but it could be heard by those around them.

Why in the world does someone go to a drum corps show just to ##### and look for the negative? At first I thought it was just an ###**** thing towards other corps but not even reacting to your kid's corps? Man, you must be a riot at parties. The funniest thing was that there were other parents/alumni from that corps around them and not.one.person stopped to say hi or pass the time of day or offer encouragemen to their kid. I wonder why?

Just a reminder that the members in ALL the corps need out support to continue to want to perform for us. I cheered loudest for my corps but I cheered and applauded for every.single.corps that performed, no matter their skill levels.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably out of work NYC theatre critics looking to fill their spare time. Did the drop a lot of big words like "denouement" and "mise-en-scene?"

on an unrelated note, does every corps have a kid named "Scooter?" I could swear I hear someone yell that name before just about every corps.

Edited by vferrera

The name of the corps related to this fan doesn't matter because it wasn't specific to one corps.

So I was at the Madison show last night. A couple who had a kid in one of the competing corps sat in front of me all night. Never applauded or reacted in any positive way to any of the corps, including their kid's corps. Ran down each corps after their performance. They weren't loud and obnoxious about it but it could be heard by those around them.

Why in the world does someone go to a drum corps show just to ##### and look for the negative? At first I thought it was just an ###**** thing towards other corps but not even reacting to your kid's corps? Man, you must be a riot at parties. The funniest thing was that there were other parents/alumni from that corps around them and not.one.person stopped to say hi or pass the time of day or offer encouragemen to their kid. I wonder why?

Just a reminder that the members in ALL the corps need out support to continue to want to perform for us. I cheered loudest for my corps but I cheered and applauded for every.single.corps that performed, no matter their skill levels.

It's always going to happen. Every show has them.

Every once in a while, a turd floats to the surface. Ignore and flush.

I've run into the same thing a lot with new marching band parents. The mindset of competitive marching is foreign to anyone who has never participated. Parents new to drum corps or band often come in with a sports mind-set, thinking it is acceptable (and expected) to trash their child's competition. More experienced parents/fans associated with that particular corps/band need to tell them otherwise. Though with drum corps, new parents may not necessarily come into contact with other parents from their child's corps.

That, or they could simply be jerks. There's plenty of those, too.

Whatever corps they "belonged" to, I hope you don't let them tarnish your opinion of that organization.

Every corps has people like that. Every high school does too. Sports teams, even entire countries have people that act this way.

Unfortunately, it's just part of life.

I hope you were still able to enjoy the show as much as possible!

Every once in a while, a turd floats to the surface. Ignore and flush.

A most picturesque comment if ever I read one. :blink:

It's always going to happen. Every show has them.

And every forum (people coming to a forum dedicated to modern drum corps and then doing little but complain about how horrible modern drum corps is).

I used to get all upset with people in the stands, but I just decided:

a) they paid money to get in as well, they can cheer or not cheer however they want. As long as they're not a constant, major disruption to those around them who cares.

b) if they don't bother me (more than annoying me with negativity), it's usually not worth the effort to worry about. Sit back and enjoy the show, and if those around you don't applaud as much as you think they should so be it.

Why in the world does someone go to a drum corps show just to ##### and look for the negative?

Perhaps they knew you were a regular here on DCP and just wanted you to feel comfortable. :)