Peaking early/too soon

I hear what you guys mean by our shows being "over-written," that the drill we performed could be spot clean, but it takes a much longer process than usual. However, this is what I find interesting:

If you asked me which show was more over-written that I've marched, it's definitely 2007. Yet we had a very solid corps that year and pulled it off. I don't think 2009 was over-written, but the corps wasn't as solid as 2007, if that makes sense.

Now this year's show for Cadets seems attainable for the members. There's about 90 new members in the corps, but since they are moving in slower tempos this year, it's going to help them get solid faster. It won't be like 2006 (hard show for a rookie corps).

Perhaps, but don't forget the George factor! Just when you think you're done....you're not! :tongue:

Edited by Plan9

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a combination of the psychological state of the members and the design.

I'd have to point to when I marched in 2008. Our best show of the season (at least from my perception) was the last one before finals week. Then again, when you walk on the field to a slow clap, it's hard not to kick ### after that. After the performance, the vibe from the members and staff was absolutely incredible - I've only experienced that emotion once in two years of marching. That was, in my opinion our peak performance. The members weren't burnt out after it-- we were still positive and working hard (on an incomplete field full of hills, urgh), and there was still stuff that needed to be cleaned, but our performance level dropped. I wouldn't say it was an overtly noticeable drop (we did move up on Finals, after all), but I don't think the performance level (not necessarily the execution) was as high as it was before finals week.

Then again there might be 149 other members who disagree with me. (Not to mention anyone who followed us closely)

This is nothing sarcastic or amusing I'm trying to talk about, but basically I am confused about this idea of "peaking too early" or whatever you call it.

In my opinion, there's no such thing as peaking too early because no one's going to become perfect. The better you get, the more mistakes (and weakness) you find, IMO, and even when it seems like you're finals ready on the first show.

So with corps like Carolina Crown, as clean as they looked right out of the gate, yes it's true they are smoking hot this year and could even win a championship. But have they "peaked too soon"? If so, what does it mean? Does it mean they can't get cleaner between now and finals? To be honest, IMO, their guard could be keeping them from the ring, and I'm not saying that to put them down, but I'm saying that to point out a weakness in Crown this year.

It's something I've always thought about, but I was wondering about what other opinions exist out there. Thoughts?

Without reading everyone elses responses I think the answer is quite simple. Example one, 1987 Phantom Regiment. 3rd in Semi's - 5th at finals. The difference in performance was astounding. Peaking too early is more about being on autopilot and losing focus mentally. It's also about putting out your most emotional shows before finals .... for some corps, they may be whicked clean, but the emotion just isn't there because they spent their tank the day before ... or the week before.

It could be internal strife between staff and corps members ... it could be back of the bus drama. It could be a million things you could blame, but it all comes down to the performer having a short term memory and laying it down every time they hit the field. If that focus is lost ... you've peaked.

It could be internal strife between staff and corps members ... it could be back of the bus drama. It could be a million things you could blame, but it all comes down to the performer having a short term memory and laying it down every time they hit the field. If that focus is lost ... you've peaked.

Aha...never thought of it that way. So if I'm reading correctly....

You could rehearse the same warmups over and over again, run the same chunks over again, and then perform the shows over again....but if you do not perform with more of what you got, with more focus, drive, and energy, yet it looks great, that's the peak?

I don't know if it's solely a mindset; you could also potentially chalk it up to physiology. For example, when the US Men's National Soccer Team was playing their final Group match against Algeria, they were playing for EVERYTHING: if they win, they win the group and move on to the next round, and if they lose they're out of the tournament and done. After the fairly embarrassing showing in 2002, their main goal was to make it to the Round of 16 (everything else, I suspect, would've been icing on the cake). If you watched that game, you'll know that USA literally put every once of strength, effort, and emotions to go for the win, and it finally game with a goal that came in extra time in the 92nd minute. Just three days later they play Ghana in the Round of 16, and while USA didn't lay down and die by any means, they were obviously not at the same level of mental drive that they were against Algeria just three days earlier. They played well, recovered from some mental mistakes to draw in regulation time only to (again) make poor errors that cost them an early goal in OT. The US Team obviously did not choose to not play at the peak of their ability; they were more than likely just emotionally spent/drained and didn't quite have as much to give against Ghana three days after the emotional high of Winning their Group.

Back to drum corps.... :tongue:

Not only can a show have design limits that ensure the show can only be good up to a certain point and score only so well on the sheets due to the judging rubric: it can have limits based on membership. Maybe the membership isn't experienced enough to be able the handle the pressure of continually performing at the high levels necessary to reach Top 3. Maybe the membership isn't talented enough to be able to march/play/spin at the high level needed to consistently be Top 3. Maybe the corps is limited by staff not capable of cleaning the group to Top 3.

There are PLENTY of variables that MUST come together to make-up a Top 3 corps/performance, and if anyone is not in place then the corps will eventually peak. Add to that, EVERY corps has a peak/ceiling, and it's a very delicate balance of programming the right material for the membership that will peak at the exact right moment you need it to: that's why there have been very few DCI World Champions over the years (eight total, with only six corps who have won still competing).

Great reply/argument/comparison here, counselor. :laughing: This is one of several posts here that makes a good case for what I believed to be both a different concept of "peaking" than I was limiting myself to and being persuasive enough to perhaps change my mind a bit.

Excellent. :laughing:

So far it does not seem that Crown has peaked. Perhaps their show may be easier than others, but they are performing it at a somewhat high level. Of course there is plenty of dirt to clean on the way to finals. The big question is whether or not they can push through the end of July and August.

Of course, the last 10 points are the hardest, giving ample time for other corps to catch up.

That's drum corps for you!

As I read this, one corps popped into my head - the 1976 Fond du Lac Marquis. Throughout the early part of the summer, they were just kicking Blue Stars's behind. I didn't get to see them in August until prelims. To say the least, they died on the vine and Blue Stars gapped them by a wide margin.

I buy it because I've seen it firsthand as a director. My kids had a fantastic performance of a few pieces that we'd been working our tails off on for a semester. We tried to record 2 of those pieces 2 weeks later, and the kids tanked. They just didn't have it in them any more and even though they really did try to bring it back the sparkle and nuance just wasn't there with the same quality that had been present just a few days earlier. It's a mystery, and it happens.

it can happen. the worst cases I've seen is the kids maxing out, and the staff not having any ideas or tweaks to add in to help take it to that next level...and they level off.

I still think back to 1991...DCI East, Crossmen either tie or beat BD and Cadets that day.

finals, they're in 8th, BD and Cadets both over them.

The show design is completely developed on the field before finals and gets cleaned therefore not having more to add. If you come out clean then you dont have much to do if you dont change stuff so the scores will slowly stay in the same area. If you do What Madison Scouts did in 07 and completely change the drill you will not peak early. I believe from Allentown to finals is when the final designs to the show should be on the field and cleaning for saturday night should be the only thing.(unless its adding a wedge from phantom or send in the clowns from SCV :tongue: )

it can happen. the worst cases I've seen is the kids maxing out, and the staff not having any ideas or tweaks to add in to help take it to that next level...and they level off.

I still think back to 1991...DCI East, Crossmen either tie or beat BD and Cadets that day.

finals, they're in 8th, BD and Cadets both over them.

Your post for some reason got me thinking about the 92 Crossmen at Allentown. One of the loudest corps to this day that I recall I ever heard at that venue. I didn't know drum corps much earlier than late eighties so I can't comment on that time period, but just from my own perspective...

I hope I didn't hijack this thread on peaking...

Well actually I think I can add an honorable mention on the peeking thing. In 1990, the Boston Crusaders I feel peeked at pre-lims (back then when there was preliminaries before quarters). We were sitting 10th based on that show and by Friday night we fished 15th and are score was flat.