Thunderous Goo

The problem is that even though people are disgruntled they still go to shows, by DVD's and CD's and subscribe to Fancast. Until those things stop happening then they activity will go the way of the broadway show.....Over produced and over priced.

Too many people are too passionate about the activity to stop going to shows and buying merchandise. As irritating as some of this stuff is I have a hard time imagining a scenario in which things got so bad that I wouldn't watch/listen anymore.

We were at the Arlington Show too and can attest to the too much use of the synths by Bluecoats, we also found the Crossmens synths to be way too loud, in fact it hurt my ears! Mind you we were sitting in row 4! The Bluecoats synths drowned out the solo players and they were miked!

They're not miced for volume - they are miced because the solos are being run through an effect using the synth. so what you are actually hearing is the soloist when you think you are hearing synth.

what's worse, the end result is in a dome.

what will really muddy up the sound the most in a dome?

low end

Coming in late on this, so I'm not sure if it's been discussed. I'd like to throw my reaction to you post here into the ring, Jeff. What if (and I'm not saying they are. Pure speculation.) the instructors/arrangers are preparing for the dome by having their low brass play quieter? Then, to make it sound "correct" outside, they're bumping up the synth. Easy fix for the dome. Turn down or water the synth at those parts, and you're oil can ready! Again, pure speculation.

Too many people are too passionate about the activity to stop going to shows and buying merchandise. As irritating as some of this stuff is I have a hard time imagining a scenario in which things got so bad that I wouldn't watch/listen anymore.

I can. The first clarinet or sax player allowed on the field of competition, I'm gone forever. Spirit's guitar in the pit almost did the trick last season. I understand Teal Sound has two of those in their show -- great. :sleeping:

Coming in late on this, so I'm not sure if it's been discussed. I'd like to throw my reaction to you post here into the ring, Jeff. What if (and I'm not saying they are. Pure speculation.) the instructors/arrangers are preparing for the dome by having their low brass play quieter? Then, to make it sound "correct" outside, they're bumping up the synth. Easy fix for the dome. Turn down or water the synth at those parts, and you're oil can ready! Again, pure speculation.

I ran this idea by an acoustical engineer friend of mine and he stated that your assumption of low synth in a dome stadium is pretty much on target. By the way, a few posts back someone said that they did not notice SCV using low synth last year at Finals. I picked it up live when the dome was completely filled with a gorgeous low end presence, but it was so subtle not many caught it as being synthetic. Key and the guys at SCV wrote for a dome, and now it appears that many other corps arrangers are trying to follow that lead.

Edited by Stu

They're not miced for volume - they are miced because the solos are being run through an effect using the synth. so what you are actually hearing is the soloist when you think you are hearing synth.

well whatever they were doing I didnt like it. Oh well.