Wouldn't it be smart?

In addition to parades, some corps also do things for their local communties that help them throughout the year too. It would be nice to have a show, but without funding and support, there would be no shows at all.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, dear dcp posters with short memories. We hosted said show in 2008 with Buccaneers, Hurricanes, Fusion, Sun Devils and Music City. The problem is that like this year, the parade days don't always line up with a show day. And based on our attendance where were all you folks who would like to see this show? We even had the Marine D&B as well.

I'd bet the corps running off to Baltimore for Independence Day parades from the South or other long distances aren't taking their whole corps. Probably just one bus worth if you're a bigger corps. Otherwise it wouldn't be cost effective to spend >$10k or whatever it is to travel (I'm just guessing); not much profit after doing all the parades. I could see one bus being worth it.

I saw somewhere someone saying there's no money in parades in the south; that's why they head to Baltimore and elsewhere.

Anyway, I see it would be a cool idea since all these corps are already near each other, but how many of them have their whole corps there and who wants to do 3 parades and a show in one day?

From Austin, Texas to Dayton, Ohio to rent a charter bus is in the $12,000 to $14,000 range. Does not include hotels for drivers.

I'm sure the cost to Baltimore/Maryland is a bit higher since the distance is a bit further.

Here in TX, we do have to pay to march in parades. I've never seen or heard of it before. In PA and Florida we either did it as "community building" for free or were paid to do the parade. I never heard of having to pay to be in a parade before moving here. Cost ranges from $50 to several hundred $.

PS--- The parades do not allow 501©(3) or nonprofit groups to get corporate sponsors for the parade either, as they feel those sponsors should be paying the parade organizers to participate (at a higher cost).

Remember, Drum Corps is a business as well as an art form. If the ROI (Return On Investment) was adequate, I think most corps would be willing to travel to participate in 2 or 3 parades plus a competition show that same weekend. For TX corps, most would likely lose a few thousand dollars in the process, or at best, break even to participate in the MD parades and a show (or two).

I'd bet the corps running off to Baltimore for Independence Day parades from the South or other long distances aren't taking their whole corps. Probably just one bus worth if you're a bigger corps. Otherwise it wouldn't be cost effective to spend >$10k or whatever it is to travel (I'm just guessing); not much profit after doing all the parades. I could see one bus being worth it.

I saw somewhere someone saying there's no money in parades in the south; that's why they head to Baltimore and elsewhere.

Anyway, I see it would be a cool idea since all these corps are already near each other, but how many of them have their whole corps there and who wants to do 3 parades and a show in one day?

Edited by quegrawks

Oh, dear dcp posters with short memories. We hosted said show in 2008 with Buccaneers, Hurricanes, Fusion, Sun Devils and Music City. The problem is that like this year, the parade days don't always line up with a show day. And based on our attendance where were all you folks who would like to see this show? We even had the Marine D&B as well.

I feel your pain there Bro. Keep at it.

Here in TX, we do have to pay to march in parades.

I wish I had a dime for everyone spectator that asked me over the July 4th weekend in Maryland why we came such a far distance to do a parade. Or I would get, Don't they have parades in Tn???

Parades around here charge you to march in them and the general chat around the campfire is that the exposure for the corps would be minimal considering they are not well attended. Not well attended in comparison to the parades in the NE.

PS--- The parades do not allow 501©(3) or nonprofit groups to get corporate sponsors for the parade either, as they feel those sponsors should be paying the parade organizers to participate (at a higher cost).

Interesting as this part is new to me.... Also interesting as if I heard right our corps was sponsored by Mars (guessing the candy co.) at the Dundalk parade.

LOL, heard ".... the corps is sponsored by" and I expected to hear "American Legion Post #14". Instead I heard "Mars". :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Interesting as this part is new to me.... Also interesting as if I heard right our corps was sponsored by Mars (guessing the candy co.) at the Dundalk parade.

LOL, heard ".... the corps is sponsored by" and I expected to hear "American Legion Post #14". Instead I heard "Mars". :tongue:

Mars is a grocery store chain. I went to Mars on Sunday :)

Thanks for coming by and saying hello BTW. It was great to put a face with a screen name.

Edited by camel lips

Mars is a grocery store chain. I went to Mars on Sunday :)

Thanks for coming by and saying hello BTW. It was great to put a face with a screen name.

OH DUH!!!!!! Now I remember seeing the float with the Martian on it the last couple of years. :tongue: So that's what that was all about.

And agree on putting faces to the names. The most fun I have that day is at the staging area at Dundalk walking around listening to the corps and looking up people I've met over the years.