Also factor in transportation costs to and from camps if you are not local. Flights, bus, car, etc... That can add up to about as much as the corps tuition if you are having to take flights or etc each month to the camps.

I always had about $200+ for tour--didn't always need it, but there were times when you will want to eat at a nice place on a free day... or etc.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... the fee is $2,100.00. He had weekend camps once a month for five months and the plane fair was no more than $180.00 round trip. He was given a ride to and from the airport to the camp/housing site. He was fed four meals a day. When he left for pre tour I gave him about $160.00, and with $90.00 of that he bought a corps jacket. (The corps) has A LOT of mail stops so I have already sent him things he forgot/needs and more money. So, in total it has cost me a little over $3,000.00.

Wow. Great comparative story. I think what you are seeing here is the difference between an organization that has been around for a long time and has had many meaningful meetings and plans discussed about how they can and will continue to progress and maintain the membership of their corps in the economy we live in now. No members, no corps... no corps, no organization... no organization, no reason for "the corps, Inc." to exist.

The one corps is no doubt a great organization as well, but hasn't yet either realized or been able to facilitate what the more experienced corps has in this fashion. A lesson here for all corps to take away from...

<Edit: it appears you rethought your post, so I will respect the "please mention no names" ... but the story of the cost and the effort the corps goes to to assist the members is still valid and worth mentioning>

Edited by GGarrett

i would allow 100 for each weekend camp, between 2,500 and 3,500 for fee (including uniform, move in, and whatever other fees they throw at you). plus your personal travel expenses. plus i know that i had to have a new wardrobe of clothes to march in (300 of clothes and shoes). then i would do what everyone said and allow 200 for tour money. so all in all i would say 4000 plus personal travel expenses.

its a lot of money, but there are lots of people that are willing to donate

Wow! Some of you guys must have been living large on tour.

It was 1200 for all corps fees and I lived on 200 for the full tour. No problems.

I don't really understand what some of you are spending money on. Am I getting old?

As far as tour fees go, im sure a lot of that is going to the dramatic increase in gas prices.

As far as money on tour... that seems to vary person to person..

Wow! Some of you guys must have been living large on tour.

It was 1200 for all corps fees and I lived on 200 for the full tour. No problems.

I don't really understand what some of you are spending money on. Am I getting old?

$1200 isn't going to be anywhere close to enough money to march in 2010.

The only money you really need for tour is enough for food on free days (edit: and laundry). But you can easily spend $5 every time the buses stop on the road and the staff lets you buy stuff.

Edited by soccerguy315

i would allow 100 for each weekend camp, between 2,500 and 3,500 for fee (including uniform, move in, and whatever other fees they throw at you). plus your personal travel expenses. plus i know that i had to have a new wardrobe of clothes to march in (300 of clothes and shoes). then i would do what everyone said and allow 200 for tour money. so all in all i would say 4000 plus personal travel expenses.

its a lot of money, but there are lots of people that are willing to donate

I'm confused by this.... tour wardrobe?? seriously? it's called your section shorts (maybe you got 2 pair, so say 60.00) and a pair of nice shoes. (sports bras for girls - which most of us already own).

what new do you really need besides shoes? :tongue:

I spent money on shoes and section shorts and that was it.

$1200 isn't going to be anywhere close to enough money to march in 2010.

The only money you really need for tour is enough for food on free days (edit: and laundry). But you can easily spend $5 every time the buses stop on the road and the staff lets you buy stuff.

my dues were 1200. lol it's crazy how much it costs, but it's so so worth it!

it's topics like this that make me realize how lucky i am to have come from a good home with parents willing to pay for all this stuff. i live in oklahoma and they paid for me to fly to every camp in madison...quite a ways away....but like krista said before, it's so worth it! it truly changed my life!