Peaking early/too soon

This is nothing sarcastic or amusing I'm trying to talk about, but basically I am confused about this idea of "peaking too early" or whatever you call it.

In my opinion, there's no such thing as peaking too early because no one's going to become perfect. The better you get, the more mistakes (and weakness) you find, IMO, and even when it seems like you're finals ready on the first show.

So with corps like Carolina Crown, as clean as they looked right out of the gate, yes it's true they are smoking hot this year and could even win a championship. But have they "peaked too soon"? If so, what does it mean? Does it mean they can't get cleaner between now and finals? To be honest, IMO, their guard could be keeping them from the ring, and I'm not saying that to put them down, but I'm saying that to point out a weakness in Crown this year.

It's something I've always thought about, but I was wondering about what other opinions exist out there. Thoughts?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is nothing sarcastic or amusing I'm trying to talk about, but basically I am confused about this idea of "peaking too early" or whatever you call it.

In my opinion, there's no such thing as peaking too early because no one's going to become perfect. The better you get, the more mistakes (and weakness) you find, IMO, and even when it seems like you're finals ready on the first show.

So with corps like Carolina Crown, as clean as they looked right out of the gate, yes it's true they are smoking hot this year and could even win a championship. But have they "peaked too soon"? If so, what does it mean? Does it mean they can't get cleaner between now and finals? To be honest, IMO, their guard could be keeping them from the ring, and I'm not saying that to put them down, but I'm saying that to point out a weakness in Crown this year.

It's something I've always thought about, but I was wondering about what other opinions exist out there. Thoughts?

Some shows have more to clean than others, and getting clean can lift scores in all captions, most especially, GE.

Not sure there's anything else to explain with this.

Some shows have more to clean than others, and getting clean can lift scores in all captions, most especially, GE.

Not sure there's anything else to explain with this.

Yes this happens, and there are many factors involved. I marched Madison in '88 (we peaked at prelims). A week or so before finals, the staff gave us a drill re-write of about 30 seconds of the show. We spend a day or two learning it, then they changed it back. Turns out they were just giving us busy work to keep us from peaking early. The last few days before finals, we were adding horn pops, flashes, whatever they could think of like crazy - it wasn't for cranking up GE - it was to hold us back and keep us busy.

I've always wondered about the "peaking too soon" theory. I'm not sure if it happens or not and can be proven one way or another.

The thing about "peaking" is that it seems to imply that a corps performs their show so much that they then hit the absolute high performance standard of it, and then at some point the ability to perform that show at top performance ability ever again then mysteriously goes away or disappears. I don't buy that.

Edited by GGarrett

I've always wondered about the "peaking too soon" theory. I'm not sure if it happens or not and can be proven one way or another.

The thing about "peaking" is that it seems to imply that a corps performs their show so much that they then hit the absolute high performance standard of it, and then at some point the ability to perform that show at top performance ability ever again then mysteriously goes away or disappears. I don't buy that.

I buy it because I've seen it firsthand as a director. My kids had a fantastic performance of a few pieces that we'd been working our tails off on for a semester. We tried to record 2 of those pieces 2 weeks later, and the kids tanked. They just didn't have it in them any more and even though they really did try to bring it back the sparkle and nuance just wasn't there with the same quality that had been present just a few days earlier. It's a mystery, and it happens.

... and then at some point the ability to perform that show at top performance ability ever again then mysteriously goes away or disappears. I don't buy that.

On the contrary. I think there are shows that are under-designed, or even poorly designed, that the corps begins to max out the possibility of it ever achieving anything higher. Even if they perform it perfectly, the show itself has found it's ceiling.

Peaking too early can also mean the show is too easy. Other corps with more difficult shows pass you by. Most corps are at their best finals week, but some corps do not progress much the last few days while others fly by them because they are finally gelling. It makes it appear as if one corps had peaked and is falling back.

On the contrary. I think there are shows that are under-designed, or even poorly designed, that the corps begins to max out the possibility of it ever achieving anything higher. Even if they perform it perfectly, the show itself has found it's ceiling.

Good point... and I'll take that as well as Terris point.

I guess what I'm referring to would be more a "we performed it as well as we could on this date, and then were incapable of performing it that well ever again" peaking implication as opposed to there being a design flaw that took them as high as they could go ("peaked") compared to what other corps put in or added to their shows as they got nearer to finals. I can definetly see that as a "peaked out" situation related to design or music. But I "don't buy" the implied "peaked out" as far as performance goes. You did it very well or close to perfectly before... you can do it again. There is no "wall" you would hit and then start going backwards in performance if you are a performer.

edit to add: you may not care to do the show or performance as well ever again, so then I guess you did peak at some point. But that's a mindset... a choice... verses an actual "peak" of ability

Edited by GGarrett

It's a fine line designers play with every year.

Designing a show that will have enough juice to sustain 6 weeks (07 Bloo), but is not uncleanable (08 SCV).

It's a tough job.