Big Bang at Bridgeport - Drums

Great score for Boston! Full panel of judges, they got some good caption scores.

They came across as being larger than life tonight. Great opening statement. Great over all show.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They came across as being larger than life tonight. Great opening statement. Great over all show.

Giants?

I wanted to comment sooner about the show, but had some late work to do for a morning deadline (been playing hooky at drum corps shows like Bridgeport drums)..phewww all finished with that...

Anyway...The thing that struck me the most tonight was exactly what you have commented on about BAC "larger than life". As many shows as I've gone to over the years you get a sense/feeling of knowing that it's time for the BIG BOYS...Well Boston delivered on that promise tonight! Those posters that said Boston is loud you are definitely not lying about that...BUT I must also add that they are not only loud but play a real meaty and challenging musical book and do that with a very rich quality of sound not of which I've heard from them in quite a long time. It is much refined. They also played with zero edginess, no stick-outs, or not even a hint of crassness which sometimes I've heard from them in the past over the years. I still think there is much work to do, but believe me they are on the right track. I really cannot wait to see where this develops as the season progresses...I am always excited for Boston as I'm definitely a homer, but this season is indeed something special indeed.

Boston I challenge you to give me that "goose pimple" moment that only a select few corps have given me in their shows these last 20 years. I know you can do it!

Eat em' up Boston!

Speaking about the other corps...As far spirit...I thought you guys did a really great job selling your show tonight and deserved the victory over the Crossmen tonight. It was a tough call for me though as each corps were stronger in different areas. Jersey Surf I love your theme because I always love patriotic shows. I think your score is scoring a tad lower than expected, but I'm not wearing a green shirt so what do I know? I love music that is so easy to recognize. I never really followed open class(I should be ashamed) and was pleasantly surprised by both the 7th Regiment and Spartans who put on a good entertaining show. Spartans...you guys also have a wonderful show theme btw. I was very much entertained by all the corps tonight including the All-Age corps the Connecticut Hurricanes. This made for a GREAT night for drum corps!!!

Edited by Liahona

Only .5 improvement in two days and still points behind at least six corps, so don't get a bulge yet.

The actual numerical score doesn't mean squat. It's all about who you beat and what the spread is.

My thoughts of the Crossmen:

Groove and playing a melody is back! My favorite since I aged out in 2003

Pit was WAY to loud. Overpowered hornline many times in the beginning of the show.

Hornline needs to play more of the melody instead of just in the pit.

Hornline licks with no purpose can ruin a moment instead of adding to it.

Marching seems to be improved. Very powerful hornline, hoping it wasn't just a keyboard pushing the bass, but a lot of great moments.

Finished strong.

End of guard show not completed.

Made me miss 2002 hardcore.

What did you think of Spirit, Ghost ?

Good score for them ?

Hope the corps bringing up the rear are happy with their results. I'm not interested in the least. May they have a great time each year and improve their skills so they can jump to a higher seeded corps each year and by the time they leave D&B Corps, they get the thrill of marching with a solid top 12 corps. May their parent(s) assist with the majority of the money needed to march. Many of us from the stone age of D&B Corps (and those like me who still cannot read music) will always be about the wins, not "Oh, don't worry kids, you did your best and the crowd liked you." Why the fornicate do they keep score? Don't show the recaps so judges can check what the corps they are about to judge did. You've all read the threads on this site and other "discussion groups" by very respectfull posters how they've lost interest in this "activity". The bando folks should be very happy as D&B Corps slowly sinks with the setting sun.

Hope the corps bringing up the rear are happy with their results. I'm not interested in the least. May they have a great time each year and improve their skills so they can jump to a higher seeded corps each year and by the time they leave D&B Corps, they get the thrill of marching with a solid top 12 corps. May their parent(s) assist with the majority of the money needed to march. Many of us from the stone age of D&B Corps (and those like me who still cannot read music) will always be about the wins, not "Oh, don't worry kids, you did your best and the crowd liked you." Why the fornicate do they keep score? Don't show the recaps so judges can check what the corps they are about to judge did. You've all read the threads on this site and other "discussion groups" by very respectfull posters how they've lost interest in this "activity". The bando folks should be very happy as D&B Corps slowly sinks with the setting sun.

Spirit improved their score and placement over Crossmen. Both these Corps have not given up the Ghost of competing hard for the 12th spot at Finals which right now appears up for grabs and certainly within their reach.

If you are only concerned with " winning " than I'm not even sure why you are even on this Bridgeport thread. That's because none of the Corps in Bridgeport have a shot at " winning " which you claim is your interest. You should be on a thread wih the Blue Devils, or one of the other 2 or 3 Corps that have a legitimate shot of winning.

You appear to be in the wrong house Ghost. Nobody here in this Brdgeport thread is going to be all about "winning "..... ESPECIALLY Boston. It's all about the challenge, the quest, pleasing the fans, etc. So you appear on the wrong thread, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

My thoughts of the Crossmen:

Groove and playing a melody is back! My favorite since I aged out in 2003

Pit was WAY to loud. Overpowered hornline many times in the beginning of the show.

Hornline needs to play more of the melody instead of just in the pit.

Hornline licks with no purpose can ruin a moment instead of adding to it.

Marching seems to be improved. Very powerful hornline, hoping it wasn't just a keyboard pushing the bass, but a lot of great moments.

Finished strong.

End of guard show not completed.

Made me miss 2002 hardcore.

AGREE .....on all points.

They will clean up. looking at recaps they got the numbers where they wanted them. GE VISUAL , MUSIC GE REP. Guard and Percussion.

As they learned in 2009 it does not matter how hard you clean if they show is bad . The show is still bad. IN 2010 the show is very very good.

NOW CLEAN IT.......Its FINALS MATERIAL

other thoughts.

BOSTON -7-9 range , much better than the comp. at this point , but liked them better last season.

Spirit. -will be in top 15-17 again , powerful brass ,

CROSSMEN - looking at the 10-14 range, the groove is back. percussion here is awesome.

Surf - seems like 1 long tune. need to break it up somehow.

missed 7th

Spartans- welcome back , very nice corps.

Edited by FanofNight