Really crappy fans.

I was recently at the Clovis, Ca and sat near a man who was reading nearly the entire time.

He rarely clapped, in fact, he rarely took his head out of the book to actually watch the show...

I got the impression that no corps was good enough for him to spend his precious time watching... even though he paid for a ticket?

It seemed like he was purposely trying to show those around him that he did not care about the performance, even though he was sitting in the best seats in the house...

He like drum corps to be his novel sound track?

sometimes the best seats in the house go to sponsors of a local or corporate level. and I have to be honest, sometimes the behavior of the sponsors makes me want to sit near teenagers.

they got their freebie cause they shlled out some bucks, but it's like going to a corporate box at a sporting event...the game is secondary, people are there to network

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sometimes the best seats in the house go to sponsors of a local or corporate level. and I have to be honest, sometimes the behavior of the sponsors makes me want to sit near teenagers.

they got their freebie cause they shlled out some bucks, but it's like going to a corporate box at a sporting event...the game is secondary, people are there to network

Would rather sit by teenagers? You are a brave soul. If I had a guy around me reading during a show, I would certainly be confused and question his presence, but I would rather have him beside me than take my chances with a high school band kid who might talk/text all through the show. Not to bash teenagers. I was one just a few years ago, but the last two or three times I sat around a large group of them, it was obviously a high school band with more kids interested in talking to their buddies than watching most of the corps. At Sevierville in 2007 I thought I was going to lose it during Vanguard's encore because during both the "Phantom of the Opera" ending and "Send In the Clowns" I could barely hear over the cell phone ringers and EVERYONE TALKING LIKE THIS TO THE PERSON NEXT TO THEM. There should be some widespread way of teaching basic show etiquette.

at times, when sitting with some corporate hotshots who got their freebeis...yes I would rather sit by the kids.

the last time I went to finals, I had good Friends seats my group had been paying for for years. And we had several VIP's around us who loudly commnted all week how they got their free seats, and talked about everything but the actual shows.

these were adults too

Would rather sit by teenagers? You are a brave soul. If I had a guy around me reading during a show, I would certainly be confused and question his presence, but I would rather have him beside me than take my chances with a high school band kid who might talk/text all through the show. Not to bash teenagers. I was one just a few years ago, but the last two or three times I sat around a large group of them, it was obviously a high school band with more kids interested in talking to their buddies than watching most of the corps. At Sevierville in 2007 I thought I was going to lose it during Vanguard's encore because during both the "Phantom of the Opera" ending and "Send In the Clowns" I could barely hear over the cell phone ringers and EVERYONE TALKING LIKE THIS TO THE PERSON NEXT TO THEM. There should be some widespread way of teaching basic show etiquette.

Along the same topic. The DCA prelim crowd is sooooo much more enthusiastic and fun than the finals crowd! The dollars that are brought in by the reserved finals crowd is much needed but the prelim seat stealing rowdy drum corps fanatatic's make the weekend for me!

Edited by dugada

Bahahahaha Irony meter meltdown

When did you become King ? :sad:

Where are these rules written ? Who the heck are you ( or I ) to say whats appropriate ?

Seems you're passing judgement on that poster for expressing that ( sometimes unfortunatly ) we have freedom of speech which is also fredom of expression. We may not like what those people do but unless there are rules printed on the ticket that were broken, theres nothing you or I can do about it. Ain't America grand ?

I'm all for electric cattle prods for people who act like idiots at shows, but then how many people think you or I act like elitists and snobs because we DON'T go nuts in "their" manner ?

I am simply making my case! I never claimed to be a KING? The rules are simply a form of etiquette and decency. My point is that it makes no difference whether at a sporting event or DCI competition, bashing an opponent should not be, and is not acceptable. I happen to believe that the poster that I referenced initially was saying that DCI is somehow more refined an activity and thus it is not proper to do such things in the stands. You can spin my opinion any way you want, but I stand by it. If you read the initial post I responded to my interpretation is reasonable. I think it was obvious that I didn't like what the poster stated and that has nothing to do with freedom of expression. I don't think I made the statement that they weren't entitled to their opinion, I just gave mine. Now you have given yours and I have responded. Should we continue debating freedom of speech, or should we decide if DCI is more high-brow that the average sporting event? UGH?

I know the difference. I was actually answering the frst part of your first answer. "Because they buy tickets" is an insufficient answer, and one should ask why they buy tickets and yet suck as show attendees.

Probably because they're jerks! :sad:

So, the question is plain: Are these hypothetical attendees good fans, because they've bought tickets to support their kids and don't offer disparaging commentary, or are they bad fans because they sit there, not paying attention and taking the seat of someone who might actually care?

What do we think about this situation?

As long as they're not giving disparaging commentary about the corps or talking during the performance who are we to tell them how to enjoy a show?

They bought a ticket and are there legally. I know it makes some people feel bad, but I don't have a problem with it. We shouldn't try to tell others how to enjoy a show as long as it doesn't infringe on our personal rights and they aren't doing something illegal. :sad:

Edited by jjeffeory

At the Fort Mill show a couple weeks ago, the guy next to me would NOT stop talking through shows, making comments, both good and bad, throughout every performance. I'm totally tolerant of a cheer or yell through a show, but other than that, SHUT UP. He even let out a loud BOO, when Teal Sound's guitar player played his first solo. Now, I may not be the biggest fan of having the guitar and bass there, but those kids are working hard and definitely don't deserve that crap. This dude definitely got the drum corps fan fail +1!

No matter where you go, there will be someone who has no respect for the activity or for the kids. What we do is cheer for every corps and talk, between performances, about what a great ballad they had, or one of the formations, etc. Our son marches with Pioneer so we hear quite a lot of #### from people who have no respect for the activity or for the effort the kids put out. Many times a simple comment like "Sir, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." will shut them up. If not, ignore them and enjoy the show.

Everyone is a critic. I will never forget a sourpuss in front of me at the Little Rock, AR show in 1990. He actually turned around and told me how bad Vanguard sucked as I cheered for them. Real sweetheart, that one.