Incomplete Shows

Hell, while we're at it, why not pay corps less when they have to march holes. Theres no excuse for that with alternates. It's just like Broadway and having a swing come in!

Would you go see Phantom if the Phantom was sick and no one filled in for him?!!?!

INEXCUSABLE!!!!!

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1except that currently you can do just as well with an incomplete show as with a complete show. That seems sketchy to me. Early season shakeups in the scores would be welcome. 2The usuals would be back where they belong/deserve/are slotted in the next few weeks anyway.

ps what is with the jimlad movement...? did it originate in the secret OT forum that I don't have access to? lol

I don't think that's true. I think 11 mins of Cadets beats 5 mins of Cadets. What I think you're referring to is 9.5 minutes of Cadets beats 11 mins of Surf. Is that really so wrong?

As I said earlier who benefits from 2?

:jimlad: the sarcastic pirate is missing from the DCP emoticons. I (and others) would like to see him added (in view of all the sarcasm that appears on DCP :) This all took place right here in this forum I think.

I agree with this. I see no point in tacking on a fake ending that's obviously inferior to what's planned as the final product. Time is precious, and I think the most efficient use of time is best devoted to learning, refining and polishing the real thing, not a facade.

By this logic why would a corps bother doing a full show at all. Why not just put 5 minutes of blazing amazing show on the field, it will be that much less to clean so it can be that much harder, and you can come out and kick the but of corps that took the time to put a complete product (and save the "it's not complete till finals" crap for someone else you know what I'm talking about) on the field and has more dirt because of it. Why are people so opposed to accountability in this activity?

except that currently you can do just as well with an incomplete show as with a complete show. That seems sketchy to me. Early season shakeups in the scores would be welcome. The usuals would be back where they belong/deserve/are slotted in the next few weeks anyway.

ps what is with the jimlad movement...? did it originate in the secret OT forum that I don't have access to? lol

You're right: I don't know how I completely missed the fact that SCV has been beating Blue Devils without performing their closer. :tongue:

No offense, but I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about and it is fairly obvious you've probably not been on drum corps staff and/or judging. Perhaps it's best to just not make ludicrous generalities, like above, if you don't really know what you're talking about...

Hell, while we're at it, why not pay corps less when they have to march holes. Theres no excuse for that with alternates. It's just like Broadway and having a swing come in!

Would you go see Phantom if the Phantom was sick and no one filled in for him?!!?!

INEXCUSABLE!!!!!

Take it further: if a corps doesn't perform their final product in June, they should pay US for the performance. Heck, we're all evaluating their product anyway via applause and DCP critique, so why should we have to pay for shows: corps should be paying us for our expertise!!

Really? An early season, unfinished show is on par with a going to a Broadway musical and not having the second act done?

This is the most ridiculous argument/excuse to ##### about something I've read on this forum in awhile.

I could see your argument if the kids on the field were full-time marchers being paid to do this. If the staffs programming and writing the shows had this and only this to worry about. If they had access to these kids for rehearsal on a full-time basis.

Unfortunately, none of those are true. They get together when they can, learn as much as they can in the time they have, and do so while forking over a crap-ton of cash in lieu of a summer job. If you feel that incensed about not having an additional minute of drum corps when you go in mid-June, I suggest not going in mid-June and getting over yourself.

Incomplete early season shows are a fact of this activity.

You know, the logic is much simpler than this and really requires no fancy analogy to understand. If 3/4 of the corps competing in world class are putting 10 minutes of music and drill on the field by their first shows ( a good number of which are every bit as demanding or more so than the corps putting incomplete shows out) then there is NO LEGITIMATE EXCUSE TO BE MADE BY CORPS WHO SHOWED UP UNPREPARED! And YES, their scores should reflect this. The ONLY other logical option is to say all June shows are exhibition with no scores, only feedback given by judges, then pick a date in July to start giving out scores by which time all corps are required to meet a time minimum and perform complete shows. Competitive activities should strive to eliminate even PERCEIVED advantages to one group over another, let alone obvious ones.

You people have changed my mind on this. I thought that a corps should field a complete show, ready or not, good or bad. But complete. Now I think all they need to do is say hello and play the music if it is ready. If not just use electronics to play it. Wave a few flags and get a score. We could change the rules to just have the bus show up too. That way no one loses sleep. Just wake them up intime to leave for the next no show.

You know, the logic is much simpler than this and really requires no fancy analogy to understand. If 3/4 of the corps competing in world class are putting 10 minutes of music and drill on the field by their first shows ( a good number of which are every bit as demanding or more so than the corps putting incomplete shows out) then there is NO LEGITIMATE EXCUSE TO BE MADE BY CORPS WHO SHOWED UP UNPREPARED! And YES, their scores should reflect this. The ONLY other logical option is to say all June shows are exhibition with no scores, only feedback given by judges, then pick a date in July to start giving out scores by which time all corps are required to meet a time minimum and perform complete shows. Competitive activities should strive to eliminate even PERCEIVED advantages to one group over another, let alone obvious ones.

Again I ask: who benefits from the penalties?

Well good luck eradicating the world of perceptions. Let me know how that works out for ya.

There will always be advantages and disadvantages, both real and perceived, regardless of how level we try to make the playing field.

It's called life.

You know, the logic is much simpler than this and really requires no fancy analogy to understand. If 3/4 of the corps competing in world class are putting 10 minutes of music and drill on the field by their first shows ( a good number of which are every bit as demanding or more so than the corps putting incomplete shows out) then there is NO LEGITIMATE EXCUSE TO BE MADE BY CORPS WHO SHOWED UP UNPREPARED! And YES, their scores should reflect this.

You assume every single corps is dealing with identical circumstances. Same rehearsal facilities, same weather, same membership move-in availability, same talent, same staff. I know we would all like to see the most complete shows possible at these first shows. I got news for you, the corps themselves want to be as complete as possible as well. And sometimes, well, it just doesn't work out that way. Even if you plan with certain obstacles in mind.